Boone County

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Wonder what happened to them? For every 250 students, they were given the ability to obtain one. We were told after that horrible incident a few years ago they were an urgent need to prevent future school shootings.

Working at a High School after I retired I saw the new wand metal detectors in the office. They were never used as far as I know. This was a rural area, low risk school so probably not really essential.

Don

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    This only gets worse as details emerge . . .
    • The boy had a history of violent classroom behavior throwing chairs and desks
    • Several teachers had repeatedly expressed concerns about his dangerously violent behavior to school admin and were ignored
    • He handed another teacher a written note expressing the desire to light the teacher he shot on fire and watch her die -- which was presented to school administration who told the teacher who received it to drop it.
    This was a ticking time bomb, and the school administration willfully ignored the severity of it. Something we used to call "Management by Doing Nothing" in one of my previous lives. In addition . . . see third bullet point . . . we're no longer dealing with just actus reus (the criminal act itself) in this 6 year old, we're dealing with mens rea. He formulated a purposeful, conscious intent to murder his teacher and then took planned, premeditated actions to carry it out. This kid should have been institutionalized. I'm still completely baffled about the parents . . . and the school administration's deliberate inaction is indefensible . . . ostriches with their heads in the sand.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia...ngs-teacher-before-she-shot-by-6-year-old-boy

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Small update: the teacher who was shot is suing the school district, and the child shooter was a known, psychological problem.

Family statement regarding the firearm:
    Our family has always been committed to responsible gun ownership and keeping firearms out of the reach of children. The firearm our son accessed was secured,” said the statement, released by James Ellenson, the family’s attorney.

Family statement regarding the child:
    The statement also said the boy “suffers from an acute disability and was under a care plan at the school that included his mother or father attending school with him and accompanying him to class every day.”

“Additionally, our son has benefitted from an extensive community of care that also includes his grandparents working alongside us and other caregivers to ensure his needs and accommodations are met. The week of the shooting was the first week when we were not in class with him. We will regret our absence on this day for the rest of our lives.”

Since the shooting, the statement added, the boy has been in a hospital receiving the “treatment he needs.”

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Small update: the teacher who was shot is suing the school district, and the child shooter was a known, psychological problem.

Must not be that secure.

The lawsuit brought a lot of new information, sounds like this situation was a dumpster fire and the administration completely failed. Their solution was "well just wait for the end of the day and he'll get home". Aaaahhhh! :bash:

Haven't seen more than the tip of the iceberg on the home life...

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Worked in a local High School after retiring. Indiana has laws protecting the students. If they have an IEP, statement of some form of disability, it has to be accommodated. We had some really bizarre incidents that occurred and the admin was unable to do anything about them. Students transferred into the school for violent behavior were protected, they could not tell teachers of previous behavior. Had one student, because of his IEP for behavior, could not be suspended or removed from school for more than 24hrs. He was a constant problem. Had him walk in to class and shout at the top of his lungs "White Power!!". The principle had to come to the room to remove him because he refused my admonition to go to the office. He was walking around the school undisciplined an hour later. Don't believe he was violent, just as first class idiot.

Twice had students get physical with me. Now, I am old, late 60's, but 6' and near 300 lbs. Roughly 2 1/2 - 3 X's their size so it didn't mean much to me. They were counciled in the office. One was sent to another building, the other got....nothing.

Don

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Worked in a local High School after retiring. Indiana has laws protecting the students. If they have an IEP, statement of some form of disability, it has to be accommodated. We had some really bizarre incidents that occurred and the admin was unable to do anything about them. Students transferred into the school for violent behavior were protected, they could not tell teachers of previous behavior. Had one student, because of his IEP for behavior, could not be suspended or removed from school for more than 24hrs. He was a constant problem. Had him walk in to class and shout at the top of his lungs "White Power!!". The principle had to come to the room to remove him because he refused my admonition to go to the office. He was walking around the school undisciplined an hour later. Don't believe he was violent, just as first class idiot.

Twice had students get physical with me. Now, I am old, late 60's, but 6' and near 300 lbs. Roughly 2 1/2 - 3 X's their size so it didn't mean much to me. They were counciled in the office. One was sent to another building, the other got....nothing.

Don
    I am continually reminded of how fortunate we are to be able to homeschool our girls.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

She's going to have to get past the exclusive remedy provision of the Worker's Comp statute. There are exceptions, but so far I don't see one that would apply.

However, Virginia has a provision that allows an employer to pay benefits above and beyond Workers Comp by agreement. Publicity to apply pressure?

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    She's going to have to get past the exclusive remedy provision of the Worker's Comp statute. There are exceptions, but so far I don't see one that would apply.

However, Virginia has a provision that allows an employer to pay benefits above and beyond Workers Comp by agreement. Publicity to apply pressure?
    Probably true as to the workers comp; however, the suit against the parents may be possible with some if not all reimbursement to the workers comp carrier. Not sure about Virginia law but have seen other jurisdictions with this scheme.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Probably true as to the workers comp; however, the suit against the parents may be possible with some if not all reimbursement to the workers comp carrier. Not sure about Virginia law but have seen other jurisdictions with this scheme.
    Suit against the parents is no problem from a legal perspective.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Don
    Ok, school me: what does the acronym "IEP" stand for in Indiana? I've heard of "behavior contracts" in other locales, but this was new to me. If it's "Individual Education Plan," that's a knee-slapper.

We've gone overboard accommodating students with mental problems. It is no wonder the transgenders are trampling institutions like Grant going through Richmond. We set the model with the wacko kids.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Let's be clear- the confederates burned Richmond. The Union, under Grant, kept it from being completely destroyed when the civilians in the city surrendered before the Union troops entered.

Now, back to treating children as disposable.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Ok, school me: what does the acronym "IEP" stand for in Indiana? I've heard of "behavior contracts" in other locales, but this was new to me. If it's "Individual Education Plan," that's a knee-slapper.

We've gone overboard accommodating students with mental problems. It is no wonder the transgenders are trampling institutions like Grant going through Richmond. We set the model with the wacko kids.
    It is indeed Individual Education Plan. The term has become politically correct to mean we have to accommodate their behavior and they cannot be disciplined .

Don

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It is indeed Individual Education Plan. The term has become politically correct to mean we have to accommodate their behavior and they cannot be disciplined .

Don
    Wow. Hard to believe we've allowed the precious, untouchable little dears (and their wacked-out parents) to wag the dog in this manner.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Being shot by a six year old doesn't seem like a foreseeable job hazard for a teacher (...or didn't...before now). IANAL, but are you sure the school can hide behind workers' comp, if the teacher is asserting negligence based on staff response to prior threats?

Top Bottom