• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Anyone know of any good actual research done on this? Way too much mythology floating around on the internets.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Doesn't matter, I'll take whatever info I can get. Particularly interested in soft points though.

PARA1640

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    BONAIRE
    I think it will depend on the distance you take the shot. Up to 20-30 ft, I would take the shotgun with 00 buck shot vs a 223. At longer distance I would def take the 223. Nine pellets going at 1350-1400 fps will do some serious damage against a single shot of any 223.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've used .223 with 55gr HP and SP for chucks off and on.
    Sometimes it'll go in and just make the insides a slush, no exit.
    Up close and in the soft stuff, it can sometimes be a mistifying experience ;)

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    If you want to know about what the actual wounds look like, Google images is your friend. (you may lose your appetite)

As far as terminal ballistics goes, you want to look up "fragmentation velocity" of 5.56/.223. The velocity at which a given projectile will fragment, is dependent also on surface area, and cannelure of the projectile. At velocities above 2700fps (for 55gr fmj/xm193, mv of 3000-3200fps), "soft point" doesn't matter. 77 gr projectiles are physically longer, thereby having more surface area, increasing surface tension in soft tissue, thereby lowering the threshold at which they will fragment, to somewhere around 2250fps, or 48yds, out of a 10.5" barrel.

For 00 buck, I guess you could take wound ballistics of a .32acp, and multiply it by nine?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Varmint bullets are designed to be highly frangible. Some can blow up without going deep enough. Couple of decades back with Hornady SX, I had some blowing on groundhog shoulder hits. Switched to reg 55gr SP and got some torn up stuff now and then, but deep enough for more consistent anchoring.

They don't go through much stuff before coming apart, so would be a poor choice for the wide range of shots defensive situations might pose.

But on a wide open, minimal clothing target....................they'd be nasty.

Eh, I switched to .243 yrs ago ;)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    A bunch of holes doesn't beat the shock delivered by a rifle.

If a single shot by a 9mm FMJ doesn't inspire confidence for you, I don't know why 00 buck would. Its the same mechanics at play, just more holes with a vastly lighter projectile.

Rifles will blow out tissue and cause massive amounts of internal stress. Use decent ammo like M193 or M855 and you'll get the desired effect, sure it's not great past 150 yards, but it's devastating under 100.

Now if you load up with rifled deer slugs, you have something devastating. Rifled foster slugs present LESS over penetration risk than 00 buckshot, so it's much more energy delivered into the target. I know a lot of people find it hard to believe, but it's the truth, go look it up.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm very interested in terminal ballistics, especially when it defies conventional wisdom.

A Foster slug presenting less potential of overpenetration than 00 buck is certainly counter intuitive. Do you have a citation for the test you mention?

I get a good bit of my information from The Box o' Truth The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

2¾"
    [video=youtube;7HuVkXLreWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HuVkXLreWE[/video]

3"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oDG2i6rwjU

Don't think it's that surprising, it's a hollow cup made of lead, it's going to fly apart.

Just remember, solid piece of lead(00buck)=penetration. Hollow piece of lead(Slug)=energy dump.
    Need to look at it in terms of density vs size. This is why a 22lr will zip through a person's entire body and out their back, but a slug will stop, or at least have lost enough energy to not be as problematic as buckshot.

For rifles, it's quite a bit more complex than this.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom