• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'm just going to say this quickly and that is it.

It has to be because a bunch of inexperienced, un-knowledgable people are now rushing the stands to buy up guns because of all of the ban talk. Carrying them around, trying to use them without any real knowledge, training, or any expertise at all. Shooting themselves, and making the rest of us responsible owners look bad.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I blame 2 parties, 1: being the operator of the weapon not obeying simple weapons safety rules such as -

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
    Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

and 2 (at least for the Indy show): The haphazard practice of "No loaded firearms" applying to carry weapons, forcing people (at least morally) to unload and show clear their carry weapons when entering-without a clearing barrel. Not even Marines are dumb enough to do this.

It's amazing what a 50 gal drum with sand can do, in this case: prevent Accidental Discharges. Next gun show in Fort Wayne, think I'll deliver one myself.

*Edit* I'm aware the Indy guy was leaving, the policy had him remove it from the holster where the weapon was in fact safe and secure (he's carrying it so I can only assume he had a holster for it).

NastyNate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Reelsville
    First off, thankfully this idiot in Indy didnt shoot anyone other than himself. And second, this is just more fuel for the fire since the news crews were all over the gun show anyway.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I'm just going to say this quickly and that is it.

It has to be because a bunch of inexperienced, un-knowledgable people are now rushing the stands to buy up guns because of all of the ban talk. Carrying them around, trying to use them without any real knowledge, training, or any expertise at all. Shooting themselves, and making the rest of us responsible owners look bad.

We would like to thank this but the fact that the guy was loading a pistol in the parking lot means he has a permit. Which means he has been a gun owner since before the rush or else he wouldn't have a permit yet. Unless he didn't actually have a permit but since they said no charges were being pressed I am sure he did.

Marine1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I this is about firearm safety and being careless.I would like to see a gun law put in regards to firearm safety.Maybe something like you have to take a safety class before you buy a firearm then have it updated every so often (2-4yr)Does anyone else agree or have a different idea ?i would like to hear some of your comments.

i have owned and shot ,cleaned,and repaired gun for 35yrs and Never have had a accidental discharge also have been through multi safety and training classes and even taught a few.I am very big on firearm safety!!!!

Thank you be safe and enjoy shooting

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    :popcorn:

You can't fix stupid with training. You, I believe a fellow Devil Dog, should know this better than our civilian brothers.

Forcing training is perceived as another way to infringe and track. I don't like the idea.

Sorry

Semper Fi.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Would you support a governmentally mandated comparative religion class before you were allowed to go to church, temple, mosque?

Would you support a governmentally mandated poli sci class before you are allowed to vote?

Why would you create a barrier to entry to any civil right? What if the "gun safety" class is $5,750.00 and has a waiting list of 8 months and is only held in a corner of the state?

i have owned and shot ,cleaned,and repaired gun for 35yrs and Never have had a accidental discharge

Then you know that every time, every single time, you load or unload the weapon can discharge. Be around guns enough and one WILL go off when you don't want it to and your finger is not on the trigger.

Problem is that many do not realize this and say "jist unload eet in the parkin' lot" thus creating this problem.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I this is about firearm safety and being careless.I would like to see a gun law put in regards to firearm safety.Maybe something like you have to take a safety class before you buy a firearm then have it updated every so often (2-4yr)Does anyone else agree or have a different idea ?i would like to hear some of your comments.

i have owned and shot ,cleaned,and repaired gun for 35yrs and Never have had a accidental discharge also have been through multi safety and training classes and even taught a few.I am very big on firearm safety!!!!

Thank you be safe and enjoy shooting

That is a very disappointing attitude. :noway:

climber1218

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I think anything mandatory is a slippery slope. Anytime a right becomes regulated to the point of having an authoritarian entity provide the impetus for the training, it then is set up for a corruption of that right. It makes the content of the training subject to political forces. I fully agree that training is very important though. I think the real task is developing the means to make that training easily accessible - including enough places for the general populace to shoot and be exposed to firearm safety.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Negligent discharges

Notice I did not use the term "accidental"....I have been involved with firearms for decades. both as a private citizen and as a professional. I have witnessed and/or investigated dozens of negligent discharges.....Every instance the shooter violated the first three basic safety rules.
    1. Never point the weapon at anything you do not want to shoot.
    2. Keep you finger off from the trigger.
    3. Always treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    I have instructed thousands of LEO's and citizens during my four decades as an instructor, and always hammered the safety tenets into their heads, but you cannot fix stupid, or carelessness. And I have seen a lot of people do stupid, careless things with various implements, including firearms. In some cases minutes after a safety class.
    More laws is not the answer.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Mandatory training is a bad idea. If my life were threatened today, why should I have to wait on a safety class, especially if the threat is happening now? I should be able to go to my LGS and walk out the door with the firearm of my choice with a matter of minutes (provided the background check is cleared).

Marine1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Terre Haute
    :popcorn:

You can't fix stupid with training. You, I believe a fellow Devil Dog, should know this better than our civilian brothers.

Forcing training is perceived as another way to infringe and track. I don't like the idea.

Sorry

Semper Fi.

I do agree with you but i was thinking more about the ones who are resonable people but have no gun training to start with

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I do agree with you but i was thinking more about the ones who are resonable people but have no gun training to start with

You have the right goal in mind, but, with respect, looking at it through the wrong set of field glasses.

Consider this, any time the government gets involved in making stuff mandatory it makes it inferior quality, expensive and inconvenient.

The proper focus is to make the culture conducive to training. Make training "cool", the thing to do.

How do we do this? Well, there are things the government can do: tax deductions of gun training (above the line), no high school diploma without firearms training at 6th, 8th, 10th and senior year, provide P-R funds for public ranges, inter alia.

However, most of what government should do is simply get out of the way. We as a gun culture need to carry the ball.

Marine1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Notice I did not use the term "accidental"....I have been involved with firearms for decades. both as a private citizen and as a professional. I have witnessed and/or investigated dozens of negligent discharges.....Every instance the shooter violated the first three basic safety rules.
    1. Never point the weapon at anything you do not want to shoot.
    2. Keep you finger off from the trigger.
    3. Always treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    I have instructed thousands of LEO's and citizens during my four decades as an instructor, and always hammered the safety tenets into their heads, but you cannot fix stupid, or carelessness. And I have seen a lot of people do stupid, careless things with various implements, including firearms. In some cases minutes after a safety class.
    More laws is not the answer.
    THIS IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT !! i sure you have helped several people be safe with guns no we cant fix stupid but maybe help some handle guns safer.
    thank you for your reply

Top Bottom