• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    If you own an AR this is a very handy tool to have when you clean or do maintenance on your rifle. You screw it to a work bench or like I did to a board and clamp it to a table. The vise clamps your rifle at the top rail or you can use the provided attachment to slide your magwell over it. It also has a small picatinny rail that fits in the clamp so you can hold anything that takes a pic rail such as the red dot sight I have in the photo. They are made by Rail Vise Technologies, LLC in El Cajon, CA.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW0XMc7fg0o[/ame]

dsc00006.jpg.w560h363.jpg

I just screwed the clamp and front barrel rest to an old board I had in the garage but you can make something fancy or screw it directly to a workbench.

dsc00014.jpg.w560h373.jpg

If you just want to work on the underside of the upper it is very easy and allows you to have both hands free.

dsc00019.jpg.w560h544.jpg

This is the small picatinny rail that is held by the clamp.

dsc00015.jpg.w560h381.jpg

This is the MagWell adapeter you can clamp onto the vise and slide your rifles magwell over it to work on the top side.

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Does it work if you have an optic, that you don't want to remove?

It clamps on the picatinny top rail or the magwell so if you have a optic attached to the pic rail you can only hold the rifle right side up. I added a Youtube video that really shows this well.

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    I bought one on a whim after seeing this post last week, and it was waiting in my mailbox on Saturday.
    I threw it on the work bench and I'm impressed. It's a very novel idea, and it made it nice to clean my rifle while taking my time and not having to fumble with akward grips while running though patches. I give it a :yesway:
    Thanks Michiana!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Only part I don't really like is having to remove the optics from the upper to clamp it in the vise. Does this throw off the sight requiring re-zeroing each time? That is probably the only feature keeping me from getting one.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You can attach it through the magwell instead.

But if you have LaRue Scope mounts they will return to zero as long as you put them in the same slots.

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    Only part I don't really like is having to remove the optics from the upper to clamp it in the vise. Does this throw off the sight requiring re-zeroing each time? That is probably the only feature keeping me from getting one.

You can attach it through the magwell instead.

But if you have LaRue Scope mounts they will return to zero as long as you put them in the same slots.

This. :thumbsup:

If you mount/clamp the holder on the edge of your bench, you can use the magwell adapter and let your upper hang at a 90 degree angle after you push out the takedown pin. Allows for a good cleaning without loosing your zero.
    HTH,
    -Andy

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Shouldn't be an issue

Unless you have some sloppy POS mount it should go right back on your Picatinny rail and not affect your zero. That is the purpose of these rails.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Good! Thanks for the info. I have a EoTech 516 mounted and just wasn't sure about removing it each time and how that would effect it.:)

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Does it hold the upper receiver tight enough to change a barrel or a flash hider?
    I can't see the video at work.

Per the instructions that came with the vise......

Quote;
    Warning - The Rail Vise is not intended for holding the upper receiver of an AR type firearm during the tightening or loosening of the barrel nut securing the barrel to the upper receiver.

Warning - The Rail Vise is not intended to be used in any application that requires high torque to be applied to any firearm while the firearm is held in the Rail Vise.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Per the instructions that came with the vise......

Quote;
    Warning - The Rail Vise is not intended for holding the upper receiver of an AR type firearm during the tightening or loosening of the barrel nut securing the barrel to the upper receiver.

Warning - The Rail Vise is not intended to be used in any application that requires high torque to be applied to any firearm while the firearm is held in the Rail Vise.

Thank you.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom