• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ammo hoarders represent the worst in us.....stockpiling ammo to pour over like gollum to feel in control.

as an alternative, why not focus on how you can help your neighbors and fellow citizens, maybe stockpile some badly needed meds...

I take offense at your post if you consider those of us that stocked up over the last two years while supply was plentiful are "hoarders (that) represent the worst in us".

Future shortages were/are inevitable and many of us planned ahead so that we wouldn't be stuck buying at inflated prices or not being able to buy at all. Because of us, ammo manufacturers were able to go to maximum production and lower prices for everyone wanting ammo at the time. If someone didn't take advantage of that it's on them.

If my friends or neighbors need ammo I will take care of them. I recently donated 800 rds of .223 to the "8th Annual NWI INGO/Winamac DNR Youth Day" and that is hours away from me.

As far as stockpiling meds, OTC meds are sold out as well now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ammo hoarders represent the worst in us. sitting in their bunker/double wide watching endless Walking Dead episodes dreaming about the epic battle where whats left of humanity is reduced to whomever has the most ammo is in charge. ready to blow away a neighbor for the last twinkie on the shelf, or living in delusional paranoia that they will be attacked for their last roll of toilet paper.

stockpiling ammo to pour over like gollum to feel in control.

as an alternative, why not focus on how you can help your neighbors and fellow citizens, maybe stockpile some badly needed meds...

So my extensive supply of ammo makes me a hoarder. Is that how you view us. Seriously.
    Brother I could tear your soul out verbally for that statement. You just belittled about every one that I shoot with and not a one of us live in a ****ing double wide and watch the walking dead dreaming of TEOTWAWKI. Are you really that far off the rails in all of this.

I am trying to be very understanding and kind here as we all have an opinion and can express it here in the guise of civility. But you are off the planet with that statement and must be one of those guys that buys ammo per range trip. Which is OK of course but seriously...…...Bubba we are not.

If you were in any loop on this forum and went to a shoot you might just pass out from the firearms and ammo at the ready. I smile when I see so many who are prepared. Not for Zombies man. We are prepared to repel boarders. This is another topic in and of itself.

I for one have attempted to put in enough ammo to take me out the back door. The point where I am no longer able to send several hundred rounds down range in a single day. Oh yeah....we have several aid kits made up and at the ready if some one would need the help.
    And I matched gmcttr donation with .223. If I did not live in a double wide with all this hoarded ammo I could not have done that. Last 2 years it was at least 1K in 22LR donated to the same cause. Damned double wide living bubba butt hoarders.

Double wide.....man get the heck down off your high stool.

OK I will report myself.

Hey, I used to own a double wide.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    While I'm at it, I'll take offense at the disparaging remarks about those living in "trailer parks" (the correct term is manufactured housing community).

I bought a house, lost it all in a divorce, bought an old mobile home, worked hard on my way to becoming part owner of a construction company, had a house built and eventually became an owner of a mobile home park with 190 lots.

You have the same spectrum of residents in a mobile home park as you do anywhere else albeit at a lower income level. Their work ethic and morals match the general population and probably surpass it in there willingness to come to the aid of their neighbors.

That's all. I'm done here.

Edit: for those looking there is still .22LR ammo out there at fair prices if you know where to look.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    ammo hoarders represent the worst in us. sitting in their bunker/double wide watching endless Walking Dead episodes dreaming about the epic battle where whats left of humanity is reduced to whomever has the most ammo is in charge. ready to blow away a neighbor for the last twinkie on the shelf, or living in delusional paranoia that they will be attacked for their last roll of toilet paper.

Here ya go, buddy, 'cause I'm focused on my fellow INGOers, I care and I share. Hope you feel better soon.

Attachments

• butt paste.jpg
      butt paste.jpg
      182.9 KB · Views: 3
    Last edited:

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I am glad I am not the only one offended by this. I had to re read it just to make sure I got his point. I admit I buy ammo anytime I can and I have quite a bit saved/hoarded, but it's because I like to shoot and I have grandkids that love to shoot. I am fortunate enough to have my own land to shoot on, it brings me joy to watch these kids pick out different guns to try out and see the smile on their face when they try a new one. I have taught my kids and now grandkids about gun safety, hunting and the sport of shooting for years. So this is why I hoard ammo, not the reasons you stated.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think it is the new gun owners and less serious shooters who have been cleaning the shelves of ammo, albeit reloading supplies seem to be moving like the afterburners have been kicked in. Most of us, who shoot a lot and reload usually have a fairly large supply of ammo and components on hand. The preppers probably have had huge supplies of everything for quite some time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I'm at it, I'll take offense at the disparaging remarks about those living in "trailer parks" (the correct term is manufactured housing community).

I bought a house, lost it all in a divorce, bought an old mobile home, worked hard on my way to becoming part owner of a construction company, had a house built and eventually became an owner of a mobile home park with 190 lots.

You have the same spectrum of residents in a mobile home park as you do anywhere else albeit at a lower income level. Their work ethic and morals match the general population and probably surpass it in there willingness to come to the aid of their neighbors.

That's all. I'm done here.

Edit: for those looking there is still .22LR ammo out there at fair prices if you know where to look.

I had near the same situation after my 1st Divorce. But I stepped into a nice double wide. Buddy joined the military and I contract bought it because the "X" had my package. All of it.....:):

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

I live in a very nice double wide in the country. However...I have a mini-barn also. That is where I keep my "hoarded" ammo and I binge watch the Walking Dead. It is hardened with sand bags and shooting slots cut in the walls. What ?... doesn't every double wide dweller live like this? :laugh6:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am glad I am not the only one offended by this. I had to re read it just to make sure I got his point. I admit I buy ammo anytime I can and I have quite a bit saved/hoarded, but it's because I like to shoot and I have grandkids that love to shoot. I am fortunate enough to have my own land to shoot on, it brings me joy to watch these kids pick out different guns to try out and see the smile on their face when they try a new one. I have taught my kids and now grandkids about gun safety, hunting and the sport of shooting for years. So this is why I hoard ammo, not the reasons you stated.

I have re-stocked 80% out of the classifieds and other Ingo people I know. I have opted to by a case here and there on line and all my match grade and SD ammo comes on line over time.
    I got a crap load of SD ammo from a buddy.
    I can not remember the last time I bought ammo off the shelf.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

You are entitled to your opinion, just as others are entitled to theirs. That's the thing about any freedom, we are each free to exercise it as we wish.

Those who have stored ammo for times like these exercised their freedom to do so. Those who did not store ammo in quantity also excercised their freedom, in a different way. You are free to disagree with their actions, but they are still free to buy or not but the quantity of ammo they wish.

Cheap shot with the "double wide" reference. IMO, it says a lot more about you and your preconceived notions than about people who live in them.

Hoarding medications is actually a bad thing. Why not try to distribute medicines to those who need them? Make a donation to a charity that helps those in need of meds?

If this thing gets worse we all need to pull together. My brief time on this forum and the people from here I have met in person makes my sure that those who make up the INGO community will be contributing to making things better.

I hope your post was in jest and does not represent your true feelings.

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Expat Quote: I noticed on line availability is going down and prices going up. I noticed a place that still had some fancy target rounds for the same price that the bargain rounds are now selling at, so I bought some of those. Quote

I spent time this evening responding to emails ads from ammo sellers, and went to my favorite "supplier" since I'm "low" on 9mm.
    Everything gone that I wanted.
    I thought I had 500 rounds of Herter's 9mm on Gun.deals.com bought, only to find out after I clicked the "send" button, a red box came up saying they couldn't sell in the 500 round unit that they'd advertised: bummer! :dunno:
    Tried the same with some .22LR ammo, and ran into the same thing.
    I'm down to only needing 4 different calibers, but I'm only stocked well in 1 round, so-so in another, and very few in another, and very very few in the last round.

It doesn't help that I bought a Kahr CT (DAO) that I just love & I finally got a 365 with a safety I always wanted since I sold my new 365 w/o a safety, which hits into the 9mm supply since a man has to put some hundreds of rounds through any new gun purchase.
    Then I bought a Dan Wesson .357 just b/c it was a Dan Wesson & I just had to see if it would shoot better than some of the other .357s I've had.
    I thought the price on all of them was great, so I just couldn't help myself. :ugh: I'm still having FUN :ingo:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don't and never have blamed "hoarders". I blamed retailers for refusing to raise prices. And then I blamed the people that whine and moan about retailers raising prices because they are the main reason that prices don't rise at the retail level. Because of whiny consumers, a typical retailer facing a shortage cannot do the right thing and raise their prices to reflect the revised market, lest you hold a grudge for the next 30 years.

Cheap and abundant are mutually exclusive when these shortages occur. You want abundant? It won't be cheap (ever wonder why the pricier match ammo is the only stuff left? Well duh). You want cheap? It won't be abundant. It will be backordered and perpetually out of stock. THAT'S HOW MARKETS WORK.

A business that raises prices does us all a favor for a couple reasons. First, the high prices instantly mean no margin on flipping. Nobody will be able to come in and buy out all the inventory and flip it because there's no arbitrage. If the selling price is the market price, there's no chance to flip for profit. This then means that ammo will be available on the shelf.

THAT is critical-- having ammo on the shelf. Why? Because it shows people there's no shortage. It ENDS the panic buying. It BEGINS the recovery of prices to "normal" levels. Do you remember how when .22LR came back, it didn't come back at $20/brick? NOPE. When it came back, you were lucky to find crap like T-bolt for $40/brick. And then slowly prices fell. And then you started to find some Winchester and maybe even a little CCI. And people who never would have tried Aguila did and realized it's actually pretty good. And prices fell some more. (research the history of bank panics and you'll see the same story: the way to end a run is for people to feel like there's no shortage)

But it only happened because eventually higher prices curbed demand enough that supply could catch up. Ask the ammo makers and they'll all tell you: they were running flat out and making as much .22LR as ever. It was NOT a change in supply that caused the shortage, it was entirely a spike in demand. Which a high price-- if allowed by whiny consumers to actually happen-- would have ended the shortage much sooner. In the same way that the gasoline "gougers" helped get Louisiana back on its feet by providing much needed fuel to the recovery effort. You cannot meddle with a market price without ending up worse off.

And last I checked, we still have multiple places competing for business. CTD can ask $32 a round for all I care. There's no shortage of better places to buy ammo. You don't want to pay their stupid high prices? Go elsewhere.

If I were a new shooter and unaware of the whine-then-dine cycles of the ammo market, I sure as heck would rather have ammo available at elevated price than have nothing on the shelf at all. Odds are a new gun owner will only be buying a little bit anyway.

You want ammo available on demand? I suggest you buy a press and some supplies and get busy once things get sane a little. That's what I did. After the last shortage, I learned a simple lesson: never again. EVER. I will NEVER be without basic supplies needed to feed my rifles or pistols. What I can't make, I stock. Now, I don't have to have a double-wide full in order for me to full adequately supplied, but I won't fault someone who feels they must. And I am more than willing to help out a new gun owner coming into this at one of the worst possible times (provided he's willing to shoot my handloads). I will happily donate a starter kit of ammo and even teach the basic reloading I know how to do.

We seem to understand economics a bit in other cases-- we watch Amazon move prices all over on a daily basis. But with ammo, we lose our minds. Businesses that cater to our collective insanity don't help us out.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    I don't and never have blamed "hoarders". I blamed retailers for refusing to raise prices. And then I blamed the people that whine and moan about retailers raising prices because they are the main reason that prices don't rise at the retail level. Because of whiny consumers, a typical retailer facing a shortage cannot do the right thing and raise their prices to reflect the revised market, lest you hold a grudge for the next 30 years.

Cheap and abundant are mutually exclusive when these shortages occur. You want abundant? It won't be cheap (ever wonder why the pricier match ammo is the only stuff left? Well duh). You want cheap? It won't be abundant. It will be backordered and perpetually out of stock. THAT'S HOW MARKETS WORK.

A business that raises prices does us all a favor for a couple reasons. First, the high prices instantly mean no margin on flipping. Nobody will be able to come in and buy out all the inventory and flip it because there's no arbitrage. If the selling price is the market price, there's no chance to flip for profit. This then means that ammo will be available on the shelf.

THAT is critical-- having ammo on the shelf. Why? Because it shows people there's no shortage. It ENDS the panic buying. It BEGINS the recovery of prices to "normal" levels. Do you remember how when .22LR came back, it didn't come back at $20/brick? NOPE. When it came back, you were lucky to find crap like T-bolt for $40/brick. And then slowly prices fell. And then you started to find some Winchester and maybe even a little CCI. And people who never would have tried Aguila did and realized it's actually pretty good. And prices fell some more. (research the history of bank panics and you'll see the same story: the way to end a run is for people to feel like there's no shortage)

But it only happened because eventually higher prices curbed demand enough that supply could catch up. Ask the ammo makers and they'll all tell you: they were running flat out and making as much .22LR as ever. It was NOT a change in supply that caused the shortage, it was entirely a spike in demand. Which a high price-- if allowed by whiny consumers to actually happen-- would have ended the shortage much sooner. In the same way that the gasoline "gougers" helped get Louisiana back on its feet by providing much needed fuel to the recovery effort. You cannot meddle with a market price without ending up worse off.

And last I checked, we still have multiple places competing for business. CTD can ask $32 a round for all I care. There's no shortage of better places to buy ammo. You don't want to pay their stupid high prices? Go elsewhere.

If I were a new shooter and unaware of the whine-then-dine cycles of the ammo market, I sure as heck would rather have ammo available at elevated price than have nothing on the shelf at all. Odds are a new gun owner will only be buying a little bit anyway.

You want ammo available on demand? I suggest you buy a press and some supplies and get busy once things get sane a little. That's what I did. After the last shortage, I learned a simple lesson: never again. EVER. I will NEVER be without basic supplies needed to feed my rifles or pistols. What I can't make, I stock. Now, I don't have to have a double-wide full in order for me to full adequately supplied, but I won't fault someone who feels they must. And I am more than willing to help out a new gun owner coming into this at one of the worst possible times (provided he's willing to shoot my handloads). I will happily donate a starter kit of ammo and even teach the basic reloading I know how to do.

We seem to understand economics a bit in other cases-- we watch Amazon move prices all over on a daily basis. But with ammo, we lose our minds. Businesses that cater to our collective insanity don't help us out.

And that resolves that.
    Well said.

Top Bottom