• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Alright INGO people I have a question. I would like to buy 3 suppressors so I can have them by summer. I'd like a .22, 9mm, and .308 can. I'd like them all to be of the same manufacturer IF possible if only to save a few bucks on a bulk buy.

I've got $2,600 to spend on the suppressors. I've been all over silencertalk and all I see are new guys getting flamed.

Here is my only criteria:

308 can has to NOT mount to threads. Some sort of fast attach. I'd like to be able to attach it to at least 2 differnt rifles (so 2 mounts).

Anyone out there know of companies doing fast attach cans? I have only found Gemtech and AAC. After reading the Gemtax issue (not a huge one for me) and the fact AAC is owned by Cerebus (I really don't like that company) have me :dunno: about the whole issue.

So INGO, who the heck has what I want?

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    As far as .308 fast attach goes, I know that Yankee Hill makes one. I do not own one so I can not give you an opinion on quality, etc.

I do own a .22lr can. It is the TAC 65. I paid $200 for the can plus the stamp and I am very happy. It is a little larger than the SWR's and AAC's, but that does not bother me and it is plenty quiet.

Yankee Hill MFG makes cans in all three calibers that you want, and I have heard that they are good quality for the money, particularly their Mite, because you can dissasemble and clean the lead off the baffles. I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Gemtech HVT-$875
    Gemtech Multimount-~$600
    Gemtech Outback II-$300

Total for cans-$1775
    Tax-$600
    Total- $2375

Gemtech is top notch and comes highly recommended. I love my Gemtech products. Their customer service is outstanding and their products are awesome.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I looked at YHM and it looked like it was a screw on not a bi-lock type. I don't want a rifle can that requires me to wear a welding glove to shoot for 30 minutes.

BTW, great second post and thanks for the reply! I'd rep you but I'm out. :dunno:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Gemtech HVT-$875
    Gemtech Multimount-~$600
    Gemtech Outback II-$300

Total for cans-$1775
    Tax-$600
    Total- $2375

Gemtech is top notch and comes highly recommended. I love my Gemtech products. Their customer service is outstanding and their products are awesome.

I was thinking this. Weaker refered me to a dealer that got him a good price on 1 can. I think I can do well on 3. Thanks for the reply!

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I looked at YHM and it looked like it was a screw on not a bi-lock type. I don't want a rifle can that requires me to wear a welding glove to shoot for 30 minutes.

BTW, great second post and thanks for the reply! I'd rep you but I'm out. :dunno:

I got him for you

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I see that the Outback II doesn't come apart for cleaning. How do you clean it then? I have read about a ragu jar, cleaning solvent, and some sort of bubbling apparatus (think fish tank) to clean them.

Or you can send it to gemtech. PITA!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Might check with SAS down in Evansville. I've got one of their .30 cal cans on the way. They make a quick attach version. I don't see any .22 can's, but they are plentiful enough to find. I like my OBII and have not worried about cleaning it after shooting all summer with it. Thompson Machine is rumored to be working on rifle cans, but it's hard to say on that one. they make some nice looking .22 and 9mm cans. Check with Corey at SSNFA and he'll probably have some good suggestions for you.

Doug K

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I see that the Outback II doesn't come apart for cleaning. How do you clean it then?

You're supposed to clean them? How often do you clean the muffler in your car? :dunno:

Gemtech says that if you must, you can soak it overnight in something like WD-40, then blow it out with an air compressor or just shake it dry.

My 9mm and .223 cans are sealed, too. Doesn't bother me in the least.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Might check with SAS down in Evansville. I've got one of their .30 cal cans on the way. They make a quick attach version.
    +1 I can't believe it took that long into the thread for it to be recommended. Support an Indiana business and buy a SAS can. They're very good cans, and they do offer a QD option. They're cheap too!

I don't think they make .22 cans, but there are many other companies that do. I would check out the SWR Spectre for a .22 can. Buy once cry once, it is a little more expensive than some cans, but it is one of the most highly regarded .22 cans on the market right now.

IMHO, you're really limiting yourself by wanting them to be of the same manufacturer. Different manufacturer's specialize in different things, and none of them fit the bill completely for good quality cans.

AAC would be your best bet if they absolutely HAVE to be of the same manufacturer, but that doesn't go along with your dislike for Cerebus.

YHM would also fit the bill on most of the things, but YHM cannot sell multiple mounts for the same can, you only get 1 mount with it and the ATF won't let them sell anymore. I haven't followed that for a while but somehow the ATF considers their mount a "silencer part" and therefore it must be sold in combination with a registered suppressor only.

SWR makes the Omega 30 or 300 and Trident 9 to go along with the Spectre, but their 30 cal cans are thread on.

See where this is going? Its going to be tough to find a single reputable manufacturer that will fill all your needs. Also, it is very unlikely that you're going to get a very big discount on multiple cans. IMHO, I would contact a good dealer, and ask them how good of a deal they can do for you on a purchase of the 3 cans you prefer. They'll be able to make a deal on 3 cans of different manufacture just as good as anybody could make you on 3 cans of the same manufacture. The suppressor market is pretty competitive and the can prices are already almost as low as they'll go so I think you're shooting yourself in the foot to try to save a few bucks by finding 3 of the same manufacturer.

If I were the one buying I would get:

SAS QD .30 cal can with extra mount of your choice
    SWR Spectre
    And since I'm not up on the 9mm cans I'll leave that one up to others to recommend.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    You're supposed to clean them? How often do you clean the muffler in your car? :dunno:

Gemtech says that if you must, you can soak it overnight in something like WD-40, then blow it out with an air compressor or just shake it dry.

My 9mm and .223 cans are sealed, too. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Though I agree for centerfire cans I think .22lr cans need to be cleaned. They will lead up gain, wieght, and will eventually start to lose some suppression capability. Some industry types have gone so far to say that if you shoot .22lr through a 5.56 can it's "ok" as long as you shoot 5.56 through it after 100 or so rounds of .22lr to "clean"/"blow" it out.

4-5 years ago no one made a take apart 22lr can but now almost all new .22lr cans are take apart. Some companies will even convert sealed .22lr cans to take apart as long as the same tube is used. The trend is also starting to lean towards 9mm take apart cans, as John ****worth has shown (after thousands of rounds) that 9mm cans will fill up some too and lose sound suppression capabilities.

Shooter, I'm sure this is nothing you don't know just adding to the conversation.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Though I agree for centerfire cans I think .22lr cans need to be cleaned. They will lead up gain, wieght, and will eventually start to lose some suppression capability. Some industry types have gone so far to say that if you shoot .22lr through a 5.56 can it's "ok" as long as you shoot 5.56 through it after 100 or so rounds of .22lr to "clean"/"blow" it out.

4-5 years ago no one made a take apart 22lr can but now almost all new .22lr cans are take apart. Some companies will even convert sealed .22lr cans to take apart as long as the same tube is used. The trend is also starting to lean towards 9mm take apart cans, as John ****worth has shown (after thousands of rounds) that 9mm cans will fill up some too and lose sound suppression capabilities.

Shooter, I'm sure this is nothing you don't know just adding to the conversation.
    +1 If you plan to shoot your .22 lr can a lot, you absolutely NEED a take apart can so you can clean the lead out. As a minimum, at least get an all stainless can so you can do "the dip" to clean it, but "the dip" is very hazardous to your health if the proper precautions aren't followed, and the product you're left with is a "toxic waste" that needs to be disposed of properly. Aqueous lead solutions are very dangerous because they can be absorbed through your skin quickly and kill you in a matter of days.

Also, don't shoot cast lead bullets through your other cans or they will "lead up" just like the .22 cans.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Back to the OP's question.

I don't think there is one suppressor company that makes the best can for all calibers...I think each company fills a nitch better than others.

Example: AAC hands down has a pretty good lock down on centerfire cans. The M4-2000 and SPR/m4 are tough to beat in both cost and effectiveness, you could even throw the 7.62SD in there as well.

SWR I believe makes one of the best 9mm cans on the market. Year in and out it's always a top performer.

Gemtech makes the Blackside for .45s and AAC has their new Ti Rant, but with the Osprey giving the Ti Rant a run for its money.

.22lr cans are a bit more competitive as I think a few companies make a good .22 can. SWR spectre, AAC element, SilecerCo Sparow, Liberty makes good conversion cans with their mono core.

For me I went with the AAC 7.62SD, Gemtech HALO, and SWR Trident 9. A .22lr can may be in future some day but who knows.

It's hard to pick sides and choose a company based on principle etc...I try to stay out of the gun wars and buy the parts that fit my needs. AAC hates Larue Tactical and Surefire and Gemtech (gemtax). But I have an AR with a Larue rail AAC can and a surefire light go figure right?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Anyone have a link or contact info for SAS? I'm looking into a .308 can as well and settled on the HVT for the QD option.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Wow this thread blew up!

Alright, here are some answers from me.

I'm looking for savings that are less than MSRP. I don't want a steal, just fair. I don't mind if people are making money. I figured if I bought 3 from a type of "stocking dealer" I'b be able to save a few bucks.

I looked at the SAS cans. They are great prices, it's an Indiana business (big +1), and they come highly recommended by phlydog and others. I sent them an email regarding a quick mount and never got a reply (no big deal) but it looks like their .308 cans are threaded to a flash suppressor (simillar to the YHM mount).

I will be putting these cans on the follows:
    .22 can: Sig .22LR conversion kit for my X-5 and 10/22
    9mm can: Sig X-5 and probibly a 229
    .308 can: Savage 10FP and soon to be AR-10 build

Thanks for all the replies!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I figured if I bought 3 from a type of "stocking dealer" I'b be able to save a few bucks.
    As long as the dealer can get his hands on the 3 cans you want, they should be able to make a little bit of a deal for you no matter which manufacturer they're from. The odds of finding a stocking dealer that has all 3 cans you desire in stock is slim anyways, so he'll still have to order something, and at that point it shouldn't matter which company he is ordering them from.

IMHO, you'd be much better served ordering SAS 9mm and 30 cal cans because they're much cheaper than most competitor cans, and then getting another brand .22 can. That would likely save you just as much, or more money than buying all of the same brand.

Regarding contacting SAS, I think he is a 1 or 2 man operation. So the more time he spends answering questions the less time he spends making cans. Its tough to get ahold of him because he is busy working on cans. All I can say is that from everything I've heard, you'll be extremely happy with your can and if not he'll make it right.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I looked at the SAS cans. it looks like their .308 cans are threaded to a flash suppressor (simillar to the YHM mount).

Yeah, I was hoping for a Bi-lock also the way the Gemtech cans are attached.

Anyone have experience with these from SAS? Do they thread onto the flash suppressor/muzzle brake or are they a QD like the Gemtech?

Top Bottom