Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Right under Sheriff Joe's nose. I guess he was too busy driving tanks through suspect's homes, misspending $100M in taxdollars, and having his deputies arrest protesters to notice a HUMAN TRAFFICKING RING in his own department. Sheesh.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    3 Ariz. officers accused of drug, human smuggling - Yahoo! News

WOW... Looks like the drug cartel can even get it's hand on american LEOs. Ironic those LEOs were in positions to stop the drug and illegals from coming in and yet they are the ones involved in it. :faint:

Completely unsurprising. Everybody has a price, and cops are no less susceptible to the big bag o' money than the rest of us.

I'm with Fletch about the "unsurprising" effect this has on me......

One of the key tactics of any intel/smuggling organization is to groom and place someone sympathetic or a part of their group into their oppositions operation.

Oldest trick in the book pretty much.... a human "Trojan Horse"....

I strongly doubt the people involved started out as honest LEO who happened to start having sex with cartel leaders, accepting bribes and trafficking illegals out of the blue for some cash on the side....

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Right under Sheriff Joe's nose. I guess he was too busy driving tanks through suspect's homes, misspending $100M in taxdollars, and having his deputies arrest protesters to notice a HUMAN TRAFFICKING RING in his own department. Sheesh.

No agencies are immune to moles/plants... he ferreted them out. Look at cold war US/USSR CIA situations.

I'd be interested in seeing some info about Sheriff Joe's alleged misspending, this is the guy that feeds inmates at his jail PB&J to save taxpayer money.

The only protesters I've seen articles about him arresting were illegal immigrants protesting....wait for it.... laws to get rid of illegal immigrants!!...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Hum.. I think it was the sheriff that requested help on investigating this issue.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    laws to [STRIKE]get rid of illegal immigrants[/STRIKE] use as an excuse to violate the rights of anyone who looks like they might be here illegally!!...

FIFY

To the OP, I guess I'm not surprised either. They've bought out many members of the Mexican Police and Military, and this isn't much different.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Organized crime depends on the participation or cooperation from someone within the government or legitimate business, and the drug cartels work pretty hard at penetrating law enforcement agencies to identify people who can be corrupted. Seeing this brings about a sense of shame because the deputy sold his badge and sullied the reputations of thousands of men and women who didn't. All I can tell you is, most of us wouldn't dream of pulling this kind of crap...hope these idiots enjoy prison.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    I'd be interested in seeing some info about Sheriff Joe's alleged misspending

Conditions in his jail actually tend to kill people, and result in so many wrongful-death lawsuits I doubt he's saving any money at all. This one's not fatal, but a good example of what's happening... $4/day medication for a Crohn's patient was too expensive, so now taxpayers are footing the bill for multiple surgeries instead.

Staging assassination attempts on himself probably costs something.

His television show probably wasn't free either.

In March his office raided somebody suspected of cockfighting. Guy had no history of owning weapons but the sheriff's office believed he might be armed, and came out with this quote:
    "We're going to make sure that we have the appropriate amount of force in case we do run into anything like that.."

And this is the appropriate amount of force:
    XMqoi.jpg

Last edited:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Notice the back, alcohol, tabacco are on his hit list... Hmm, now he needs tanks to fight the proliferation of legal substances??? disgusting to think a LE dept. has something like that...:twocents:

Yeah I was just noticing that too as I was reading through a couple of the links above... W... T.. H...

Hmm..... disappointing stuff!

Although I don't think that the TV show stunts cost taxpayers anything other than the man hours involved (they were funded by the studios in both cases) I find a lot of this stuff that I hadn't heard before very disappointing indeed.

I was glad to see a Sheriff forcing inmates to work and giving them no better food, accommodations and amenities than the poorest of free people.

I really get mad when I see video of prisons with cable TV ran to every cell and inmates are goofing off playing pool in the air conditioning.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I was just noticing that too as I was reading through a couple of the links above... W... T.. H...

Hmm..... disappointing stuff!

Although I don't think that the TV show stunts cost taxpayers anything other than the man hours involved (they were funded by the studios in both cases) I find a lot of this stuff that I hadn't heard before very disappointing indeed.

I was glad to see a Sheriff forcing inmates to work and giving them no better food, accommodations and amenities than the poorest of free people.

I really get mad when I see video of prisons with cable TV ran to every cell and inmates are goofing off playing pool in the air conditioning.
    I'm right there with ya... I hate the fact that many convicts have improved their situation in life by going to prison. I fail to see how forced hard labor in prison is wrong.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I'm right there with ya... I hate the fact that many convicts have improved their situation in life by going to prison. I fail to see how forced hard labor in prison is wrong.

Exactly!!

If life in prison was hard enough, then the casual repeat offenders would try harder to stay out IMO! Not to say that life in prison is a cake walk, I'm sure it's not. But I've had first hand accounts from recent parolee's that say life is just as easy on the inside, they just miss playing video games, chasin chicks and smoking weed while they were inside.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    ....recent parolee's that say life is just as easy on the inside, they just miss playing video games, chasin chicks and smoking weed while they were inside.

They went to the wrong prison, they can do that now at the reformatory...ok not real chicks.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    (link to more of Arpaio's antics removed, rambone posted the same thing)

Exactly!!

If life in prison was hard enough, then the casual repeat offenders would try harder to stay out IMO
    I don't know about that.. some people have no other choice. Finding work nowadays is difficult enough. Finding work if you've got a criminal record sometimes impossible; it's rob people, break into places, sell drugs, or starve to death.

Maybe these 'it was so easy' people were talking about county jails? Because what I know, from talking to people there and from reading, is a bit different. For example there's a staggering amount of brutality and rape. Just a quick search gave me 2008 figures: 216,600 inmates sexually abused in 2008 across prisons, jails and juvenile. Another, this was recently in the news, the Supreme Court upheld an order to relieve overcrowding in California prisons. One juicy bit from the opinion:
    on average, an inmate in one of California’s prisons needlessly dies every six to seven days due to constitutional deficiencies in the medical delivery system.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    (link to more of Arpaio's antics removed, rambone posted the same thing)

I don't know about that.. some people have no other choice. Finding work nowadays is difficult enough. Finding work if you've got a criminal record sometimes impossible; it's rob people, break into places, sell drugs, or starve to death.

Maybe these 'it was so easy' people were talking about county jails? Because what I know, from talking to people there and from reading, is a bit different. For example there's a staggering amount of brutality and rape. Just a quick search gave me 2008 figures: 216,600 inmates sexually abused in 2008 across prisons, jails and juvenile. Another, this was recently in the news, the Supreme Court upheld an order to relieve overcrowding in California prisons. One juicy bit from the opinion:
    That still doesn't excuse the fact that inmates get video games, cable TV, exercise equipment, or get out of hard labor. They shouldnt have to deal with prison rape and brutality, but they certainly don't deserve any of the perks I mentioned or get out of doing hard honest work...:twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Not everyone in jail has been convicted of something. That's one of the problems I have with the guy.

And the workout rooms and video games and wonderful life you guys think is prison hasn't been (if it ever really was) for many years. I know someone in prison. Their sanitary dishwasher (not a luxury for an operation that feeds hundreds of people) broke months ago, so they wash their dishes in trash cans. Many of the inmates are getting sick. No workout rooms, no recreation, working out in cells (pushups, situps) is banned. Prison isn't supposed to be fun, neither should it be inhuman. It should be at least clean, safe, and healthy.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Not everyone in jail has been convicted of something. That's one of the problems I have with the guy.

And the workout rooms and video games and wonderful life you guys think is prison hasn't been (if it ever really was) for many years. I know someone in prison. Their sanitary dishwasher (not a luxury for an operation that feeds hundreds of people) broke months ago, so they wash their dishes in trash cans. Many of the inmates are getting sick. No workout rooms, no recreation, working out in cells (pushups, situps) is banned. Prison isn't supposed to be fun, neither should it be inhuman. It should be at least clean, safe, and healthy.

California just got in trouble for this exact thing. The state was running prisons at 150% capacity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/us/24scotus.html

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That still doesn't excuse the fact that inmates get video games, cable TV, exercise equipment, or get out of hard labor. They shouldnt have to deal with prison rape and brutality, but they certainly don't deserve any of the perks I mentioned or get out of doing hard honest work...:twocents:
    The main problem with having prisoners do any labor other than that required to maintain the facility itself is that they immediately compete with non-prisoners. Folks on this board are all up in arms about illegal immigrants working and competing here, but prison labor has essentially the same effect: it offers labor services at well below market rates and pushes legitimate businesses out of the market sectors in which it competes.

This is one reason why I advocate only imprisoning the truly dangerous -- as in "just as likely to stab ya as look at ya" -- and finding some other way to deal with the rest.

Top Bottom