• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The superintendent of the Zionsville school system just sent out a community wide email that starts with the below. So yeah, the constant misinformation from the media is being taken at face value. Disappointing.

Dear ZCS Faculty and Parents—

There has not been a school district level message of this type since approximately 239 US school shootings ago (Sandy Hook Elementary School, Connecticut, 2012). There have been five such incidents already in 2018. Perhaps you have heard that there have been 18 school shootings in the past 45 days. (All data from media and research groups responding to the horrible tragedy in Parkland, Florida yesterday.) It is a new year, but this is the same old thing. On average, there are now five school shootings each month in the U.S.

This is why I mentioned a few pages back that we need to find a way to call these people out on their skewed information and give real FACTS. The masses watching MSM take a few snippets and run with it

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    yep, "we have to do something" will be the death of us all.

A2720665-3803-47DB-A81C-2B03D0D3BCC0-452781.JPG

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And that's fine. But with a lot of parents feeling the same way you do, they could probably do a lot of route consolidation. In the grade school I'm talking about, I'm guessing they could get by with 2 buses based on the number of kids that are riding them.

Honestly depends, I don't know what your routes are like but my local school has a couple that if combined the kids would be on the bus for probably close to 2 hrs each way. My local high school handles half the county. Elementary/middle not quite as much but close.

I am under a self imposed media blackout. I'm gonna lose my s**t if I hear another douchebag reporter repeat Everytown For Gun Safety's stat there have been 18 school shootings so far this year.

What happened yesterday was a school shooting. But to get to 18, they had count...

A veteran with PTSD who shot and killed himself in a school parking lot after hours of negotiation with police

And numerous drive by, or fights in parking lots where shots were fired

18 school shooting incidents have occurred in the U.S. so far in 2018

:rolleyes:

The "school" that the veteran committed suicide at, wasn't even used as a school. Hadn't had students in over 6mo at the time. And there were several colleges included.

Even if reported, his guns could not have been confiscated. The "see something, say something" is a dead end. Up until he walked onto the school campus, he had done everything according to the current laws of the state of Florida.

That is false. Under FL law if the police receive a credible report they can take the person into custody for an emergency detention/evaluation. If they find that they are a danger to themselves or others they can be prohibited from posessing/purchasing firearm. Oh and that 30k a year "gun violence" number you listed includes suicides and accidental/negligent shootings. Actual intentional homicides are about 1/3 that.

Unless the timeline is off on the reporting, it would appear that he recieved treatment before purchasing the gun. It is likely he never should have passed the background check, is what I'm saying.

If a person seeks help they should be barred from possessing? What is the cut off? Should veterans who see someone for PTSD be automatically barred? How about a guy who's wife is leaving him to run off with his ex best friend and dog and is depressed?

Let me tell you a story, every word of it is true.
    I have a 19yo step son that has struggled with some mental health issues (I won't be specific about diagnosis). He started seeing a councilor when he was 7 and was medicated. Since that time he has gone on a rollercoaster ride of med changes (different dosages/different meds). He was bullied often. It lead to him getting into more trouble which only gave the other kids more ammunition to push him further to see how he would respond. Several kids were affraid of him. Over the years there has been many fights/suspensions, threats of suicide, police calls with immediate detentions/psych evaluations/ 6months in patient treatment etc. It was almost impossible to get him the help he needed..even the councilors said it was because insurance had the power to push people out the door of hospitals and I made too much money to get any assistance.

I asked several people what I could do to make sure he wouldn't be able to legally get a gun. Nobody ever helped me get that done.

Finally he was taken off all the meds he had been on, and given something different (finally found the right med for him) and we have seen a drastic change for the better. He finally seems to be happy and cares about people.

I put this out there to make the point that this is where we need to find a way to help people who are struggling/troubled...even if that means limiting their right to the 2A while being treated and some for life.

I feel for you, while I haven't went through that I've known others who have. But in your case about all you could have done to prohibit him from legally buying a gun after he turned 18 would be to petition the court to find him a mental defective/incompitant with all the results that come from that.

Sure, if it will be a place to start a reasonable discussion

1. More stringent background checks focusing on mental health and domestic violence.
    2. Very high tax on specific ammunition. However, no tax if bought and used at a shooting range, for instance.

Like I said previously, I don't know what the solution is. I just think that we need to come up with one. Continuing to be nonplussed is no longer working

A person convicted of domestic violence is already prohibited from owning a firearm. Anyone adjudicated mental defective/incompitant or has been commited to a mental institution by the courts is also like wise banned. What more do you think is necessary in this regards for background checks?

And what is to prohibit people from buying at the range and sneaking it out? Or as others have mentioned reloading. Or racking up credit cards. How much did that scumbag in Aurora reportedly spend? Do you think a higher tax on the ammo would have mattered to him?

What are your reasonable solutions? By reasonable, I mean realistic and have the plausibility of a positive outcome.

Or are you fine with kids getting killed in school and say "Well, that's America"?

Ahh here we go, finally. If you don't agree to anything proposed you love seeing dead kids. You should compare the number of deaths by firearms for 14yr olds and under (the cdc doesn't publish 15-17 it's 15-22) and see where they compare to let's say auto accidents, drowning, accidental poisoning, etc.

While it is prudent to look at what can reasonably be done to try to prevent these horrific acts from happening or to lessen their impact, misuse of freedom by some is the price of freedom. ​There is no "will never happen again" solution. None.

QFT

Strangely, more and more issues with the FBI. Maybe they aren't the stellar agency all are so quick to credit them with?

Or perhaps you simply don't hear about it when they got it right?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    One of the killed kids (Nicholas Dworet) was a verbal commit to the University of Indpls for swimming.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    One or two armed officers would of loved to patrol that school. Probably wouldn't even ask for much. That school organization skimping out on security needs to be questioned as well. As of now, if churches and schools don't have at least one armed officer during school and church hours they're sitting sheep now a days. Hence why these places are targeted. It's easy for these sickos to get "even" or their message across. The 2A has a lot of hatred towards us, but how many gun shows or ranges have been targeted? Yes, plenty of store robberies. But totally different crimes and motives.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What crime was committed prior to the shooting? What would you have the FBI do?

Pro-2A folks face quite the conundrum here. We don't want to allow the "common sense" gun control calls to gain momentum so we try to throw out alternatives of our own. Most of the ones I've seen require the government to either be more intrusive into our daily lives by monitoring people who've broken no laws, up to pre-emptively going after people who might be mentally troubled, or cause government to grow in size so we can place armed guards, metal detectors, etc. in our schools.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

They recently banned "zombie knives" in the UK (whatever that is, it's the "assault rifle" of the knife world I think cause it's scary).

Having skulls and name such as "killer" make it illegal to own.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...und-hidden-in-a-bush-in-hackney-10377948.html

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Screen+Shot+2018-02-15+at+3.36.57+PM.png

South Carolina student was arrested on Thursday after posting a Snapchat threatening a repeat of Wednesday's deadly mass shooting,*which took place at a Florida high school.

Spartanburg School District Three spokesperson Sherri Horton told*WHNS*that officials received an anonymous tip about the threat,*which was made via Snapchat, from the parent of another student at*Broome High School.

The alarming photo shows an unnamed ninth-grade boy*wearing a partial face mask and holding what appears to be an assault rifle with the caption "Round 2 of Florida tomorrow."

The parent of the child who received the concerning snap alerted police*and identified the*student featured in the photo to responding deputies.

After authorities went to the suspect's house, he told them that the post was "just intended as a joke and that he didn’t have any serious intentions,"*according*to Lt. Kevin Bobo.

Bobo said the boy's parents allowed deputies to search the home, where they found both the mask and the weapon, which turned out to be a pellet gun.

The suspect, whose name will not be released due to his age, was charged with disturbing schools and transported to the*Department of Juvenile Justice facility in Greenville, South Carolina.*

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    And of course the liberal is totally comfortable with their will being imposed on everyone at the point of the guns of every government agency that they can control.
    The converse side of that is upthread, legal gun owners willing to submit to yet more infringement of our rights for feelz! I’ll take 10 Liberal I haz a sadz to every 1 sellout gun owner Fudd!!!!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What crime was committed prior to the shooting? What would you have the FBI do?
    The amount of thought crime going around today should be enough to intervene? Like the kid in S.C. above who “jokingly” posted about round two, he’s in jail? Not arguing your point as it is correct, but, thought or word crime works when they need it?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We are told "if you see something, say something", but what good is that when the folks you are supposed to tell don't DO anything about it?

And, its not just the FBI.

Yep. What's the point then.
    I thought "intimidation" was a felony charge? I figured if you say you are gonna shoot up a school it is serious **** even if you didn't mean it. I guess not

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom