• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    On this issue I am of conflicting ideals.

As on these boards and in civilization in general we should strive toward tolerance of different ideas, thoughts, views and perspectives. We should be respectful of one another on events from which direct harm does not follow. At one point in our own history abolitionists were found worthy of derision by an overwhelming segment of our society. However, their message grew and the demographics changed. At one point the idea of home rule and self determination were in the minority in the colonies, until those ideas and ideals grew to nationhood. At one point the idea that women should stand equally under the law was considered idiotic and ridiculous, worthy of hatred by some, due to the obvious inferiority of women. There are many times when ideas considered worthy of derision or hatred grow into the majority and displace the olde guard.

At the same time the idea of using words or symbols for the sole purpose of hatred or agitating someone else is in and of itself worthy of derision.

Yet, just because something is worthy of derision should it be banned? It is only through open, intellectual conflict born in the fires of passion that logical, cogent thought can prevail and destroy an idea unworthy of respect. By burying an offensive thought, word, or gesture we cannot confront it and destroy it in the open light of day. For an idea to be truly purged from thought it must be allowed to be in the open and confronted civilly and logically.

Can we trust teenagers to do this? Should we trust teenagers to do this? While it is certain that some passions will run high and boundaries be crossed, without allowing such we cannot truly destroy the idea. It will continue to fester and agitate under the skin of our society.

Let teachers teach, without the shackles of bureaucracy and political correctness holding them back. If we let symbols of hate or disrespect into an alleged learning environment, let us shout from every mountaintop that these ideas will be allowed in, only to be slaughtered in a crucible of truth and logic. Let those who wish to wallow in hatred and intolerance know that they are free to do so, yet if they wish to share those ideas they will be met, and destroyed, with greater ideals based upon morality, tolerance, and justice.

We allow our fears to govern us too much, methinks.

Regards,

Doug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can't disagree with that. The main thing I would worry about with a rainbow flag being flown next door is how my house will look in comparison.

If it's a neighbor, whatevs. It's their property. If it's the statehouse, no.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't think the school is projecting any morality. The school wants to prevent fights.

That comment was aimed at your persistence to define for everyone what that flag represents.

For the purposes to ban/not to ban, I think a school board elected by a community has a right to determine acceptable behavior by its own standards.

And in a world long gone, the school could say, what's in your truck is your business and the consequences are solely your responsibility. If you get yer ass beat because you parade around with something offensive, as long as no one's mamed or dead, that's probably not such a bad lesson to learn. But no, 'Murica likes raising pussies with no coping skills. So we hire you guys and sue over petty ****.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was listening to the radio a few days ago and whoever it was talking mentioned that at some colleges, professors (probably the same ones that infected and promulgated the PC disease) are now in fear of being sued themselves. I couldn't help but laugh. We reap what we sow.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I don't believe the flag should be flown on government grounds. I think it's wrong to fly it in the face of taxpayers who find it offensive that indirectly pay for it to be flown. But on private property, that's when it's okay to tell them to grow a hair on their pair.

That being said, schools have had similar policies for years now. Pro-confederate, anti-confederate, swastikas, crossed out swastikas, you name it, for the most part are banned. I am conflicted about this because students do not have the same rights as they do outside of school but I can understand the school's position of "we don't want this stuff because it can distract students from their education by causing disharmony".

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That comment was aimed at your persistence to define for everyone what that flag represents.

Me? You think I am a school administrator?

The Confederacy was a racist government whose purpose was to preserve white supremacy. One cannot dispute that.

What it means now to those who do not study history? Meh, could mean a dozen things, but that does not trump the historical truth of what it represents.

I think the school is doing the smart thing and preventing any disruption in the educational process.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Lol, point taken, Blackhawk, but I am writing as to the school motivations. Preventing violence and saving the taxpayers' money is their motivation for this decades old prohibition.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think the school is doing the smart thing and preventing any disruption in the educational process.
    Too late. Schools are already disrupting the educational process.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    And Bobby Lee, Jr. gets the South end of himself handed to him in the bathroom, who do you expect to be sued? Longstreet? Stephens? President Davis? Or the school?

How about the same people that got sued when I had swastikas and a photo of Hitler with the words, "Happy birthday, jewboy" put on my belongings at a school in Mississippi by my dear classmates?
    How about the same people who turned and looked the other way when the other students decided to gang up on me in 10th grade... at a parochial school, no less!

By the way, that would be "no one". I got the advice to "consider the source" and "just ignore them". I also got asked what I did to provoke it, which would be "nothing", unless you count the crime of being born into a Jewish family.

Learning to cope doesn't mean someone gets his ass kicked. It means that not everyone is going to be a nice person, and you just have to learn that and avoid who you can.

And just to get it said.... This is how it went down for the kid whose dad was a lawyer, too.

Blessings,
    Bill

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This whole "heritage not hate" thing shows that nonsensical alliteration is not limited to any one movement.

Thing is, that school had one black person in the entire school. Many of the students probably just don't care, or think about it, concerning the issue because no one there sees the image as offensive. If I had gone to an all black school with a panther mascot, with Eldridge Cleaver riding on its back and giving the black power salute, while holding a red, green, and black flag, I probably wouldn't think anything about it, because no whites went to the school, and I didn't have to think about their perception of the images.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Me? You think I am a school administrator?

The Confederacy was a racist government whose purpose was to preserve white supremacy. One cannot dispute that.

What it means now to those who do not study history? Meh, could mean a dozen things, but that does not trump the historical truth of what it represents.

I don't think you're a school administrator. You keep saying that the flag represents racism and seem to imply that everyone else should see it that way too. 150 years ago, sure. I'm not disputing the nature of the Confederacy. I'm aware of its history and the history of that flag. Times change, attitudes change, symbols change.

I am fully aware of the history of that flag, yet I don't see it as a symbol of racism or slavery any longer. I base that on my own observations having lived in the South for several years. The general fondness fondness for that flag now has a lot more to do with regional pride than civil war era symbols.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't think you're a school administrator. You keep saying that the flag represents racism and seem to imply that everyone else should see it that way too. 150 years ago, sure. I'm not disputing the nature of the Confederacy. I'm aware of its history and the history of that flag. Times change, attitudes change, symbols change.

I am fully aware of the history of that flag, yet I don't see it as a symbol of racism or slavery any longer. I base that on my own observations having lived in the South for several years. The general fondness fondness for that flag now has a lot more to do with regional pride than civil war era symbols.

There's really not much I can disagree with in your post. I don't find the flag offensive, and believe most people who have it aren't racist. They, and many are people I love and grew up with, see it as part of their heritage. But a great many see it as part of what oppressed their ancestors. In both regards, privately, each should respect the other's perception. Publicly, as in regards to govt sanctioning the flags' use, it should not be embraced, as it does not encompass the entirety of the public the govt serves.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How about the same people that got sued when I had swastikas and a photo of Hitler with the words, "Happy birthday, jewboy" put on my belongings at a school in Mississippi by my dear classmates?

Well, not to give the game away but I imagine that when we were kids the world was less focused on litigation and the insurance rates were not as high.

But I imagine that is why your school in Mississippi made such harrassment against the rules just as the school here in West Virginny makes clothing that displays fighting words, such as a Confederate banner, a prohibited item.

Top Bottom