• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I am acquiring a Redhawk this week, wanted to get some decent factory rounds bought up to practice with this next couple of weeks. It has the 7.5" barrel. I plan on taking this out as my secondary gun in case something gets in close. I have hunted with a King cobra in the past and just wanted something a little more stout. I also plan to take this gun out to 100 yards for target practice and some fun long range shooting, but not for deer. Let me know what works for you guys, I wont have time to reload for this since I have know components but will save the brass and work up some loads for next season. Thanks

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    We have multiple friends that are using the 44mag in a Handi-rifle, Ruger 77/44, and one in an 1894. Most all these guy are using the Winchester white box (USA) from Wal-Mart in the 240gr. JSP. One summer I tested a lot of 44 loads thru a rifle and never was able to get the 180 and 200 grain bullets to group well at all. It seemed to require 240's to do well and the 300 grain did well too but the recoil was much more and the bullet drop was a lot more than the 240's.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. I was discussing the purchase of my new redhawk today with a coworker and he told me NOT to shoot hollowpoints through it for deer. He went on and on about not getting a pass through and no bloodtrail??? Is this BS, I don't have a reason to doubt him as he hunts with a 44 rifle, but would like a larger sample on this opinion. I appreciate the replies as this is my first experience with this caliber out of a handgun.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. I was discussing the purchase of my new redhawk today with a coworker and he told me NOT to shoot hollowpoints through it for deer. He went on and on about not getting a pass through and no bloodtrail??? Is this BS, I don't have a reason to doubt him as he hunts with a 44 rifle, but would like a larger sample on this opinion. I appreciate the replies as this is my first experience with this caliber out of a handgun.

IDK. Last year I shot 2 deer with Magtech .44 magnum rounds. (Marlin 1894) Neither round went through. Both deer dropped within 10 feet. Who needs a blood trail for that? I'd get a few makes and try each of them. You never know which one your gun might like best.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    IDK. Last year I shot 2 deer with Magtech .44 magnum rounds. (Marlin 1894) Neither round went through. Both deer dropped within 10 feet. Who needs a blood trail for that? I'd get a few makes and try each of them. You never know which one your gun might like best.

That's kinda what I was thinking, sometimes guys like to blame equipment instead of thinking about shot placement and other factors. I think ill grab a few different boxes and see what it likes. I hope to get 50 of what it likes down the tube before I take it out. Im not sure what the recoil will be, hopefully not to abusive...

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    We have multiple friends that are using the 44mag in a Handi-rifle, Ruger 77/44, and one in an 1894. Most all these guy are using the Winchester white box (USA) from Wal-Mart in the 240gr. JSP. One summer I tested a lot of 44 loads thru a rifle and never was able to get the 180 and 200 grain bullets to group well at all. It seemed to require 240's to do well and the 300 grain did well too but the recoil was much more and the bullet drop was a lot more than the 240's.
    Hey, your inbox is full, man. Trying to reply to your message about the 870

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I like the Hornady Leverevolution. They work great in a long gun. Not sure how they would work in your Redhawk, but my Super Blackhawk thinks they are fine.

Hollow points or soft nose, I wouldn't worry about not passing through a deer if you get a good shot placement, and keep it inside of 50 yards.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    A pass through is definitely preferable to not. I would use a semi jacketed soft point at least 240 grain.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    There are hollow-points and then there are XTP's. Stick to 240gr bullets for their increased SD and you will not need to worry about penetration. Even on those rare occasions when 44 caliber bullets don't exit, they will have left a massive wound channel, but the majority of the time you won't have trouble finding a blood trail.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I like the Hornady Leverevolution. They work great in a long gun. Not sure how they would work in your Redhawk, but my Super Blackhawk thinks they are fine.

Hollow points or soft nose, I wouldn't worry about not passing through a deer if you get a good shot placement, and keep it inside of 50 yards.

So people say. My Marlin hates the stuff. I bought it first and nearly sold my rifle after shooting a couple boxes. I put it away for a year and decided to give it one more chance. I went down to hillside and they didn't have any lever revolution in stock which turned out to be a blessing because I bought the mag tech instead. I went from "all over the place" to MOA at 100yds. Somewhere on INGO is a picture I took with a Mickey Mouse group at 100yds. Was it the ammo or was I just off the last time? Idk but the difference was profound.

Glad it works for you. Just goes to show how different barrel harmonics can be!

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I have bought over 600 rounds of PMC 180 grains HOLLOW-POINTS, but it's for self-defense, but if it can put a man down, it can put a deer down

im not saying they cant but deer tend to have alot of fight in them. if some one shot me in the liver with a 44 im probably not going to up and run a mile. i like the 225-300gr bullet slot for deer.

i shoot the lever evolution to great success i havent had a chance but ive been wanting to try some buffalo bore ammo too most people seem to like it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The CCI mini mag of the 44 mag is the Winchester 240 JSP. Might not be the absolute best in any firearm but is better than average in all. If you can't hand load up so semi wad cutters for the pistol I would get a box of WWB. They will be. Great test of the firearm accuracy in general.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So people say. My Marlin hates the stuff. I bought it first and nearly sold my rifle after shooting a couple boxes. I put it away for a year and decided to give it one more chance. I went down to hillside and they didn't have any lever revolution in stock which turned out to be a blessing because I bought the mag tech instead. I went from "all over the place" to MOA at 100yds. Somewhere on INGO is a picture I took with a Mickey Mouse group at 100yds. Was it the ammo or was I just off the last time? Idk but the difference was profound.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, bu my Marlin is a JM marked rifle. It is one of the last JM marked produced.
    Another contributing factor for me is my limited hunting property. The property I have permission to hunt is on a hill-side. It is less than 100 yards wide, and heavy brush restrict my shots to 50 yards or less.
    My average kill distance is about 25-30 yards.
    Last year I took 2 doe at about 25 FEET!

My Marlin has not been sighted in for farther than 50 yards. There's a LOT less chance for my shots to get too far off track.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I have bought over 600 rounds of PMC 180 grains HOLLOW-POINTS, but it's for self-defense, but if it can put a man down, it can put a deer down

I use these or the 240 grain. Every one I have got just fold up except one. It ran to the bottom of the hill about 30 yards. If you hit them in the boiler room they go down no problem. That is with a Taurus 8 3/8 barrel. Going to use them in a Rossi lever action this year.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    If you want to eat the deer I would not use Remington 180s. I'm sure they will kill but they are not very tough.

DDFB63B2-C897-4683-AC32-677C2A91CFEA-8910-000003EEAE661B7B_zps20bb1f71.jpg

I do not have on game experience. This is just my opinion.

Last edited:

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown

Some experience here.....My Marlin hates it also. It was throwing them all over the place. I think it just depends on the gun. This whole thing goes back to try a bunch of different stuff and see what she likes. My 1894P loves the Federal 50 round JHP boxes with the eagle on them. I have tried about 7-8 different brands and loads and this is what she loves....I can clover leaf them all day at 50 yards.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I have to agree that stopping power with a 44 Mag . in most Indiana deer hunting areas is not a problem. I can say the longest shot I have ever wanted to take in Indiana was 100-120 yards. All of the areas that I hunt are just to dense to go any further. The longest shot I have taken was 90 yards and he went 20 yards and dropped.

Top Bottom