• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    In the April 2010 issue of Gune & Ammo on page 27 is an article on getting training specific for giving first-aid for gunshot & knife related injuries. Near the end of the article the writer recommends a 5 or 2 day course at Tactical Response (tacticalresponse.com) and also a 1 day course by a person named "Doc Gunn".

I emailed Doc Gunn since no website was provided only an email address in the article as here is what I got as a reply.
    Is it March ALREADY!!!

I'll have to get Sheriff Ken an upgraded flyer "soon!"

The BCSD course in Lebanon is scheduled for July 24, 2010. An announcement willl be made 60-90 days prior.

I look forward to training with you in Lebanon on the 24th.

Best!

Doc

Suspect that the flyer will appear here at some point.
    Boone County Sheriff's Office
    under the training link on the right.

Last edited by a moderator:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks shooter good info on that OLD thread from 2008. The old course info calls for the following:
    Prior firearms training to the level of DTI’s Basic/Intermediate Defensive Handgun or its equivalent from a recognized school such as Gunsite, Yavapai Firearms Academy, Thunder Ranch, InSights, etc. is a pre-requisite. (Consult the class coordinator if in doubt.)

I've only taken the basic NRA handgun course. Is that enough? Or do you think I should sign up for something else to meet this? If the latter any suggestions? Thanks

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've only taken the basic NRA handgun course. Is that enough? Or do you think I should sign up for something else to meet this? If the latter any suggestions?

Not sure if the NRA course would suffice or not. That said, I don't recall having to provide evidence of prior training as part of the course registration. Can you safely and competently draw from the holster and quickly put multiple rounds on target at 7-15 yards? If not, you may consider taking a defensive pistol course of some sort prior to that, just to get you up to speed. Doc's course is not a "shooting" course per se, although there is a live-fire segment to it. As such, students are expected to come in with at least a modicum of handgun skills, since there will be very little time/opportunity for the instructors to cover that subject matter in the time allotted.

If you have further questions, I suggest you PM Glock21, who is an AI for John Farnam/DTI and Doc Gunn, or rhino from ACT. Speaking of the latter, they would be a good resource for you to get some refresher/basic skills training if you feel the need.

My :twocents:

BIX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    I took Doc's class a couple years ago and found it to be worthwhile.

As did I. Excellent training and should be seriously considered by anyone who spends much time on a range....or in a car.....or in the kitchen...:)

Regarding prereqs, we did a live fire block on anatomical targeting, which demanded some fairly precise shooting. I think that someone still working of fundamental marksmanship skillsets might struggle a bit with this block and find it frustrating. Shooter's advice is good. G21 and Rhino were both at my class.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I consider Doc Gunn's class a necessity! You will learn much about not only the treatment of wounds, but also about how to make your own handgun shot more effective.

Top Bottom