• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1911's more so than most other "quality" handguns. If I pick up a glock for $500, I have 0 doubt there will be any issues. If I pick up say a loaded Springfield 1911, I'd expect it to have a higher chance of malfunctioning than the glock, and even though I consider it a high quality gun, I would go into buying it assuming there is a chance I'm going to have to take it to a gunsmith to have some things tweaked to get it running 110%. I'm not talking about cheap junk guns. I'm talking about quality firearms. The 1911 is just a more finicky gun. It requires more tuning and care than the new quality polymer handguns that are out there right now.

Sure, I can buy a $1000-$1500 1911 that's tuned correctly and built so it'll be as reliable as one of the new polymer wonders, but why would I do that when I can pick up a stock $500 glock. I'm not into spending an extra $1000 to get the same reliability out of a service/carry gun that's going to get used and abused.

Now, for a range toy or something that I have fun shooting...sure, I love a 1911.

Good points but again.....some mystic myths involved. I have stood next to 2 people at the range and they were running Glocks. Both had a series of issues with them. It was rectified eventually but both failed....more than once. My Springer Loaded ran all day. Bravo Sierra on the 0 doubt of failure. They are all machines. Machines will fail. It is a given.

Like halfmile stated, my cheapo 1911's all gave me trouble but it was me trying to feed them ammo they were never intended to run. Serious hollow point SD ammo will (speer gold dot) not do well in an entry level 1911. These were never intended to run anything but 230 gr. ball. Part of the myth starts right there.

Most any mid-range modern 1911 from most any manf. will run and run and run. Issues with these are usually cheap mag. related. I have seen it and cured it for others.
    $500 to get in the game is a great deal. Parts are available for up-grades and you can own a nice reliable glock on the cheap compared to a 1911.

Like I have always said, buy what your budget allows and enjoy it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I went to the darkside churchmouse. No more 1911's in my safe. Just cz's. But I did have a loaded springer. Had ftf issues with good mags. I'm sure it could have been tuned, but for $800, a gun should run right out of the box.

only real issues I've seen with glocks or the like are limp wresting issues. Of course some of the early polymer stuff had teething problems with frame/polymer design, but I believe most of that is fixed these days, and adequately proven in the field.

mostly, I can't bring myself to throw a $1000+ 1911 in the dirt, pack it with mud and grime and kick the snot out of it in courses. It makes me cringe. I have no issues doing that with a glock or other $500 utilitarian pistol.

for me, a 1911 is a great gun, but I'm just not going to be using it as an edc. Edc guns are tools, and the 1911 does not fit that bill for me. Cudos to those that have deep enough pockets to edc one.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Good points but again.....some mystic myths involved. I have stood next to 2 people at the range and they were running Glocks. Both had a series of issues with them. It was rectified eventually but both failed....more than once. My Springer Loaded ran all day. Bravo Sierra on the 0 doubt of failure. They are all machines. Machines will fail. It is a given.

Like halfmile stated, my cheapo 1911's all gave me trouble but it was me trying to feed them ammo they were never intended to run. Serious hollow point SD ammo will (speer gold dot) not do well in an entry level 1911. These were never intended to run anything but 230 gr. ball. Part of the myth starts right there.

Most any mid-range modern 1911 from most any manf. will run and run and run. Issues with these are usually cheap mag. related. I have seen it and cured it for others.
    $500 to get in the game is a great deal. Parts are available for up-grades and you can own a nice reliable glock on the cheap compared to a 1911.

Like I have always said, buy what your budget allows and enjoy it.

Plus they are drop in parts. :popcorn:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I had the chance to finger a fnx45 tactical. It felt cheap like a toy and the grip was very large and uncomfortable in my hand. Just my impressions. Try a gun before you buy if at all possible.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    main.php

Nuff Said. :)

Once someone makes an extended safety for the SR series I will be more comfortable using one as a defense weapon. I have issues disengaging the safety. I guess I have been spoiled by my S&W 1911 and I'm use to how easy it is to flick the safety off.

jackson1467

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Take a look at the FN FNX-45. It's definitely a full size with a double stacked 15 round magazine. I really like mine its a great shooter with less recoil than a commander sized 1911.

cubstuff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Indiana
    My first purchase was a full size Springfield XDM .45 with the 5.25" barrel. My 2nd purchase was a Springfield compact XDS .45. The full size hardly comes out of the safe to be shot, while the compact XDS comes out quite often. Wish I would have purchased another smaller .45 instead of the full size XDM.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Once someone makes an extended safety for the SR series I will be more comfortable using one as a defense weapon. I have issues disengaging the safety. I guess I have been spoiled by my S&W 1911 and I'm use to how easy it is to flick the safety off.
    Well, I haven't any trouble engaging or disengaging the safety. I find it easy to do with my thumb. I actually don't want some big honking safety lever sticking out there, too easy to catch on things. That is of course my opinion. Ruger also has the P345 which I also have and have carried for years now as well as their own 1911 that seems well liked. I don't have the 1911 though.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Kimber Super Carry Custom HD!

Just got one and LOVE IT!

No Schwarz safety, no FLGR, no sharp edges, rounded heel, stainless steel slide and frame, tight fit, night sights with ledge rear sight.

Just perfect!

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Suddenly got the itch for a wheel gun....thinking along the lines of an SW 629 Classic .44 mag 5.5" barrel. I will let you know what I decide, but thanks again for all of your input!

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I own 28 different 1911's and I feel for a first starter and for the price ($433) I would say a Rock Island. I feel they are one of the best kept secrets. I own 7 of them and I have only had one of them that I had problems with, and sending it back to Armscor In Nev. with a 5 week return and the issues were taken care of. I guess it comes down to what are you going to be using it for? And how much are you willing to spend? I have several 1911's in the $3000.00 range, but they all do the same thing, spit lead. I have no problem carrying my officers model .45 RI that I have fired 2250 rounds without any issues. The skies the limits...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I went to the darkside churchmouse. No more 1911's in my safe. Just cz's. But I did have a loaded springer. Had ftf issues with good mags. I'm sure it could have been tuned, but for $800, a gun should run right out of the box.

only real issues I've seen with glocks or the like are limp wresting issues. Of course some of the early polymer stuff had teething problems with frame/polymer design, but I believe most of that is fixed these days, and adequately proven in the field

mostly, I can't bring myself to throw a $1000+ 1911 in the dirt, pack it with mud and grime and kick the snot out of it in courses. It makes me cringe. I have no issues doing that with a glock or other $500 utilitarian pistol.

for me, a 1911 is a great gun, but I'm just not going to be using it as an edc. Edc guns are tools, and the 1911 does not fit that bill for me. Cudos to those that have deep enough pockets to edc one.

Kudos on the "CZ" thing.

1st pistol I ever shot was a 1911. Been hooked since I was 12. Never threw on in the mud though. Hey, what ever makes you smile.....:)

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    For a 1911, save up and go Wilson, Les Baer or Guncrafter Industries. Or, if you don't want to spend that kind of money on a new one, look for a used one. They simply rock, will last you a lifetime and all have excellent customer service (even on a used one) if it is ever needed. Shoot one and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Whatever, you choose, best wishes and safe shooting!

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I am just too tired today......:):
    :laugh: Thought I would give you a chance. I've had zero experience with RIAs so I can't speak in favor or against them. I've owned two 1911s and they've both been Springfields.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For a 1911, save up and go Wilson, Les Baer or Guncrafter Industries. Or, if you don't want to spend that kind of money on a new one, look for a used one. They simply rock, will last you a lifetime and all have excellent customer service (even on a used one) if it is ever needed. Shoot one and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    Whatever, you choose, best wishes and safe shooting!

Now there are other good choices. I would not hesitate to buy a Nighthawk or Ed Brown either.

Top Bottom