• spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This is ridiculous. he's 9 years old.

Nine-year-old told he's too good - MLB - SI.com

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.
    The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.
    Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.
    But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.
    "He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"
    The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.
    "I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."
    Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.
    Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.
    "I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."
    League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.
    "He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."
    Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.
    "Facing that kind of speed" is frighteneing for beginning players, Noble said.
    League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.
    League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.
    "I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.
    Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.
    League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.
    Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.
    "You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"
    Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It is stupid on one hand but then again, if he's that good on the mound and off, why not go play with other players that would be more of a challenge to hone those skills??:dunno:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I might agree with asking him and his parents to move up to an older group, but this really sums up a lot of what is wrong in this country. We no longer celebrate the best and the brightest. We now punish achievement. We are now all about equality and fitting in, not about standing out and excelling. If some one is better than the others, it might make the others feel bad about themselves. We start out early in their lives and then continue. What are we being told now by our political masters? If someone does too well, it just isn't right. We need to tax him, regulate him. Not celebrate his achievements.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I might agree with asking him and his parents to move up to an older group, but this really sums up a lot of what is wrong in this country. We no longer celebrate the best and the brightest. We now punish achievement. We are now all about equality and fitting in, not about standing out and excelling. If some one is better than the others, it might make the others feel bad about themselves. We start out early in their lives and then continue. What are we being told now by our political masters? If someone does too well, it just isn't right. We need to tax him, regulate him. Not celebrate his achievements.

There is a rather off-color "joke" that is told by some. I repeat it here not to offend but to make a point:

Q: "What's better than winning a gold medal in Special Olympics?"
    A: "Not being retarded in the first place."

It would seem that the league would rather "everyone is a winner" to build everyone's "self-esteem" rather than allow Jericho to build some self-respect and incidentally, allow any of the kids who manage to connect with his heat and knock it out of the park to do likewise.

In Special Olympics, this attitude is warranted and even, perhaps, appropriate. Concessions are made to those whose "competetion" is only with themselves and who are there for the sole purpose of belonging to a group. At some point, someone decided that it was a good idea to praise people and tell them they did well when they really didn't do anything good or bad. It's kind of like our "rep" system here. If we all added rep to every post we saw, we'd all have a whole bunch of little green boxes next to our names, but what would they mean? Essentially nothing. I much prefer a
    system where if someone likes my post; if it made them think, or if it made them see something differently, or whatever... that those individual posts earn the rep points and that says to someone who looks at it, "Hey.. lemme look at that one again..."

Self-esteem is garbage. It's worthless. It's feel-good liberal :bs: designed to minimize the value of those who excel, because you don't have to do anything to earn it. That makes it valueless.

Self-respect is earned. You do something worthy of it and you reap the rewards. You know that you excel in something and take your well-earned pride in your accomplishments. That makes it priceless.

Just my :twocents:

Blessings,
    B

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Why don't they bump him up to the next league. Probably better competition for him there anyway.

Exactly. Problem solved. The kids get to play and this kid gets to get even better by facing more challenging opponents. Doing anything else is just liberal hippy pansy feel good crap.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Little League......Where are you?

I'm making an assumption here, possibly in error since the Little League World Series being over may signal the season's end, that this organization is a sanctioned member of Little League. If so........I hope the national organization steps in and tells the local league they are in danger of losing their charter (or whatever) if they don't allow this kid to play in his age group. If I were his parent, I might be interested in moving him up to play against better (older?) players just to improve his game. I think that would depend on the kid. In all likelihood, he's playing with his friends.

The whiners who want him banned are also sending the message to their own kids that they just aren't good enough to play against the best kid around! OTOH, you can bet your posterior that every coach, player, and parent would want this kid on their team. :twocents:

Edit: I've looked a little farther and found the league in question is not affiliated with Little League.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.
    Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

OTOH, you can bet your posterior that every coach, player, and parent would want this kid on their team.

Some think that they did, and he joined a different team, so now it's "dog in the manger": If you won't play for us, you won't play for anyone else, either.

I really hope this is fought and beaten, otherwise it may send a very bad message not only to this kid but to all the others and their parents.

Blessings,
    B

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom