• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    HST 155, 165 and 180 gr. My 23 and 22 likes them all. Harmon said it all. Unbeatable price for 50rd box, amazing performance but they can be hard to find at times.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Sounds good fellas.

I ordered several boxes of Federal HST 165 grain and Speer Gold Dots 155 grain last night on-line. Sooo much cheaper online!

Here's a general question:

How many rounds of a potential SD round do you put through your gun before you are satisfied with not having any issues to use it for your carry\SD\HD round?

I know you can't put a price on your life but I've seen where guys shoot 500 rounds of a potential round before they feel comfortable with it. That seems somewhat extreme.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I don't like to nor can I afford to shoot the good stuff all day at the range. I'll let off a couple rounds, make sure it feeds (which it does cuz I shoot Glocks) and make sure they are on target. Then I go back to target ammo. This works just fine for me.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I don't like to nor can I afford to shoot the good stuff all day at the range. I'll let off a couple rounds, make sure it feeds (which it does cuz I shoot Glocks) and make sure they are on target. Then I go back to target ammo. This works just fine for me.

Exactly the reason I bought a Glock to begin with. I will shoot off a couple of mags to be safe though.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Another vote for Federal HST. It comes highly recommended from my gunsmith and he is a member of IMPD. I carry these in 9mm, 40cal, and 45ACP. For now, it seems to be the best new technology round.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Any name brand hollow point will do it's job, if it is placed where it needs to be. I prefer 180 grain for deeper penetration. Find what works for your gun, and that you feel comfortable with. I have several brands, because I can not always find the same stuff all of the time. I have Magtech, Federal hydrashocks, and Ranger 180 grain jhp. I always fire at least ten rounds when I purchase a new holow point, just to make sure they function properly.:twocents:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Here's a general question:

How many rounds of a potential SD round do you put through your gun before you are satisfied with not having any issues to use it for your carrySDHD round?

I know you can't put a price on your life but I've seen where guys shoot 500 rounds of a potential round before they feel comfortable with it. That seems somewhat extreme.

500 rds does seem a bit extreme. I am comfortable enough with my XDs, having put a few thousand rounds of all different manufacturers, weights, shapes, etc. of bullets through it that just a box or so of what I carry gives me confidence to carry it. As I have said before, though, my XDs eat anything without any malfunctions. If I had a gun that was picky about ammo, I'd probably fire more rounds through it before trusting it enough to carry.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How many rounds of a potential SD round do you put through your gun before you are satisfied with not having any issues to use it for your carrySDHD round?

When I change carry ammo types/brands, I run about 200 rounds through the gun with a goal of zero ammo-related malfunctions. That said, I've been carrying Gold Dots and Golden Sabers in all my guns for a long time, so it's not an expense that I incur very often.

Top Bottom