• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitetail2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2009
    Having just bought my self a brand new Puma, big hoop, lever action, 16" barrel, rifle, I have several reloading questions.
    1] Can I use load data for the Ruger and T/C, or sould I stick with handgun loads?
    2] What kind of bullets can I use? Gun does have a tubular magazine.
    3] What is the recommended hunting load for lets say, whitetails, wild boar, ect...
    I'm really wanting to stay away from lead bullets. I'd prefer to use jacketed bullets if possible.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Cast lead gas checked bullets will give fine hunting performance for a lot less cash, lets you get in more practice.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    255gr LSWC (Keith style) or 250gr XTP for whitetail. You can go heavier (300gr) but not necessary IMO for whitetail.

I've read that "Ruger Only" is fine for the '92 (Puma and Winchester); after all they chamber it in .44 Mag. Again not really necessary for whitetail as a standard pressure .45 Colt will go lengthwise through a deer, but I would do it because it shoots flatter.

Lead will save you a ton of money. Don't be afraid. Drink the Kool-Aid. Gas check probably not needed in many loads.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    Some shooters shy away from lead due to the "horror" storys concerning barrel leading. Just as in powder selection in load development, lead alloy blend versus fps.comes into play. Linotype or 1 to-20 thats the question. The good news is that there are boutque bullet makers ( Rim Rock Bullets) who will work with you even down to the type of lube you want. Myself, I cast with cert.1-20 lead, gas checked for hunting loads, then occasionally send a fmj or jacketed sp down range to clean the barrel.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Use a 250 or 300 gr. lead bullet at 1,000 fps or so and deer go down hard and fast!!! I've found the 45 LC one of the easiest calibers to get good handload results with. It's very forgiving. :rockwoot:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Having just bought my self a brand new Puma, big hoop, lever action, 16" barrel, rifle, I have several reloading questions.
    1] Can I use load data for the Ruger and T/C, or sould I stick with handgun loads? Ruger level loads are fine. The '92 action is one of the stroger levergun actions.
    2] What kind of bullets can I use? Gun does have a tubular magazine. Anything with a flat point wheter it be a SWC, RNFP or JHP.
    3] What is the recommended hunting load for lets say, whitetails, wild boar, ect... I load a near max load of Lil Gun under a 250gr XTP for deer out of a handgun. My Sister in law used that load in my old 20" '92 to drop a doe like a rock at about 75 yards. For feral hogs, I'd reccomend a good cast bullet or a JSP. The LBT style bullets are wonderful for penetration.
    I'm really wanting to stay away from lead bullets. I'd prefer to use jacketed bullets if possible.

There is no reason to stay away from lead bullets. Depending on what kind of loads you are using, wheter full power for practice or lighter loads for plinking, you can easily find a bullet to match up with your load. As has been mentioned, you want to use a bullet that is harder for hot loads and softer for lighter loads. A fun plinking load out of a rifle or handgun is 9.0 gr of Unique under a cast 250gr bullet. That's about a factory level load, which is pretty light. Check out Desperado Cowboy Bullets, LLC for softer bullets for lighter loads. Also, play with that new rifle as much as possible. Most Rossi's are tight and a bit rough from the factory and will smooth out with a good bit of cycling wheter live or dry firing.

Doug K

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    For plinking I use the 200gr. lead round nose bullets, loaded light. I would say around 800 to 900 fps. Great for target and like shooting a 22lr. I hunt with the Hornady 250gr. XTP bullets. I have them running a bit hot, but they work great for deer out to 100 yards or so. I don't trust my eyesight out that far with iron sights, so I don't usually shoot that far. I took a deer last year at 72yds. dropped in his tracks. The case for the 45lc is the weak link. I usually only reload my hunting rounds once or twice and then discard. I got some useful data from this site. Real Guns

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Modern .45 Colt brass is no weaker than .44 magnum stuff. Dick Casull actually used lengthened factory .45 colt brass (thinning it to make it longer) when he was developing the .454 Casull. the weak brass is a myth, left over from the days of baloon headed brass, which was done well before the second world war.

Doug K

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The following is a direct quote from the Sierra Reloading Manual.
    "Although it has internal capacity comparable to that of the .44 Magnum, the thickness and strength of the .45 Colt cartridge case is much less than that of the .44 Magnum, imposing a limiting factor upon the older cartridge which cannot be avoided."
    And this is a quote from the Speer Reloading Manual.
    "Some handloaders have assembled .45 Colt loads that exceed the pressures of the .44 Magnum! The .45 Colt case is not as strong as the .44 Magnum case and you must not attempt to load it as high, regardless of the gun model."
    The following quote is again from the section of the Speer Reloading Manual devoted to high pressure .45 Colt loads for the Blackhawk and Contender.
    "We recommend that these loads be used in new or once-fired cases known to be of recent manufacture."

Take it for what its worth, I found some info on case differences for the 45 colt. I don't have either manual to check the facts, but I'll error on the cautious side.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Nothing wrong with erring on the cautios side. Too many folk, especially new reloaders do just the oppisite; I know I pushed th elimits soon after gettig a little confidence at the loading bench. But, I"ll trust Linebaugh and Bowen over a quote from Chuckhawk's any day. These guys build super solid revolvers that make it possible to push the .45 Colt to it's potential and they don't worry about the cases. If you use good quality cases, prefferably Starline or Federal for heavy loads, you'll be fine. I've got some Starline brass that I've got segregated for my hunting loads and they've been fired at least a dozen times with no bad effects.

Doug K

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have read that the Starline and Federal brass are better for heavier loads. I do load my hunting rounds heavy with H110 powder. I don't run the cases for that many rounds, because I use them in a Puma lever action and part of the case is not supported. The result is a slight bulge in the case on one side. I don't trust the cases to last a dozen loadings. In a revolver it would be different as the case is fully supported.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    A micrometer or caliper will show...

That 45LC brass is not as thick as 44 magnum, it is plain to the naked eye as well as measurable with an instrument. The poster three above quotes the Speer manual and that is an excellent resource. Loading 45 LC brass to near 44 magnum pressure will cause the brass to tear at the top much sooner than 44 magnum brass will at the same pressure. These high pressures are not dangerous for the 45LC when fired in a Ruger Blackhawk, but the brass will not last as long, which is no big loss.

I have handloaded 44 magnum since 1983 and 45 LC since 1976. These have been my findings based on that experience.

Terry

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    That 45LC brass is not as thick as 44 magnum, it is plain to the naked eye as well as measurable with an instrument. The poster three above quotes the Speer manual and that is an excellent resource. Loading 45 LC brass to near 44 magnum pressure will cause the brass to tear at the top much sooner than 44 magnum brass will at the same pressure. These high pressures are not dangerous for the 45LC when fired in a Ruger Blackhawk, but the brass will not last as long, which is no big loss.

I have handloaded 44 magnum since 1983 and 45 LC since 1976. These have been my findings based on that experience.

Terry

+1
    Thats why I don't try to load mine more than a couple. I have had a couple cases split in a Ruger Blackhawk, but it doesn't effect it. I'm not sure how it would act in the Puma being not fully supported at the base.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom