Not open for further replies.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Pretty sad that my daughter has had armor in her backpack since she was in first grade.
    Schools don't even treat violent students or threats of violence seriously. They still think they can "save" everyone and use a soft touch for their sensibilities.
    This school shooter was known by student and I'm sure we will find out he was known to administrators too. Sad

That’s cool, not the fact she has to, but the idea. Good job.

Avec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    1. Yes, the failing of mental issues being reported and acted upon is bad, but caution on this path as leftist turds can and would abuse it.

2. Words fail me, gtfo with that nonsense. That is Feinstein level bull****.

What are your reasonable solutions? By reasonable, I mean realistic and have the plausibility of a positive outcome.

Or are you fine with kids getting killed in school and say "Well, that's America"?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pretty sad that my daughter has had armor in her backpack since she was in first grade.
    Schools don't even treat violent students or threats of violence seriously. They still think they can "save" everyone and use a soft touch for their sensibilities.
    This school shooter was known by student and I'm sure we will find out he was known to administrators too. Sad

The administrators should be held to task on this one.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Sure, if it will be a place to start a reasonable discussion

1. More stringent background checks focusing on mental health and domestic violence.
    2. Very high tax on specific ammunition. However, no tax if bought and used at a shooting range, for instance.

Like I said previously, I don't know what the solution is. I just think that we need to come up with one. Continuing to be nonplussed is no longer working
    Seriously!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Why sad?
    Go back to in time a bit.
    Towns/communities built walls and had gaurds around their walls for their protection of strangers/invaders.

Old churches in europe have window holes where archers could fire out of when service was going on.

Mankind has always been and will always be an evil bast...
    Mankind also has had the will to protect itself from itself.
    Cases above.

We as a nation have just choosen to not do that.
    You on the other hand have NOT and thus have provided your family with tools to protect themselves. Good for you.

The :sheep: wont do thay.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That’s cool, not the fact she has to, but the idea. Good job.

Thanks.
    Also it's bad policy that schools do not teach teachers and students to break a window and escape the building. They are sitting ducks in a classroom for the lack of a better term.
    Attach a glass breaker next to each window in schools in a box that you break the glass to get into so kids don't just do it for fun.
    Teach your kids that when someone is shooting up their school, rules no longer apply and all that applies is living. Get primal. Screw rules, get out. And don't move with the main crowd into fatal funnels like hallways and doorways. Bad guys know which way people want to get out and they exploit it. Just like animals in the woods use paths just like humans do. GET OFF THE PATH!
    Teach your children how to PROPERLY barricade doors both internal and external opening doors. Line desks or furniture across a room so that when the door is opened it pushes against the opposing wall. Wrap your belt or a shirt around the piston arm at the top of the door to keep it from opening. Don't rely on Doors or locks. please instill these mentalities in your kids. Jumping out of a second story window and breaking a leg is better than being shot and killed. Pain can be overcome. I can't stand seeing children dying anymore.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Today Show, Savannah asks a little girl about how her friend that was shot is doing... she didn't make it, followed by tears... several seconds of awkward silence... you would think a producer would have checked on that before it being asked on TV.

Why would you assume they didn't already know the girl had died and asked the question anyway?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    What are your reasonable solutions? By reasonable, I mean realistic and have the plausibility of a positive outcome.

Or are you fine with kids getting killed in school and say "Well, that's America"?
    So if you're not willing to surrender your guns you are then okay with kids getting killed in schools? Gee, where have I heard all of this before?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    #1....There are already things in place about domestic and other violence that stops new gun purchases. Mental health needs to be addressed but putting that tool in the politicians chest is a slippery slope. I know, I advocate this myself but how.
    #2......I will step into this and say absolutely hell no. WTF hell no. This will fix nothing. Zero. NADA.

It's like he wants shooting to be a "rich white man's sport" only available at the country club. Membership exclusive ranges only for the privileged few.

Ewe, I felt a little SJW for a second.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Why sad?
    Go back to in time a bit.
    Towns/communities built walls and had gaurds around their walls for their protection of strangers/invaders.

Old churches in europe have window holes where archers could fire out of when service was going on.

Mankind has always been and will always be an evil bast...
    Mankind also has had the will to protect itself from itself.
    Cases above.

We as a nation have just choosen to not do that.
    You on the other hand have NOT and thus have provided your family with tools to protect themselves. Good for you.

The :sheep: wont do thay.

Yep you are exactly right. Nail on the head! Too many sheep

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It looks like most here are going with sticking fingers in your ears and hoping the problem goes away.

Columbine - "Lalalalalalala - can't hear you"
    Sandy Hook - "Lalalalalala - still can't hear you"

and on down the list

Just saying, that the 2018 mid terms are set to be a blood bath for republicans. You may want to be part of the solution or continue to be seen as part of the problem. Gun control laws WILL be inacted, and they WILL be upheld based on Heller - Don't misconstrue Heller as a sweeping claim for the 2nd ammendment rights. Even the majority opinion went to great lengths to include that the right keep and bear arms is not absolute, and gun ownership should be considered for the main purpose of home defense.

There are reasonable measures that reasonable people can discuss. There are also measures that can be reasonably pointed out have no discernible positive outcome such as banning a class of weapons based on 'it looks scary'.

Maybe there should be a significant tax on various ammunition. Maybe we should let mental health professionals report problemed people with guns to the local police?

The fact that you weren't coming onto INGO to talk about this last week might suggest that even your own sense of duty to "find an answer" is somewhat motivated by the emotional charge that we all get after a tragedy occurs. How many days will it take for you before the thoughts and ideas that took precedence in your own mind last week will come back to the fore?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Parents should also ask to see your child's schools emergency action plan. It's a book that must be kept in the office and you have the right to see it. Get involved and don't just assume schools will keep your children safe.
    My kids school didn't even require parents to show ID before picking up a kid in the office up to a couple years ago. Also they had guest ID tools but weren't using them. Guess who raised he'll! And now they do use both.
    My daughter also carrys her phone and a GPS tracker on her person at all times when she.leaves the house. When cells go down texts will sometimes work too.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

1. More stringent background checks focusing on mental health and domestic violence.
    2. Very high tax on specific ammunition. However, no tax if bought and used at a shooting range, for instance.

Like I said previously, I don't know what the solution is. I just think that we need to come up with one. Continuing to be nonplussed is no longer working

I appreciate your willingness to explore the options to prevent this.

1. My guess is that the problem is not with the background check, per se, but the information that feeds the system. I think it is probably a problem with the way things are reported. Just like the discharged Airman that shot up the church in TX. The Air Force blew it.

2. I don't think anybody plans to shoot up a school backs out because the taxes on ammo are too high.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

#1- OK. Who will determine the level of crazy that necessitates a person being denied a fundamental right? Will there be actual due process involved? Or is a note from a doctor, clergyman, therapist, disgruntle coworker, teacher or ex-spouse in a custody battle sufficient? How will the reporting to a federal/state databases comply with HIPAA regulations?

#2- Really? To what end? Punitive taxes are used by .gov to discourage negative behaviors. Smoking, drinking, large pops, french fries... You really want the .gov to classify your second amendment right as a negative behavior?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Stop printing their names and pictures for starters. I believe most of these twisted little ****s do it thinking they will go out in a blaze of glory and everyone will remember them, and I might catch some crap but I am all for bringing back public hangings in clear cut instance like this one.

I'm with you on the first part, but the public hanging would still deliver the noteriety these murderers crave.

Do you honestly think a tax is going be any type of deterrent to a person who knows carrying out one of these attacks will leave them either dead or in prison for life?

It's not like they're thinking, "death or prison would suck, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as defaulting on my credit card payment."

There are literally trillions of rounds of ammo in circulation in the US. The only people ammo taxes affect are the law abiding and newer shooters. Gun control groups propose this all the time in an attempt to price people out of the hobby altogether. If people can't afford to shoot, eventually all of the current gun owners will die off, leaving no one left to fight for gun rights.

Personally, I feel so much could be "solved" (violence, petty crime, drug abuse, homelessness, etc...) if we could address mental health, promote strong nuclear families, and look for opportunities (rather than handouts). I am almost starting to believe a large number of those "in charge" (and those that put/keep them there) don't want these to be solved. Breaks my heart.

They don't.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Parents should also ask to see your child's schools emergency action plan. It's a book that must be kept in the office and you have the right to see it. Get involved and don't just assume schools will keep your children safe.
    My kids school didn't even require parents to show ID before picking up a kid in the office up to a couple years ago. Also they had guest ID tools but weren't using them. Guess who raised he'll! And now they do use both.
    My daughter also carrys her phone and a GPS tracker on her person at all times when she.leaves the house. When cells go down texts will sometimes work too.
    Just a quick FYI - some schools may sympathize with a parent's interest in knowing about the emergency action plan, but they also will likely decline to share it. The fear is that a parent with that information may try to "game" the system for purposes of an attack.

It is a difficult situation. They may want parents to be reassured, but not at the expense of opsec.

I am not aware of anything that generally requires the information to be shared with parents.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    For Immediate Release:
    Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018

Governor Eric Holcomb Directs Flags To Be Flown at Half-Staff

INDIANAPOLIS – Governor Eric J. Holcomb is directing flags across the state to be flown at half-staff to honor the victims of the tragedy in Parkland, Florida.

Flags should be flown at half-staff until sunset on Monday, Feb. 19, 2018.

Gov. Holcomb also asks businesses and residents to lower their flags to half-staff until Monday.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    While it is prudent to look at what can reasonably be done to try to prevent these horrific acts from happening or to lessen their impact, misuse of freedom by some is the price of freedom. ​There is no "will never happen again" solution. None.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    For Immediate Release:
    Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018

Governor Eric Holcomb Directs Flags To Be Flown at Half-Staff

INDIANAPOLIS – Governor Eric J. Holcomb is directing flags across the state to be flown at half-staff to honor the victims of the tragedy in Parkland, Florida.

Flags should be flown at half-staff until sunset on Monday, Feb. 19, 2018.

Gov. Holcomb also asks businesses and residents to lower their flags to half-staff until Monday.

Wow...and I just looked up and there is a guy out lowering our flags at work. Timely.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom