• ...and so much more!
  • Vermin8r

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2024
    St. Joseph County
    Anybody chronograph FACTORY .357s through a 6” revolver? It’s hard to find much info for the long barrel—the 4” street stopper and the icky little snubnoses get all the attention. ;) I’m planning to do a fairly extensive test of 158 grain loads through my 6” Astra (and post the results on INGO, of course), but I haven’t fit it into my life yet. Anybody have data they want to share before I get into it, or have a particular load they’d like to see tested? If it’s on my dime, think affordable stuff—the kind that comes in 50 round boxes (though I HAVE to do that hot 154 grain HST eventually). Oh, and I’m not interested in the Underwood or Buffalo Bore stuff; I don’t entirely trust them, not to mention the cost.

So far what I have lined up (all 158s) is:

S&B FMJ, SJHP, SP
    PPU FMJ, JHP
    Aguila SJSP
    Federal American Eagle SP
    Magtech SJHP, SJSP
    Fiocchi JHP

Underwood .38 +P SWC (wouldn’t want to subject my .38s to that but it’s fine for a .357)

I’m hoping to add to this, at some point, the PMC SP and the Blazer BRASS JHP—not the aluminum ones.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Way back in the December 1993 edition of Shooting Times Wiley Clapp performed a rather extensive test of six 6" 357s. Firing 14 different loads , at 4 distances , with each revolver - 4032 total rounds fired. Each revolver fired 12 shot groups at each distance with each brand of ammo. Here are the 158 grain results along with a 160.
    11 357 test.jpg

Vermin8r

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2024
    St. Joseph County
    I only shoot my reloads, going with longer barrels i get a slightly higher velocity and it goes higher the longer the barrel!
    I assume it depends on the kind of powder to some degree, but what kind of increase do you normally see going from a 4” to 6”? Say, for a load that does 1200 in the 4, how fast is it out of the 6?

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I assume it depends on the kind of powder to some degree, but what kind of increase do you normally see going from a 4” to 6”? Say, for a load that does 1200 in the 4, how fast is it out of the 6?
    Its not a lot out of handguns maybe 50 ft tops in a 8" barrel, i find when i shoot my lever actions is where i see the biggest change! I am testing some accurate 4100 now and it is giving me #'s close to w 295 and h110.

Vermin8r

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2024
    St. Joseph County
    Way back in the December 1993 edition of Shooting Times Wiley Clapp performed a rather extensive test of six 6" 357s. Firing 14 different loads , at 4 distances , with each revolver - 4032 total rounds fired. Each revolver fired 12 shot groups at each distance with each brand of ammo. Here are the 158 grain results along with a 160.
    View attachment 371325
    Are those the muzzle velocity? You said he tested four different distances.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There's a site called ballistics by the inch that posts velocities for almost all common calibers in barrel lengths from 2"- 20"+ ( by the inch)

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Are those the muzzle velocity? You said he tested four different distances.
    Yeah those are the muzzle velocity averages for each brand of ammo. Each type of ammo was fired at 25, 50 , 75 and 100 yards as it was mainly an accuracy test. He tested factory ammo from 125 to 180 grains.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Anybody chronograph FACTORY .357s through a 6” revolver? It’s hard to find much info for the long barrel—the 4” street stopper and the icky little snubnoses get all the attention. ;) I’m planning to do a fairly extensive test of 158 grain loads through my 6” Astra (and post the results on INGO, of course), but I haven’t fit it into my life yet. Anybody have data they want to share before I get into it, or have a particular load they’d like to see tested? If it’s on my dime, think affordable stuff—the kind that comes in 50 round boxes (though I HAVE to do that hot 154 grain HST eventually). Oh, and I’m not interested in the Underwood or Buffalo Bore stuff; I don’t entirely trust them, not to mention the cost.

So far what I have lined up (all 158s) is:

S&B FMJ, SJHP, SP
    PPU FMJ, JHP
    Aguila SJSP
    Federal American Eagle SP
    Magtech SJHP, SJSP
    Fiocchi JHP

Underwood .38 +P SWC (wouldn’t want to subject my .38s to that but it’s fine for a .357)

I’m hoping to add to this, at some point, the PMC SP and the Blazer BRASS JHP—not the aluminum ones.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    A 1200fps from a 4” (with a magnum powder , h110/Win296) would gain 150+fps in those extra 2 inches.

It makes a huge difference.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What exact load? revolvers don't need to have ammo in the "window" power wise for the gun to function so .357 load A will perform very different from .357 load B. As Aszerigan says, Even at the same peak pressure, burn rate is really different between powders. Bullet selection is as much a factor. BBTI will give some great, real examples though.

Playing with my 50 Beowulf, H110 behind a 300gr pill was throwing fireballs into the neighboring lanes with a 16" barrel. 1680 and a 500gr pill had no flash.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom