.35 remington for 2014 deer hunting season it is...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Well its looking pretty good.

1987 Marlin 336 .35 Rem CHECK
    100+ .35rem Brass to trim and load CHECK
    100 200gr projectiles backordered until Apr 1 CHECK
    Going to Oklahoma City next month which happens to have alot of guns shops and a Bass Pro for powder, primers CHECK
    Order dies from Midway......pending

:ingo:

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I wouldn't trim all 100 pieces down to < 1.8". I keep 40 for hunting at 1.79" and the rest of my 35 rem brass at factory length. I have never seen different performance between the factory length and the short. I'm just trying to save you time trimming all those down.

If your bullets don't come in I could sell you some to get you through until they arrive.

Good luck!

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    But....but....what about the 35 VIPER!!! It's the most amazing overpriced legal 35 round ever produced, and it can be shot from a mall ninja AR!! :):

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I second the suggestion to trim just a few of your cases to "shortie". I've only trimmed 20 of mine in hopes that Indiana will see the light and allow the use of the factory round.

I can dream, can't I?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Yeah I am really looking forward to working some loads up and sighting the Marlin in. Heads up to all the .35rem fans. MidwayUSA sells Winchester .35rem brass for $33.49 for 50 (But its seasonal run stuff) so setup an account and click on "notify me" so it will email you when they are in stock. They also sell the Hornady 200gr FTX Leverevolution projectiles for $38.49 for 100. They are backorderable currently.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you happen two find a box or two of leverevution normally that brass is a bit short to begin with in most cases. I have a box around somewhere I need to measure. Do remember that they head space on the shoulder so once fired brass works best. I have seen light primer strikes on some marlin 336 with chambers oversized. Once fired brass works best in these cases.

i don't short this one I have an 1894 44 mag works fine.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That's a nice-looking rig, Den57! Have you put any 35-1.8" rounds through it yet? How's accuracy? Have you chronographed any loads?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Never seen the CVA Hunter before. Is that a single shot break open? Looks like a intersting rifle. I have a CVA Kodiak Magnum muzzleloader and I absolutely enjoy shooting that muzzleloader. Very easy to use and very accurate (mine is scoped). I purchased it new back in 2007.

Edit: Found the rifle on CVA's website. http://www.cva.com/Hunter.php It appears it is a lightened version of the break open handi-rifle models. I am suprised they chamber them in .35 rem.....But I am not complaining. Looks like they run around $235. Thats an easy way to get in the .35rem chambering to deer hunt with.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It is a similar design to the H&R, but not identical. The H&R SB2 and this offering are pretty strong guns. The CVA Hunter is even available in 35 Whelen...I bet that thing kicks like crazy, being so light!

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    That's a nice-looking rig, Den57! Have you put any 35-1.8" rounds through it yet? How's accuracy? Have you chronographed any loads?

Thanks guys!!! No, I haven't shot it yet. I just got the rifle a week ago and the scope this past Thursday.

CVA has a Scout V2 that is a nice rifle. I have a friend in La. that hunts with one in .35 Remington and he has sent me load data and some photo's of his groups. I hope to be able to get the same results with this CVA Hunter.

This model Hunter has the 22" barrel. I haven't weighted the gun with the scope, but going by what CVA and Weaver say the rifle and scope weight, the combo comes in right a 7lbs The trigger seems to be really good out of the box as well as the fit and finish. A lot better than most of the Handi rifles that I have looked at and tried.

I have everything to reload except powder. I hope to find what I need soon though....... maybe......... : )

Last edited:

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    I have 20 pieces of brass shortened and set back for hunting. I am doing all of my load work with full length brass. I am shooting a Remington 760. It works good in other states. Just got rid of the see through scope mounts and got the scope down lower. Enjoy your rifle.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Thanks Savage99. I looked for a Remington 760 or a 740 for a while before I bought the CVA. I found a couple but nothing that I felt comfortable with to make a purchase. I have 100 rds of brass primed and ready for load testing as soon as I find the powder I'm looking for. Like you, I just plan on setting about 20-25 pieces aside for hunting.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Thanks Savage99. I looked for a Remington 760 or a 740 for a while before I bought the CVA. I found a couple but nothing that I felt comfortable with to make a purchase. I have 100 rds of brass primed and ready for load testing as soon as I find the powder I'm looking for. Like you, I just plan on setting about 20-25 pieces aside for hunting.
    Which powder are you going to use?

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    RL 7 would be my first choice, then H4895, Varget, H4198, if I stay with the 180 gr. ,but that is what I'm looking at right now.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I think RL7 and 4198 will be a bit faster than you'll want. H335, H332, RL10, RL12 are all in the right range. Basically, the exact same powders you'd choose for a full-length 35 Remington, because the capacity really isn't changing, the way it does with trimmed down 45/70 cases.

If you can get your hands on it, the first choice in powders might be Leverevolution. All other things being equal, it delivers more energy to the bullet, while maintaining safe pressures. If you're interested, send me a PM and we'll set up a time for you to come over, put together some loads, shoot them on my 100 yard range, and see if the LVR works for your trimmed 35 Rem loads.

Jason

Last edited:

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I have trimmed only 20 too and currently have them loaded with IMR 3031. If I shoot these up I will probably have to change to Levervolution or something else as I used up all my 3031 and can't find any more locally. BTW these shot the same as the full length brass with the same load.

My buddy bought the stainless CVA .35 and it is an absolute tack driver with Hornady Leverevolution ammo. He hasn't tried any shortened brass yet.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    " If you're interested, send me a PM and we'll set up a time for you to come over, put together some loads, shoot them on my 100 yard range, and see if the LVR works for your trimmed 35 Rem loads."......

Thanks so much for the offer Jason. If and when I get my powder I will give you a shout.

" My buddy bought the stainless CVA .35 and it is an absolute tack driver ".......

randy68 a friend of mine in La. has the CVA V2 as well. He has sent me photo's of some of his loads and targets. I can attest to how well they shoot!!!!!

Top Bottom