• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FISTERMAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Hi guys, after purchasing a ar-15, 2 pistols, and a shotgun, I want to reach out and touch someone now. Ive looked at m-1A's and m-14's, but ive also looked at ar-10's, ive used an m-14 before, so im a little familiar with them, but having an ar-15 im more leanient to the more familiar shooting platform that im used to. Im not too picky on price, as long as the rifle is worth it, so im open to pretty much any 7.62 long barrel that meets my specifications and i thought id see what some fellow indianers(?) would suggest!

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    If 2.5 or 3 MOA will work, then I also recommend the original black rifle, the right arm of the free world, FAL. I have a STG 58 and love it.

Dave

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you want 7.62 NATO then the M14/M1A platform is the obvious option.

There is also the H&K G3 platform, the PTR 91 is based off this. Bradis has one of these for a little over 1100

CETMEs are cheap, but the ones in this country are based off old parts Century imported. Some are good, some are bad.

CMP has an M1 Garand in 7.62 nato for $995.

IF, and I do mean IF, you can find one, the Italian Beretta BM59 rifle is an upgraded M1 garand. Springfield Armory Ind imported some. They are nice if you want some thing different!

The AR-10 type rifles they offer now are upsized AR-15s. They tend to be heavy.

Last edited:

FISTERMAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Thanks guys for the suggestion. Ive looked at the rifles and for the prices
    FAL SA58 $1700ish
    18 Inch LaRue Tactical PredatAR 7.62 $2500ish
    SCAR 17 $2700ish
    Springfield SAR-8 $1200ish
    DPMS Panther lr-308 $1100

I am perty pleased, however how do these rifles hold up? Some of these rifles are too "CQB" oriented, Im looking for a "stable" shooting platform that is more oriented for long range engagements. I have been eyeing two rifles for some time now , the Springfield Armory M1A(or M-14) EBR and the more expensive LWRCI R.E.P.R. I know the EBR is a better price, a little lighter, I have use it before, but not as a civilian so how does the "normal" civilian EBR hold up? Im not sure if anyone has ever shot the R.E.P.R here but if you have what can you tell me. Ive looked up reviews about it but theres no real pros or cons, the person just talks about the rifle and its specs.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    What about the semi auto that FN put out a couple years ago? Had choices between a 20 inch light or heavy a barrel, pistol grip, decent stock and set up for a bench shooter?

You mean the FNAR? I had one It shot great but it was such a PITA to fieldstrip and clean that I got ride of it.

OP if all you want to do is sit at the bench and shoot pretty groups on paper then why not get a good bolt action?

My bench rifle is a Thompson Center Icon. Its freaking scary accurate and a good bolt gun is a must for any serious shooter.

FISTERMAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    This rifle isnt going to be a bench shooter, but a more mobile platform, something I can have in a pack or nearby that I can use if theres a zombie way over there that I just dont like. Im not saying I dont want a bolt action rifle, I just dont have any experience with them but im open to any suggestions

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    A bolt gun in my mind isnt really about being tacticool. Its about sitting still, controling your breathing/ heart beat, clearing your mind and squeezing the trigger.

It more of a "zin of shooting" thing to me. Its great stress relief too.

Also I forgot to mention I own an M1A with over 2K rounds through it with never any problems.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    If money is no issue then SCAR 17s all the way. Free floated hammer forged chrome-lined 16" barrel, new manufacture gun, 8 lbs which is pretty light for a .308, folding stock, ambi controls, the only reason I don't have one is the price tag.

The only negatives I have heard is that mags are hard to find and the trigger is not great out of the box. Oh and the price...

FISTERMAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    A bolt gun in my mind isnt really about being tacticool. Its about sitting still, controling your breathing/ heart beat, clearing your mind and squeezing the trigger.

It more of a "zin of shooting" thing to me. Its great stress relief too.

Also I forgot to mention I own an M1A with over 2K rounds through it with never any problems.

thats why I hadnt given a bolt action any thought, although I dont do alot of bench shooting, im not saying there is anything wrong with it, but I just dont plan on sittin on a bench when the zombies arrive, so I dont train that way. but eventually id like to just have a bolt action for that "zen" feeling

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Hi guys, after purchasing a ar-15, 2 pistols, and a shotgun, I want to reach out and touch someone now. Ive looked at m-1A's and m-14's, but ive also looked at ar-10's, ive used an m-14 before, so im a little familiar with them, but having an ar-15 im more leanient to the more familiar shooting platform that im used to. Im not too picky on price, as long as the rifle is worth it, so im open to pretty much any 7.62 long barrel that meets my specifications and i thought id see what some fellow indianers(?) would suggest!

Usually multiple people from Indiana are called hoosiers. Or at least that is what I've been calling them.

I'm not exactly sure what your purpose for the rifle is. An AR CAN reach out to 500 with the right holds. Are you looking to go farther than that? If so, how much farther?

I've owned or shot many of the .308 semis on the list.

My favorites in order:
    SCAR 17
    M1A
    REPR

My least favorites in order:
    DPMS .308
    HK/PTR 91

SCAR for many reasons:
    +1. Lightest recoiling. I got to test this right side beside a REPR and it confirmed that I thought.
    +2. Most accurate. This gun will hold MOA with a 16" barrel.
    +3. Lightest. Comes in under 8lbs.
    -1. Mags

REPR:
    +1. Stunning craftsmanship.
    +2. Non recriprocating left side charging handle.

M1A:
    +1. Solid design.

DPMS or any other AR-10 style rifle:
    +1. Accuracy. Generally these are MOA guns.
    -1. Charging handle. The AR-15 charging handle sucks. Now make that heavier to rack. Under a scope (which is what most of these are built for) it REALLY sucks.
    -2. Weight. Even light barrel 16" models weigh nearly 10lbs.

HK/PTR style:
    -1. Weight.
    -2. Brass is nearly unreloadable.
    -3. Trigger.
    -4. Sights.
    -5. Muzzle flash/sound. Even with earpro it is LOUD.

I haven't shot an FAL yet so I can't comment there.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    FALs are nice, and my close second to the M1A. The deal breaker for me was the dial-a-gas-setting thing on the FAL. My M1A has cycled everything from Federal Gold Match, funky reloads, and ancient surplus that had fuzz growing on the casings.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I'm in the same boat you are. Looking for a DMR style field rifle. I am currently looking at the SCAR17, the M1A, and the FAL mostly. Rock River makes a real nice one in the AR-10 variant category, as well.

Top Bottom