• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am looking into picking up a new self defense gun and am torn between a revolver or 1911. What is the general accuracy difference between a 4 or 6 inch revolver and a full size 1911?

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I would say it depends on which 1911 or revolver you are talking about.

Any brand name will most likely be more accurate than the shooter and plenty accurate for a SD handgun.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I would say it depends on which 1911 or revolver you are talking about.

Any brand name will most likely be more accurate than the shooter and plenty accurate for a SD handgun.

^ this, plus for me I shoot a Kimber TLE Custom II a lot better than I can shoot a revolver, but I've shoot the 1911's way more. You really need to try out both styles first and then see which fits you better. They both have their pluses and minuses. Since you are in the Fort Wayne area and so am I, I have a couple of different 1911 sizes you can try but no revolvers. Let me know.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    How much shooting experience do you have?

Most SD situations don't require a super accurate weapon. They do require familiarity and proficiency though.

As the old saying goes, "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian."

Or, as Col. Cooper put it, "Owning a gun makes one a gunman about like owning a piano makes one a musician."

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think an important factor to consider is that the 1911 is single action...you need to decide if you intend to shoot the revolver in single action mode or double action.....If you are not used to the extra trigger pull of DA accuracy may suffer as you get used to shooting a revolver if you have been a SA shooter in the past....:twocents:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Gotta agree that whatever you shoot accurately, can afford and like is best for you. Most firearms are much more accurate that the shooter. Revolvers are simple and reliable, pistols normally hold more rounds. Both go bang and stop bad guys if you hit em.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    WOW that helped the OP out, thanks for the input. :rolleyes:

and your post helped out how?

OP.... there are alot of variables included in this question... age condition, make and manufacturer of the gun for starters... second is YOUR ability to shoot it... i have extensive training, and send a TON of rounds downrange every year and my pistols still outshoot me.... so the real question, is which one fills your intended roll better, and is more comforitable in your hand for YOU to carry and shoot.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    ^ this, plus for me I shoot a Kimber TLE Custom II a lot better than I can shoot a revolver, but I've shoot the 1911's way more. You really need to try out both styles first and then see which fits you better. They both have their pluses and minuses. Since you are in the Fort Wayne area and so am I, I have a couple of different 1911 sizes you can try but no revolvers. Let me know.

and your post helped out how?

OP.... there are alot of variables included in this question... age condition, make and manufacturer of the gun for starters... second is YOUR ability to shoot it... i have extensive training, and send a TON of rounds downrange every year and my pistols still outshoot me.... so the real question, is which one fills your intended roll better, and is more comforitable in your hand for YOU to carry and shoot.

That was my first post which I believe intended to help the OP. I guess my offer to let him shoot my 1911's wouldn't have been as much help as a sarcastic answer was.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i apologize... i just saw some humor in the fact that you were calling out a post that didnt help the OP, by making a post that also didnt help the OP....
    repped anyways.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the information and offers. I may take you up on your offer next spring/summer wtfd661. I ask because I will be working on my property which could present a need for possibly long shots on predators (most likely 4 legged) like coyotes. This would also double as a concealed handgun in winter months for sure and summer months if comfortable/concealable.

As for what brand or model for each pistol, I don't know what I will want yet. But that is a whole other thread. I know it will not be a junk pistol but will have to be somewhat affordable. Let's say a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 and a Smith & Wesson 686.

I like the idea that I would also be able to hunt with the revolver, but I have enough guns to hunt with now and that is not a concern.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    How much shooting experience do you have?

Most SD situations don't require a super accurate weapon. They do require familiarity and proficiency though.

As the old saying goes, "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian."

Or, as Col. Cooper put it, "Owning a gun makes one a gunman about like owning a piano makes one a musician."

I have a lot of experience shooting but very little of that is with a handgun. I do have a PA-63 that I plink with pretty often, but it is not very accurate. Several decent shooters have tried it with the same luck I have, so I am hoping it is the gun.:)

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    I ask because I will be working on my property which could present a need for possibly long shots on predators (most likely 4 legged) like coyotes. This would also double as a concealed handgun in winter months for sure and summer months if comfortable/concealable.

I think you would probably be better off with the 6" rovolver like the 686 for your intended use. The extra sight radius makes those longer shots a bit easier.

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    6 inch barrel is too long and heavy for carry. Revolvers are more accurate than a 1911 in general, excluding some of the expensive 1911's The S&W 686+ is a good choice. They both have advantages over each other and you just need to shoot both. Ammo cost might make you lean one way or the other. Why not buy both!

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a Kimber Pro TLE II amd a Colt Officers ACP. I have been shooting 1911's for over 20 years. They are my weapon of choice. I will, however, admit when it comes to nats a## accuracy, my 6" Colt Python clearly wins the prize. It is way to heavy, bulky and worth too much to carry - but since you asked about accuracy - this is my 2 cents.
    Whatever you decide on, practice in real world scenarios and remember the number one rule - always carry!!

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Good advice given. I wouldn't feel underarmed with a 2-4" .357 as a carry gun, along with a couple of speedloaders (If you're gonna get ready, then get READY). The shorter barreled revolvers (I'm talking Smiths, Colts and Rugers here) are inherently just as accurate as the longer barreled ones. I've seen and made some amazing shots with a snubbie. Seen more than made. They are just a lot tougher to shoot as well due to the lighter weight and shorter sight radius.

And if you are gonna carry it, you are going to want something easier to conceal and carry then a 6 shot revolver. I know it's done and I've done it but the slimness of the 1911 is one of it's biggest attributes when it comes to concealing a weapon on your hip.

I carry a 1911 mostly. Sometimes a LW J frame.

But when I go woods walking, I carry a Model 28 Smith and Wesson.

Buy the 1911 now, it'll suffice for everything quite well. Get a quality 4-6" revolver down the line.

Want us to balance your checkbook and fill out your Christmas list???

We're here for ya.....(:

Top Bottom