• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I would avoid steel cased ammo, except in the Com-Block AK-47's, SKS's, and Mosins. These weapons were designed around steel cased ammunition. The biggest problem with shooting steel cased ammunition is you do not know the hardness of the cases. Some of this stuff isn't as mild in hardness as it should be for proper case expansion, and extraction.

Steel cases are much harder on extractors, (especially in semi auto firearms), and they can cause scratching of the chamber unless they are hard chrome lined. Also, these cases are worthless for reloading.

The whole thing is they are not that much, if any cheaper. Simply put, with most commercial steel cased ammunition there is no reward in shooting it. Especially from a cost standpoint. Federal Champion from Wal-Mart is priced at or below most all of the steel cased Russian crap. Not to mention most all of this stuff burns filthier than wet charcoal with high fat hamburger on a cheap, Jap Hibachi.

I have never understood the logic of a guy going out and buying a $1,800.00 top tier AR-15. Then turning around and equipping it with another $2,500.00 of high end optics and accessories, then trying to save $1.50 a box on ammo by running low grade Russian Tula crap through it?? That's like paying upward of $100,000.00+ for a ZR-1 Corvette, then buying cut rate regular gas to save $6.00 on a tankfull. Poor economics. Bill T.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Does it seem like Walmart is really pushing this stuff to anyone else?

The guy at Walmart even tried telling me the Local PD switched to carrying this stuff. :rolleyes:

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I asked this question once and the was an overwhelming flood of people telling me that the chamber it way harder than the ammo casing, and to not worry about it. 1000s of rounds later and no worries:)

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    He could have thought a little more of you and gave you brass cased ammo??HA HA:laugh::rolleyes:
    Well I did thank him for the 2 boxes of Win.230gr.JHP and the 20rd. box of Hornady 185gr. Critical Defense ammo.I didn't want to tell him to keep the steel case stuff,would you? He stopped by last night and gave me a set of Rosewood double diamond grips for my Kimber just because he thought they would look better on it than they did on his Colt.I think I'm going to adopt the old guy for my dad,what do you think?:D

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I shoot thousands of rounds of steel cased Russian ammo through my guns per year with no issue.

There are those that shoot and those that turn their nose up at cheap ammo.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Well, I've shot a good bunch of this stuff (the Wolf version - same as the TULA). It's dirty, but it goes bang every time. That said, a few months back I inspected some spent casings after reading about someone having a KABOOM with Wolf .45ACP. In the last box I shot, I found some casings that had 2/3 length splits in them. Contacted Wolf, they said send it back, we'll replace it. I said, thanks but I'd rather not shoot more steel case in this gun (P220). They ended up replacing it with Wolf Gold, which is brass case. So, I've stopped using steel .45ACP, but I've still got a 10-15 boxes of 9mm that I continue to shoot (including some TULA). I haven't had any concern other than the dirtiness. Once my stash of 9mm is gone, however, the only steel I'll be using is in my 5.45x39 M&P15R rifle - it's made for it.

1zgf67d.jpg

leedawg77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I've shot it in both .380 and 9mm caliber. It's worked fine for me at the range. My 9mm has jammed a couple times with it, but it is barely broken in. It's Russian and very similar to Brown Bear in quality and appearance.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    i use domestic ammo in my guns, i dont trust any of the tula, wolf, or bear stuff. the only foreign ammo i have used is the korean pmc in my ar, very impressed with the quality of pmc 223, thats about as far as im going to venture out of the domestic offerings.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have fired many many rounds of the Tula ammo in several different calibers, most of it in .40 s&w and I have not had any issues. It is dirtier and smells, but it has functioned flawlessly for me.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Figured I would add to this thread rather than start a new one... Tried a box of .45 acp this weekend in my m&p 45. No FTF's, but ran into one FTE...
    Took me a bit of pulling to get the slide open and clear this one. I won't bother trying anymore.
    P09-04-12_1700.jpg

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I shoot thousands of rounds of steel cased Russian ammo through my guns per year with no issue.

There are those that shoot and those that turn their nose up at cheap ammo.

+1

If I didn't handload, I would shoot the snot out of some cheap ammo.

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    1000s of rounds through a glock. Narry a problem. I will concede that it is dirtier than some but surrenders to Hoppes every time. Have not found anything this reliable for retail cheaper (Including Wal Mart).

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Figured I would add to this thread rather than start a new one... Tried a box of .45 acp this weekend in my m&p 45. No FTF's, but ran into one FTE...
    Took me a bit of pulling to get the slide open and clear this one. I won't bother trying anymore.
    P09-04-12_1700.jpg
    I have shot Remington brass cased ammo that did this. Would I never shoot brass cased ammo again? I am not that foolish. ***** happens.

Top Bottom