3M Security Film installation . . . before a gun safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We are having 3M Security Film installed as I am typing. It is used on US Embassies and other government buildings as blast protection against car bombs, its used to foil burglars from entering retail stores through windows, and its used in riot prone nations to protect large windows on commercial properties against rioters.

It is NOT a 100% guarantee against entry through the window. It is NOT bullet proof. It IS, however, a strong deterrent and something that will dramatically SLOW DOWN entry for a very determined burglar and it will STOP a burglar who does not have the luxury of plenty of time.

So let me ask a question.

If you are just starting out in a new home and you do not have a big fancy expensive gun safe, are you better off installing 3M Security Film, or are you better off buying an expensive gun safe?

I think you are better off getting Security Film first, and then you can get a less expensive gun safe. My logic is simple, you have a gun safe in case they break into your house. But the 3M film prevents them from getting into your home so your need for a gun safe is dramatically reduced. I am NOT saying you don't need a gun safe. I'm just saying the odds of a successful burglary at your home are greatly reduced. That said, if I had to choose between FILM + a $699 safe, and a house without FILM but with a $2000 safe, I'd feel more secure in the house with the FILM over the windows. The $2000 safe may offer more protection for the guns, but it offers absolutely zero protection for your other valuables, TV sets, computers, family members, pets, etc.

Just something to think about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYdVK3BqPfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFCbjV7NgQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXRmvtfK3-4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HczmrOj0HY&feature=related

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Don't listen to him. ;)
    missing-mouse-2.jpg

says me who is having the same thing done today by the same company once they get done with melensdad's house. :D

(Ref: Tom & Jerry White "nuclear" mouse episode. You hit the white mouse and BOOM!)

BTW here is another simple way to deter the smash & brag.

I went to Menards and bought some steel coated cable (20') that looks like this:
    11964902.jpg

Looped the cable via the bottom wheels on my desktop and then drilled a hole in the floor to connect to the crawlspace. Bolted the cable to the floor beams in the crawlspace.

For the laptop I bought one of these
    kensington_slim_microsaver_security_cable_demo.gif

and same concept expect I "tied" to to the cable already going to the floor.

It's NOT thief proof since if you bring some big wire cutters you can cut the cabling but then again in a smash & grab it's about what you can take in under a min. Most likely they are going to grab the desktop and 1/2 into hauling it it's going to get snagged & dropped as they take something else that is not bolted down. Sorry TV :( & older PC that is setup as a decoy. :D

BTW the price of the film & installation is not expensive at all. I thought it would be much more.

---

NWI INGO Group - Join for latest news

Upcoming NWI INGO events

Useful Links (Ranges & FFLs in NWI, IN Gun Laws wallet size, Your rights when carrying & talking to LEO)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Don't listen to him. ;)
    . . .
    says me who is having the same thing done today by the same company once they get done with melensdad's house. :D
    . . .
    BTW the price of the film & installation is not expensive at all. I thought it would be much more.
    Uh, yea, about your installation. 2 of the 3 installers got here. Late. Got lost getting here. 3rd installer is missing in action, clearly lost in the local corn maze that surrounds my property. But then what do you expect when Illinois people cross the line into Indiana.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Don't listen to him. ;)
    missing-mouse-2.jpg

Copy Cat :D

I'd do it but I think that I'd like new windows 1st. Can you give a Guestimate on cost per window and can you buy windows with this pre-installed ?

Please PM me with company contact info - Thanks

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne

I'd do it but I think that I'd like new windows 1st. Can you give a Guestimate on cost per window and can you buy windows with this pre-installed ?

+1 on this. I too have been interested in having this done. Does the company that is installing it have a website to check out or anything?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Uh, yea, about your installation. 2 of the 3 installers got here. Late. Got lost getting here. 3rd installer is missing in action, clearly lost in the local corn maze that surrounds my property. But then what do you expect when Illinois people cross the line into Indiana.

oh so now they r mine when they stuff bad? ;)

+1 on this. I too have been interested in having this done. Does the company that is installing it have a website to check out or anything?

My cost info
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...or_held_1_of_3_at_gunpoint-3.html#post1954827

here is how to find a dealer near you
    3M

oh n agree get new windows if u need them first

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Melensdad, please don't put too much trust in a film on your windows keeping you much more protected from anything! While it is not a bad idea, it won't keep anyone from kicking your door in or coming through your garage by hacking the opener. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that the film and installation will probably cost at least $500-$600 and depending on how many guns you want to protect, you can get a pretty good safe for the same money. Also consider solid core or steel doors with better locks and dead bolts including to the room or closet that you keep your firearms in

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Wow... I might have to look into this when I get new windows at our place, we have this at work and didn't realize it was so reasonably priced for residential. Aiming at doing the living room at least before winter, our windows were very poorly installed when the house was built 5 years ago (we just bought this house Oct2010) and I had to use plastic window seal packages on the living room because it was literally drafting so badly that the living room would be 60 degrees while every other room was 75+ (thermostat located in Living Room)

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Melensdad, please don't put too much trust in a film on your windows keeping you much more protected from anything! While it is not a bad idea, it won't keep anyone from kicking your door in or coming through your garage by hacking the opener. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that the film and installation will probably cost at least $500-$600 and depending on how many guns you want to protect, you can get a pretty good safe for the same money. Also consider solid core or steel doors with better locks and dead bolts including to the room or closet that you keep your firearms in

While you have good points about the windows, let me point out that if you lock the door coming in from your garage, even if it's a Steel door you're not really protecting much... the majority of door kick ins are possible because of the door frame, not because of a weak door.

If you really want to take nearly undetectable steps (Because who wants to live in a house that looks like a prison?) to harden your residence against storms and intruders, I would apply this film to windows and install steel door frames with steel doors (both of which have models produced that look identical to your standard primary entry/exit household models from the outside or to a casual once over) to go along with your alarm system and K9 intruder awareness unit. :D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Side comment: Laptop cables are good. Laptops in gun safe while you are away is far, far better.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

$500 to $600 is a cheap safe. The good ones cost 3 to 4 times that amount.

And while you make some good points I think most people tend to "harden" their homes in layers of security. Starting with obvious things like a deadbolt on the door, then moving up to reinforced door frames, then moving up to alarm systems, then using outside measures like planting thorn bushes under the windows, etc. Anything that DETERS someone is a good thing. Anything that SLOWS them down is also a good thing.

This is just another layer of security.

how is it against a knife? once the integrity is broken will it tear like fabric?
    The 3M film is very difficult to tear. There are other brands that seem to tear pretty easily. This is applied to the INSIDE of the glass, you'd have to get the knife inside to try to cut it. That might be a challenge in and of itself.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Does the film help on the Nipsco bill too?
    I'm looking to replace a bunch of windows and if the film insulates too that would be a big plus.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    While you have good points about the windows, let me point out that if you lock the door coming in from your garage, even if it's a Steel door you're not really protecting much... the majority of door kick ins are possible because of the door frame, not because of a weak door.

If you really want to take nearly undetectable steps (Because who wants to live in a house that looks like a prison?) to harden your residence against storms and intruders, I would apply this film to windows and install steel door frames with steel doors (both of which have models produced that look identical to your standard primary entry/exit household models from the outside or to a casual once over) to go along with your alarm system and K9 intruder awareness unit. :D

True!!! I was just pointing out that window film is fine.... As PART of a total security package.... Just to not rely on it alone.
    Since my last post I have read other posts by Melensdad and have learned that that is exactly what he is doing... The film, along with many other steps, and deterrents. Sounds like he should be pretty safe, although no amount of security is totally fool proof!

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Gents, I am in the replacement window business and can testify to the credibility of the 3M film. While a BG can get thru it, he better pack a lunch because he's going to be there awhile. It is a DETERANT, not total security. If you're home, it will give you plenty of time to get ready to introduce the BG to Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson or Mr. Mossburg when he finaly gets thru the film hours later. If you're not home, after a few minutes of trying to get in thru a window or door with this stuff, most BGs will loook for an easier way in or easier prey.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Does the film help on the Nipsco bill too?
    I'm looking to replace a bunch of windows and if the film insulates too that would be a big plus.

YES or NO, but that totally depends on the TYPE of film you choose.

They have a clear Security film that does not stop UV/Heat/Solar and they have TINTED Security films that do dramatically cut heat gain/losses/UV/etc. The tinted films cost more.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    $500 to $600 is a cheap safe. The good ones cost 3 to 4 times that amount.

And while you make some good points I think most people tend to "harden" their homes in layers of security. Starting with obvious things like a deadbolt on the door, then moving up to reinforced door frames, then moving up to alarm systems, then using outside measures like planting thorn bushes under the windows, etc. Anything that DETERS someone is a good thing. Anything that SLOWS them down is also a good thing.

This is just another layer of security.

Yes 5-600 could be a cheap safe..... Depending on size! That's why I mentioned the fact that it depends on how many guns you are trying to secure!
    As mentioned above, it sounds like you are building a good system! I was just replying to your original post which sounded to me like you were saying that a cheaper safe + window film was a better choice than a better safe and no film. I was just pointing out that the windows and-or safe are just a small part of home security. But you already know that. I must have missed your report about your break in.... Hope you didn't lose too many irreplaceables! I know what it's like to be violated like that...not fun!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Gents, I am in the replacement window business and can testify to the credibility of the 3M film. While a BG can get thru it, he better pack a lunch because he's going to be there awhile. It is a DETERANT, not total security. If you're home, it will give you plenty of time to get ready to introduce the BG to Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson or Mr. Mossburg when he finaly gets thru the film hours later. If you're not home, after a few minutes of trying to get in thru a window or door with this stuff, most BGs will loook for an easier way in or easier prey.

I'm sure that the 3M Product is Outstanding with a Professional Install and All Installers are NOT Created Equal. Steve, do you install the 3M film and what area do you cover ?
    I'd rather spend my money with a Gun Guy and feel safer who I let in the house - Thanks :yesway:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Maybe the cost of safes have risen since I last priced them. Walmart used to sell decent safes for right at $300, so you don't have to spend that much money on a hard to open safe. They were about five feet tall with combo lock. They easily hold about six long guns, and I would say six-ten handguns depending on if you stored them in bags or wire racks. They weren't fire proof, they weren't spring loaded in case of a drill attack, they had the hinges on the inside, and had a basic combo lock.

For this type of safe, no simple tools are going to open it. A person could eventually smash through your 3M film, but even a sledge hammer wouldn't let them get into this sort of safe unless they had days on end to wack away. Eventually they might make some sort of headway, but the metal was thick and construction seemed pretty good.

I would say in order of importance:

#1: Wireless (and hardwired if both available) alarm system. Stickers on all windows and doors. Signs near all entry doors. Make sure you turn it. I read a statistic that when a home with an alarm system is victimized, a huge % didn't have the alarm on (for whatever reason).

#2: At least a safe like discussed above. Something more than what I call a "gym locker" thin metal safe/cabinet/lockbox. Get something sturdy, put two or three boards of wood down in a closet(something that is a trick to install, get down) and drill the safe into those pieces of plywood.

#3: Security doors. I would upgrade my "screen door" to a security door. Wrought iron doors that use standard deadbolt locks are good. Mernards sells a more standard "storm door" that actually uses locking bolts at the top and bottom. The glass panels also have treatments similar to what this 3M film provides.

#4: Then I would buy the window film.

I like the idea of the window film and if I end up in a house where I see myself for a while (like over a decade), I would seriously consider it. I just would upgrade everything else first.

Here is an example of the newer storm/security doors with multiple latch points:

bg_StormDoorBG_door-lock-system.jpg

As I said before, Mernards has one with the glass that is hard to break.

Sure-Strike deadbolt strike plate:

home_page_left_image.jpg

Top Bottom