• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    not sure where you are located but acme sports in seymour had a couple used savage .223 bolt action rifles with scopes for right around $300 when i was in there on saturday

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Where in Seymour would Acme be located? Need a good place to hide out next time we are there.

if youre coming off of I65, head west about 2-2.5 miles. Youll pass a chevy dealer and a mcdonalds on the right. Acme is just a little farther down on left hand side of the road right across from the old state police post and right next to a Stihl chainsaw dealer. Great great guys to deal with, ive dealt with Joe and Steve in there for years and my dad has even longer back when they used to operate their shop out of their garage, they really know their stuff, and im not talking just basics. Prices are usually some of the best, especially with ammo depending on the caliber and weapon prices are really good as well, huge selection and Ive never had any problems with them. Highly reccomend them:ar15:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As far as the frequency of shooting, I'm really not sure. We recently acquired a piece of property up in Michigan, so anytime we go up there, I will be shooting. I would like to get into some range shooting down here in Indy as well. So for the purpose of this thread, id say once a month give or take.

As far as cost, I don't feel the ~$.30 a round on the .223 is too bad. I would like to stick in that range or less if possible. If I'm way out of line, please school me.

As far as reloading goes, I would like to get into it down the road, just not right off the bat.

And 2cool, I have really been looking at the savage rifles. Seems to be some pretty good things said about them. If it matters, I do prefer the wood stock over the synthetic, but I'm not real sure if that should be a big deciding factor. Is the accutrigger a great upgrade to have over a standard trigger?

I own a Savage, and they are great rifles for the money. The accutrigger to me is a must. Also the actions are as smooth, as a babies ***.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    That's what I want to hear. I took my son up to gander mountain and we were looking at their rifles and some of the actions felt like total crap. I was assuming that it is because they he been out and handled by who knows how many people and not oiled or anything. I am definitely leaning heavily towards the savage .223 now. Now its just a matter of figuring out which model. The edge comes highly recommended but has no accutrigger. I would say its about time to pound the pavement and go feel some of the rifles and find the best fit for me.

Thanks again for all the help. Keep any suggestions coming as I am always all ears.

Last edited:

68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    I would go with a 223 bolt action for the coyote. ( just found someone who will reload). I would get the 22 Ruger 10/22 for shooting around. just my opinion
    :ar15:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Thats pretty much what I am thinking. I have a .22 bolt right now and love it. I just want something a little beefier and not too expensive too shoot. Thanks again.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    That's what I want to hear. I took my son up to gander mountain and we were looking at their rifles and some of the actions felt like total crap. I was assuming that it is because they he been out and handled by who knows how many people and not oiled or anything. I am definitely leaning heavily towards the savage .233 now. Now its just a matter of figuring out which model. The edge comes highly recommended but has no accutrigger. I would say its about time to pound the pavement and go feel some of the rifles and find the best fit for me.

Thanks again for all the help. Keep any suggestions coming as I am always all ears.

ive noticed the same thing about gander mountain's guns, they dont take care of them and hundreds if not thousands of hands messing with them. Ive bought two guns from them, the first was a 870 shotgun that i got lucky and got one that hadnt been out of the box in the back yet, the 2nd was a pistol that was off the shelf, had nothing but problems with it.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Here's an ammo question. If I decide to go with a single shot, does it matter if I use milsurp steelcase ammo? If I am handloading the ammo into the gun will it matter as far as working? I understand if I have read correctly that the accuracy will probably suffer from it, but will it work? I went down to Bradis this evening after work and checked out a couple guns and asked a few questions. Bill was very helpful. I just didn't think about this question until i was on my way home.

Thanks.

reload4ever

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    take a look at the stevens model 200, the price is reasonable and the accuracy is pretty darn good. I would suggest you buy an aftermarket trigger,the one that comes with the gun has a lousy pull. It comes in a wide range of calibers I own one in .223 and 22-250 and also reload for them,so you can make em shoot mighty fine.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    223 is a excellent choice for varmit control, plus there are plenty of varieties of ammunition and bargains to bring cost down for range shooting. for the gun, stevens 200 made by savage $300, weatherby vanguard $350-400, Savage Edge(kinna ugly) $350... you can probably find any of those guns used at a gunshow for even cheaper, keep in mind those are bolt actions.

Top Bottom