45 acp loading question regarding dies...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Do I need different seating dies if I intend on loading ball, hollow points, and SWC ammo?

I've been researching and stuff and have found mixed info on it.

I need to know as my wife has depleted my stash of factory ammo, and I want to get loading before it gets super nice outside :)

I've ordered my books, just trying to get the hardware on hand as well and dies are the only thing I'm needing now.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    In my case, I'm using rcbs carbide dies...it comes a part for pressing round nose bullets and another for blunt nose bullets. I like my dies so far...

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I have lee carbide deluxe pistod die set I use for 45s... Loaded all kinds of bullets without problems.. One die works fine for all in my case.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    What setup are you going to get? Have you made your mind up? How much ammo will you need?

p.s. You have a good wife is she helps like that! ;)

Lots easier to justify when you tell her: "Babe, you wanna keep shooting, right?" hahaha

I am just curious in asking the questions above. No agenda. Just wondering. Glad you are getting started.

I have been loading for a while now and have yet to wear out the Lee Carbide die set I have. It is the only caliber that I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die with too. None of my guns need big bullets so, using one is not a bad thing.

You will not need any other seating stem unless you go to a full wadcutter or something. A quick call to Lee though will get you what you need if you do though. I cast my own bullets and have loaded everything but that profile with mine though, RN, RNHP, RNFP, SWC and so on. They still work just fine.

Have fun, be safe!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    A clarification:
    Only the sizing die is carbide; not the seating die.

If any change is needed for seating different bullets, only the screw-in seating plug is changed; not the entire die.

Finally, strongly recommend not seating and crimping in the same operation. Get a separate taper crimp die for the final pass, and adjust it to a finished case mouth O.D. of 0.471" using (very carefully!) the knife-edge portion of a dial (or electonic) caliper. Remember, the crimp is tapered; so,it is critical to measure the very end of the case mouth.

It is a bit tedious getting the taper crimp die adjusted, using trial, careful measurement, and correction, but, once set, tighten the locking ring, and you will not have to adjust it again.

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Finally, strongly recommend not seating and crimping in the same operation. Get a separate taper crimp die for the final pass, and adjust it to a finished case mouth O.D. of 0.461" using (very carefully!) the knife-edge portion of a dial (or electonic) caliper. Remember, the crimp is tapered; so,it is critical to measure the very end of the case mouth.
    Pretty sure you meant .471". That measurement is so small, the case will not seat on the case mouth at all in most chambers.

The standard for the case is .473" in the SAAMI design standards. Pretty sure it is just a "slip of the typer".

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Pretty sure you meant .471". That measurement is so small, the case will not seat on the case mouth at all in most chambers.

The standard for the case is .473" in the SAAMI design standards. Pretty sure it is just a "slip of the typer".

Thanks, Skip! Typo. 0.417" is correct. First cup of coffee hadn't reached the CNS, yet. :D
    Correction made on the earlier post.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Yeah. I've been shooting between 250 and 400 rounds of 45 a month.

Looking to shoot as much as I can when its warm.

I'm going to be running on a tmag press with lyman 55 dispenser. Not worried about dumping the powder charge with the flaring operation...I have 6 stations to tinker with.

I don't mind working it like a single stage for a bit, I just didn't want to have to change out the dies with each function. And I really dig the manual index....1 less part to break. :)

I should also add that I want to get the best precision out of my loads I can. The accuracy is my part, so the projectile isn't a huge issue. I just want 200gr or more and whether JHP, SWC, RN,FRN,etc doesn't matter to me.

Been thinking about SWC to get them perdy circles in the paper though.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I taper my 45 acp case mouth to .460 without problems...I get too much bullet setback otherwise.

Top Bottom