• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    So I've got a surplus of Berry's 125 gr flat nosed projectiles in .357, and I'd like to load them for my 9mm using 231 or Unique. All of the evidence I've seen on the internet says this should be fine, but there's a few warnings of possible pressure spikes. I searched, but didn't find a thread on INGO regarding the issue, so I figured I would start a discussion.

115 gr Berry's RN measures .356 in diamter and .554 in length.

125 gr Berry's FP measures .357 in diameter and .530 in length.

I plan on shooting these out of an M&P 9 FS or Shield 9mm.

EDIT: Both barrels slugged out to .357 at their widest point. Made a dummy round, it chambered and cycled just fine. Gonna load em up with 4.0 gr of Unique (only because I wanna use it up before I start using my keg of 231). I'll report back when I've shot a few.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    There's a lot of variables. A tight barrel and slightly larger bullet can cause pressure spikes or excessive leading. Variations on the hardness of the lead can cause issues as well.

It will probably work and as long as you are staying conservative with your loads and check for leading you should be fine. Back when I shot 9mm and .357 I would occasionally switch them out when I was playing around with it. If you wanted to be sure you could always run them through a sizer.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The guys on here that know what the heck they are doing would probably tell you to slug your barrels. That would let you know for sure. Since I'm not one of them, I would tell you that I see variation in bullet diameters of .001 between different cast bullets I buy, and I haven't experienced problems (yet), but my load recipes are pretty universally light.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Is it worth the possibility of messing up your gun, fingers & face... or worse?

9mm is cheap, why do this?

Because I have a large amount of .357 diameter bullets, and no revolver. [STRIKE]I plan on slugging my barrels first[/STRIKE], and loading these mild.

EDIT: Both barrels slugged out to .357 at their widest.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have seen this done. I would not try it with a jacketed bullet, but the Berry's are pretty soft. Go start low, go slow. Good luck

If you think you will ever cast bullets, buy a .356" bullet sizer die from LEE. The LEE sizer dies work in a reloading press, no special press needed. I am sure those bullets will go through the die fine.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    I am an avid caster and just loaded up a thousand 125 gr round nose over 3 1/2 gr of 231 for my Star Firestar in 9mm. .Bullets were sized .358 to go with my .3565 bore. They shoot just fine in my gun with no signs of excess pressure.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks guys, I didn't think there would be a problem, as the plated bullets are fairly soft. Sadly, I didn't make enough to get rid of all of the Unique in my keg. This stuff is dirty, but it lasts forever!

Top Bottom