• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I took the class three years ago. Definitely worthwhile.

I don't actually have a motorcycle right now. I sold mine in February and am still holding the cash. Hopefully this month I get that fixed.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My wife took the class five years ago. The instructors were very gruff and kinda mean.

My wife had never ridden anything more than a bicycle before the class.

By the end of the second day she understood why the instructors were so tuff. They were teaching life saving skills. If you can't deal with them them dealing with situations on the road isn't for you.

She tells me that she doesn't think that they will give her a passing grade when she is leaving for the last class. The last class has the riding portion that she has to pass before getting her waiver. I'm starting to panic because if she doesn't pass I will have to teach her and that just won't go well.

Then I had a brilliant thought I will use her competitiveness to my advantage. There were two young ladies in the class that thought they were all that (One wore a tank top that said sinful, the other was a SB police officer). I sent a text to my wife that said.

"Honey don't worry about not passing the class. It's not a big deal if the other girls beat you. I can spend countless hours teaching you the correct way to ride".

She scored second highest in her class. When she told be about reading the text she was waving her index finger back and forth with her head doing the same motion saying "Oh NO they are not gonna score higher than me"

I did have to teach her everyday riding because all they taught her was emergency stops and riding skills. Everytime she stopped the front forks compressed. I asked her why she was stopping so hard. She said that's how they taught her.

She now rides a 2014 Street Glide Special.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I work with a female abate instructor, Molly, she's easy going. I was thinking about becoming an instructor myself, but it just demands too much time.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I took the ABATE course 20+ years ago.
    Had fun, learned a lot and got my Motorcycle Endorsement with it.
    It's definitely worth it.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I didn't take the class. I got online and found the skills test they offer. I set up a course exactly like theres and practiced everyday on my Wide Glide. Test time came and I passed. Now I ride a Street Glide, wish I could've taken the test on that.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    All you guys on bikes, seriously, be safe. I lost more than a few friends on bikes, and sold my a few years back. Miss it, but every time I get the itch to buy a another, I see something that changes my mind.

Kut (will add riders to his prayer tonight)

+1. I sold my bike because of all of the other drivers. I'm not sure how many times I was almost run over. Wasn't worth it to me. Thank goodness for ABATE and the training. SEE

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I plan on taking ABATE once school gets over this year...it's a never ending barrage of comments/insults not being able to ride while my dad has 7 motorcycles :n00b:

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm going to try and sign up for one of the courses later this year. I've been on a dirt bike a few times, but never driven on the road.

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    I had another rider run into me today, we were doing an obstacle where you weave between cones and then ride in a straight line for a bit as you re-approach the obstacle. I was turning to start the obstacle and I hear a wide open throttle behind me, I glanced back and she was right on me, dented the exhaust cover on my bike but got damn close to my leg/ankle. She had dropped her bike once already and an instructor pulled her to the side and talked to her. She hit me not a minute after she was done being lectured. She dropped her bike a second time and I think she broke her wrist.

N8MVbDkh.jpg

I think I did alright today for my first time on a bike. I did drop it once as I was coming to a stop, I think I applied too much front brake too quick and it went over. The instructors said I did good. I got 100% on my written test. Hopefully tomorrow goes without incident.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    That front brake can be pretty unforgiving on some bikes, especially if you have the front wheel turned even slightly. Does ABATE still supply the bikes for the class?
    i have to feel a little sorry for that girl. I remember grabbing a handful of throttle instead of brake when taking my first exam, just nervous! Glad she didn't hurt anyone but herself.

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    That front brake can be pretty unforgiving on some bikes, especially if you have the front wheel turned even slightly. Does ABATE still supply the bikes for the class?
    i have to feel a little sorry for that girl. I remember grabbing a handful of throttle instead of brake when taking my first exam, just nervous! Glad she didn't hurt anyone but herself.

They supply bikes for the basic rider course, the advanced rider course requires your own bike. As for the woman, she was having quite a bit of problems from the start, she definitely gave it her best shot.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    They supply bikes for the basic rider course, the advanced rider course requires your own bike. As for the woman, she was having quite a bit of problems from the start, she definitely gave it her best shot.

Hopefully she didn't already spend big money on a bike, and then find out riding isn't for her! There were a couple of girls like that in my Beginner class. The Advanced course is a lot different, and I found it helpful getting to take it on my own bike. It was around this time of year, and the weather was horrible, had to ride about 60 miles to get there. Got terrible wind burn on the way back, but I was sure proud of myself for passing! :)

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    Heh, she had a brand new Indian picked out at the shop where the class is being held. I don't think she signed any papers yet though. It got really windy here after lunch today, glad the riding portion ended at noon. Glad you passed! I may take the advanced course in the future, I don't have a bike yet, don't even have a permit.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I'm going to try and sign up for one of the courses later this year. I've been on a dirt bike a few times, but never driven on the road.
    Good luck finding an available class. I need to take a class to get my endorsement, but there aren't any available that are within a few hours drive. You'd think that the there would be lots of options since a class is necessary for the endorsement. I wish the BMW would offer some type of test.

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    Good luck finding an available class. I need to take a class to get my endorsement, but there aren't any available that are within a few hours drive. You'd think that the there would be lots of options since a class is necessary for the endorsement. I wish the BMW would offer some type of test.

My class was in Clarksville, we had a couple people from Seymour and one woman from Indianapolis. There are 3 spots still available in an August class.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN

I'm not sure if it's still the case but you used to get first crack at classes at the Indy Sport Boat and Travel Show. It's been several years but I got signed up there and could pretty much pick any class I wanted.

Top Bottom