• ...and so much more!
  • orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    ...get out of doing hard honest work...:twocents:
    Honestly, I'm divided on this. Sounds right that prisoners should work to cover the costs of their incarceration. However.. there's the competition angle Fletch mentioned, and there's this incentive to make the whole thing a huge business:
    first you have companies renting out cheap prison labor.
    then you have companies writing laws that will make more prisoners.

They talk how positive this was going to be for the community, the amount of money that we would realize from each prisoner on a daily rate.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would rather their labor bring in money to sustain the prisons, rather than my tax money funding it. If that is possible.
    And as far as the competition angle, why not make it so that the prison cannot contract their labor out for less than the prevailing wage for the area and the work?
    And my line of thinking does not take into consideration any illeegal or inhumane treatment by the prison to its prisoners.
    I had a buddy serve for a while and while the food wasnt great, he ate well, and he sat around playing cards and watching TV on a communal TV set. He actually gained weight in prison....

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Notice the back, alcohol, tabacco are on his hit list... Hmm, now he needs tanks to fight the proliferation of legal substances??? disgusting to think a LE dept. has something like that...:twocents:

Not a tank, its a M109 howitzer and its not used for anything. Just a media prop.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Honestly, I'm divided on this. Sounds right that prisoners should work to cover the costs of their incarceration. However.. there's the competition angle Fletch mentioned, and there's this incentive to make the whole thing a huge business:
    first you have companies renting out cheap prison labor.
    then you have companies writing laws that will make more prisoners.
    And how far does it have to go before the whole system starts looking suspiciously like a series of Soviet forced labor camps?

Top Bottom