9/11, where were you and how did it affect you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Langley AFB, Virginia. I was stationed at Eglin AFB in Ft Walton Beach, FL, but was in Va with my boss and my boss's boss (both civilians, boss was retired USAF, his boss was a military brat married to an AF retiree). I'd been in the USAF 15 years at that point and was a long way from Salem, Indiana. I pictured a Cessna hitting the building when it came over the radio, found out different a few minutes later. We had to switch rental cars at Norfolk IAP. The Navy fleet was out in force in Chesapeake Bay, the airport was a ghost town.

After the 18 hour drive home the next day (nothing flying 12 Sept) I drove in the east gate at Eglin (from Niceville, we lived on base) about 2300 after dropping the other two off: light carts were putting spotlights out like crazy. There was a Peacekeeper (armored Dodge Ramcharger) with an M-60 mounted on top, I could see the ammo belt hanging from it. I remember thinking that the world we knew would never be here again.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Langley AFB, Virginia. I was stationed at Eglin AFB in Ft Walton Beach, FL, but was in Va with my boss and my boss's boss (both civilians, boss was retired USAF, his boss was a military brat married to an AF retiree). I'd been in the USAF 15 years at that point and was a long way from Salem, Indiana. I pictured a Cessna hitting the building when it came over the radio, found out different a few minutes later. We had to switch rental cars at Norfolk IAP. The Navy fleet was out in force in Chesapeake Bay, the airport was a ghost town.

After the 18 hour drive home the next day (nothing flying 12 Sept) I drove in the east gate at Eglin (from Niceville, we lived on base) about 2300 after dropping the other two off: light carts were putting spotlights out like crazy. There was a Peacekeeper (armored Dodge Ramcharger) with an M-60 mounted on top, I could see the ammo belt hanging from it. I remember thinking that the world we knew would never be here again.

Thank you for your service Sir! Especially during such a difficult time in our history. :patriot:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I remember it vividly. I was self employed and didnt have any client visits scheduled that day. I woke to my buddy calling and asking if I had the news on. I turned it on and was floored. I watched as the second one hit. I vividly remember just sitting there on my futon absolutely in disbelief. Pretty much watched TV all day and it was like a dream. Ive never been a hugely religious person, but many tears and prayers were said that day. To this day I can close my eyes and see that apartment vividly.

I’ll never forget walking out on my balcony and it was amazing how quiet it was. I never realized just how much jet noise there was, and I was near 79th and Harcourt... nowhere near the airport. Even several days later, it was still eerily quiet. Even though you cant see them, you hear them whether you realize it or not.

At the time I was a skydiver, and drove that Friday afternoon to the DZ out in Richmond (IN). We were still grounded, but the FAA said they might consider allowing our air traffic by Saturday since we were easy to control, never left our airport airspace, and was in operation in the region for decades. Everyone at the field office knew the owners personally, several watching the owner’s kids grow up to take over the operation. Unfortunately the Air Force nipped that in the bud with us being so close to Wright Patterson. So we hung out together and drank beer. It was a very somber time.

We had nothing better to do, so we hung our american flag up on the 50' tall beacon tower which is normally off limits to us. (We had a tendency to get drunk and then ride the rotating beacon naked… It was considered a rite of passage:):) Management didn't say a word this time, and never asked us to take it down. And it was no small flag. As I recall the vertical on the flag was 10' ish.

I really wish I could find that picture to share :( Its somewhere in my boxes of photos.

How did it change me? I no longer take life for granted. Nor my freedoms. Like CM said, thats what began the BoBs, 72 hr kits and being prepared. I was pretty patriotic and grateful to first responders and military before, but now I "get it".

Flag was about half this size... (and this is what the flag we had was used for)
    10698418_704370739617305_5124977305831748829_n.jpg

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I have yet to read through all of these, but I will continue after my post, because honestly, I will NEVER forget, even for my young age.

2001, that puts me at 9 years old. I remember waking up that morning, in a really good mood. My mom had told me the day before I could have a light school day (i was home schooled). Anyway, I woke up to get right on my school. Before I went into our dining room to begin my work, I went into my parents room to wish my dad a happy birthday. Both of my parents were looking at the TV in shock. Before I continue, I should add this was before the second plane hit. I can remember this conversation being had between my parents:

Mom: Oh my, those poor people
    Dad: Yup
    Mom: Well, sorry this had to happen today sweety (refering to my Dad's Bday)
    Dad: Don't say that, I'm alive. Unlike some people involved in this accident.
    Dad: Well, I need to get to work. Love you two.

Fast forward a while, dad leaves, mom leaves to do kitchen work, and I'm left alone with the TV. I sat....and sat....and sat in awe at this thing. I was young, and this whole incident was just fascinating to me. Then is happened, literally in slow motion before my young eyes. That second plane came into the shot of the Ariel view CNN was providing and, well..boom. I got out of my parents bed, ran into the kitchen as fast as I could to tell my mom. She was on the phone with my dad who was getting her opinion on something. Again, I'll never forget this conversation:

Me: Mommy, MOMMY!
    Mom: What Aaron? Can't you see mommy is on the phone?
    Me: But Mom! Another plane hit that other tower!!!
    Mom: (white as a ghost).............Sorry Hun, I have to go. Another plane flew into the other tower. (click)

We ran back to their room just as CNN started to put together what was going on. The look on my mom's face was pure horror. We spent all day watching that damn TV. I remember being SSOO happy because I didn't end up doing school that day. Being too young to realize the consequences of that day.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was a junior in high school at the time and I remember between the first and second periods a friend came up to me and was like we are under attack and I thought they were being crazy but as soon as I walked into my algebra class for second period the tv was on and saw the second plane hit... It was at that point everyone realized we really under attack and the classroom became eerily quiet. Then the towers fell... Throughout the day it was the quickest I saw people trying to get to class so they could see the coverage. I remember that throughout the day and the days that followed my teachers, classmates and I didn't learn or discuss anything that would be on a test but instead had open and candid conversations about what has happened and what it might mean for our country. It is something that I will remember more than anything in the books we read or homework assigned.

digijock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Beech Grove
    I was starting my second day at a new job. My wife was already at work, starting earlier than me. I got up, and shortly after she called me in tears, telling me to turn on the TV and look. She didn't have access to a live news feed, so she had no idea what exactly things looked like. I went to the living room and turned on the TV, and the first thing I remember seeing was the first tower collapsing, followed by replays of the impacts of the aircraft. I was completely stunned. I tried to explain to her, but I was awestruck. It took a minute or two to really soak in the reality of what was happening, and then they started talking about the impact at the pentagon. I can remember vivdly sitting at the couch, watching this screen, talking to her and trying to relay the event as it was being displayed to me. The only words I can think to describe the situation were horror and disbelief. The video was completely devastating. Still, I turned off the coverage and proceeded to work, not knowing at all what the unfolding events would be. As it turns out, I had missed the major portion of the attack in my sleep. At work, some of the businesses sharing the same office building were sending their staff home for the day due to the traumatic nature of things. My company did not, and I stayed for the duration of the day. But I have no idea at all what I did during that day at work. I vaguely remembering talking about "this is WWIII beginning". Beyond that, I can't recall anything. Just being glued to the coverage for days afterwards. I was unlike anything I had ever experienced. Watching any video of this event still numbs me. I think it was a turning point for me, where I had the realization - truly - that there is evil, and that it is not just an idea derived from theory or philosophy. Until that point, absolute evil was only a concept that had no apparent experience with which to relate in my lifetime.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I was at work, Illinois Secretary of State, Driver's Services station in Champaign, IL. Someone came in the door yelling that this had just happened and I didn't believe hum s I asked him not to yell or I would ask him to leave. He said he was serious and showed me his phone that had texted him the breaking news or IDK how it got to him but there it was and my jaw dropped open and yelled "FOR REAL, He's Telling the truth!"

The boss turned on her little TV and everyone in the place sat there and watched it over and over happen again, this was only the first plane. Her manager phone rang and we had to clear the place because someone had also called in a bomb threat on "all governmental buildings" so we were to close and go home (with pay) We got the closing and end of day stuff done and left in seconds and I was home seconds afterward as I lived a mile away. I turned on my TV and just as I did the second plane struck. I watched all of this and all the other big events of the day as they happened and went back to work the next day.

Top Bottom