• ...and so much more!
  • THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    no shooting is accidental...
    it's a result of poor parenting. the parents/home owner needs to be fined, and have no right to own a firearm..

--yet a sad situation like you said.

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    This is sad, but when I was 8 years old, I was left alone and I knew where the guns were. I just knew not to play with them. Still, this day and age are different. It is a sad story indeed.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I must say that although we can clearly blame the parents I still feel the utmost sadness for this the other kid that will have to live with this for the rest of his life...

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I must say that although we can clearly blame the parents I still feel the utmost sadness for this the other kid that will have to live with this for the rest of his life...

I agree, This is truly a tragedy for all who are involved.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    it's a result of poor parenting. the parents/home owner needs to be fined, and have no right to own a firearm..

--yet a sad situation like you said.

I agree.
    This kid was more than old enough to be taugh about gun safety by his parents AND the gun should have been locked away.

Not an accident here but still a sad story.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Did we have gun locks 30 years ago? What has changed now that makes them so sure fired? I don't think they are bad ideas but I just wonder about the logic of this when I was that old there were NO locks on any of out guns? Generational thing?

Still, the parents in this case APPEAR to have not taught any gun safety, but that is besides the point.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Did we have gun locks 30 years ago? What has changed now that makes them so sure fired? I don't think they are bad ideas but I just wonder about the logic of this when I was that old there were NO locks on any of out guns? Generational thing?

Still, the parents in this case APPEAR to have not taught any gun safety, but that is besides the point.

No, I think that is EXACTLY the point.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    yes, and

No, I think that is EXACTLY the point.

Do your children always behave in the fashion that your training would lead you to believe they should?

They are children and the adults in their lives need to train AND protect them. From themselves, especially.

Small story from personal experience. I was in Germany and got a call to come home on emergency leave. My 13 yr old brother had an accident with one of my handguns that I had left at home. Farm kids, we all were, and well versed in guns and gun safety. Timothy was home alone and some dogs had gotten into Mom's sheep and he'd grabbed the first thing at hand out of the gun locker to take care of the problem. Fired a couple of shots and ran the dogs off. Went inside and was talking to his girlfriend and it looked like he'd absentmindedly reached up to scratch his head and the gun went off. His G/F said he'd just stopped talking after she heard a loud noise. I wish he'd taken the time to unload when he hit the door like we always did and still do. Our kids need us to be the responsible ones.
    The point is that as parents and adults in kids lives, we are responsible for their safety. Teens think they're immortal. That's not a good combination with weapons. How many of us here on this board can say, "It's only by the grace of God that I lived through my teenage years!" because of all the crazy stupid sh- stuff we did?
    To this day, and probably until my last breath, I will wish that I'd stored my guns differently when I PCS'ed. I KNOW my father regretted not having had them locked up until he passed a couple of years ago. Love your children but don't trust them too much.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Do your children always behave in the fashion that your training would lead you to believe they should?

They are children and the adults in their lives need to train AND protect them. From themselves, especially.

Small story from personal experience. I was in Germany and got a call to come home on emergency leave. My 13 yr old brother had an accident with one of my handguns that I had left at home. Farm kids, we all were, and well versed in guns and gun safety. Timothy was home alone and some dogs had gotten into Mom's sheep and he'd grabbed the first thing at hand out of the gun locker to take care of the problem. Fired a couple of shots and ran the dogs off. Went inside and was talking to his girlfriend and it looked like he'd absentmindedly reached up to scratch his head and the gun went off. His G/F said he'd just stopped talking after she heard a loud noise. I wish he'd taken the time to unload when he hit the door like we always did and still do. Our kids need us to be the responsible ones.
    The point is that as parents and adults in kids lives, we are responsible for their safety. Teens think they're immortal. That's not a good combination with weapons. How many of us here on this board can say, "It's only by the grace of God that I lived through my teenage years!" because of all the crazy stupid sh- stuff we did?
    To this day, and probably until my last breath, I will wish that I'd stored my guns differently when I PCS'ed. I KNOW my father regretted not having had them locked up until he passed a couple of years ago. Love your children but don't trust them too much.

I am so sorry to hear this my friend. It is never easy and believe me that I am not blaming the kid or what lead to this. In the end it is up to the parents to keep the guns away from them. It is extremely sad, none the less and I grieve for them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Maybe I misread the article that the OP posted. But in that article it did not mention that the firearm was owned by the kid's parents. :dunno: Do we know if it was? Or did the kid bring it from somewhere else?

Some of you seem to be jumping on the wagon of blaming the parents for not locking up a gun which may not have even been in the house to begin with!

^THIS!

Top Bottom