• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Unless I am deer hunting I am almost exclusively a 28 gauge hunter/ shooter now. Practice and pattern the gun with your different loads and chokes, keep the ranges reasonable and you will cleanly kill anything you want to kill from rabbit/ squirrel to big South Dakota Pheasants. I would probably shoot a 12 or 16 for geese though.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Back when I was a teenager (50's) I knew a guy who had (and used) a 10 Gage for hunting geese. I never wanted to shoot it even though he offered!

I have heard some of the old men of that era discussing gages like 8, 6, 4 and the 2 gage punt gun (boat -mounted usually a 250 - 300 pound 8' or more long). These were outlawed long ago!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Back when I was a teenager (50's) I knew a guy who had (and used) a 10 Gage for hunting geese. I never wanted to shoot it even though he offered!

I have heard some of the old men of that era discussing gages like 8, 6, 4 and the 2 gage punt gun (boat -mounted usually a 250 - 300 pound 8' or more long). These were outlawed long ago!
    Outlawed to hunt with or own or both?

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    Back when I used to be able to shoot skeet I switched to the 28 ga. to ease the stress on my arthritic shoulder. I shot it as well as I did the I did the 12 ga. Tremendous reduction in discomfort.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    From outdoor life:

To hear some people tell it, the 28-gauge shotgun is imbued with magical powers, and if you listen to these fans long enough, you might come away convinced that you could use a 28 to down a crossing pterodactyl with a snap shot at 50 yards using a ¾-ounce load of No. 9 shot.....
    I'm acquainted with a man who's first choice at Wobble Trap is 28 gauge and you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that's seen him shoot it, that he can't do just that.

As stated before 28 is the most square load of all the shotgun gauges.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I've got a Beretta Silver Pigeon. For those not familiar, it is an over / under shotty.

It has interchangeable barrels in 20g..... and 28g!

It's a fun little gun, but I still find myself most often going with the old Browning Citori in 12 when it comes to time be in the field for a hunt.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    The Brits were making them and shooting them pre-1900 and Remington even made one single-shot model before the turn of the century, but the Parker double in 1903 put the 28 gauge on the map in the US.
    IMO, the 28 probably survived in the US because 28 gauge remains a class in standard American skeet shooting.
    In the field, IME, great carrying upland gun when properly scaled. It's absolutely wonderful if you have some yardage discipline.
    Takes quail beautifully. IMO, it's more than adequate for pheasant if you can keep your shots inside a roughly 40-yard radius. So, I'd say good for some pheasant applications, but probably not the lone gun you'd want if you were hunting wild birds in big country, especially over flushing dogs. But it's wicked on state preserve and game farm pheasant, especially over setters and pointers.
    I've had a few and have one at the moment, a Ruger Red Label 28. Nifty little field gun.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yep. It was so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Beat up and scratched and the wood has been replaced but shoots great. Not bad for 86 years old. The poly choke isn't factory.

It's a sweet shooter.

model12.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

My grandfather used a 10ga. He was a "bring enough gun" guy!

Top Bottom