• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ianreed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Williamsport
    I just bought a Henry lever-action .22 (frontier model), and i noticed that it came in .22 s/l/lr, .22 mag, and .17 HMR. i have always shot .22 and never had a chance to shoot the other two. I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages they had and what you would use them for that you couldnt couse the 22 for.

thanks for any input

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I personally don't have any experience with the 17s but they have their following. The major disadvantage is cost of ammo. If you're a plinker stick with 22lr. Gun is cheaper by $50-$100 and ammo is several times cheaper. Some of the hyper velocity rounds perform awesomely on varmints and you can shoot the cheapo stuff for plinking. That said the 22wmr seems to have an effect far beyond its ballistic numbers on game that I've shot . It too is versatile but expensive for plinking at $8.00 a box and more. I purchased 22 lr in the last week for $16.97 for 550 Remington hp and $19.99 on CCI Blazer Lrn 500 rd brick. It comes down to your comfort level on ammo cost and purpose of use.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    22 lr is a great all around round. The 22mags and 17 hmr were developed to up the velocity which improves accuracy, "knock down power" and range. The 17hmr was developed to allow rimfire shooters the ability to have a polymer tip plated round that would travel at high velocites and not damage pelts in furbearing animals, but have the ability to put a coyote size animal down. However the 17hmr can damage meat more than a .22 lr in small game causing the hunter to shoot for small targets.

My personal experience has shown that .22 lr and mag hollow points made for hunting tend to be inconsistent in expansion and accuracy due to powder and bullet composition. The 17hmr is far more accurate than I ever could be and preforms the same every time. Shoot some water bottles with both and you will see the hydrostatic differences in the rounds.

Cost wise, I shoot a .22 lr if I just want to put rounds down range. I only shoot my .17hmr for hunting and would not plink with it. So cost works out.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I have a Marlin 983T in 22WMR and I love it!
    Cheap, accurate, fun to shoot and just as deadly as guns that cost 3 or 4 times as much!

img0909hp5.jpg

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I've got a Henry lever in .22mag. I'm glad I bought it. The .22mag is almost the size (in weight) of a .223 and is traveling at a goodly portion of velocity as well. With the offerings of slower, faster and hollowpoint rounds it has been a solid performer. It is pretty accurate when I do my part!

barricade

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    there all good but like they said .22lr is cheapest and .17hmr is most powerfull of three

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    .17 hmr is a favorite caliber of mine. Shoot lots of it on prarie dogs each time we go. A friend has it in a Henry and I just dont like how the cheek weld you get with a scope on them but thats me.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own three .22LR's, and one .22MWR. I have my Marlin 925R sighten in at 50 yards, and it is deadly accurate. My Savage MKII FV with bull barrel is sighten in at 100 yards. I have not had a chance to shoot it much. From what I have shot it is also deadly accurate. Just got my Marlin 925M, but I'm going to leave it un scoped. I have no use for a .17. Most people I have talked to say there not worth the money. Yes I know .22MWR, is about the same price but people seem to be more pleased with that round. I also have a Remington 597, with red dot scope. It's dead on at 25 yards.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Owned a Ruger 77/22 in both .22 and .22 magnum at one time. They where the absolute identical gun except for the cartridge. The .22 was actually a little more accurate out to 50 yards. For a plinker you can not beat the .22. Beyond 50-75 yards is where the .22 magnum shines. It is more then a .22 with more powder. The .22 magnum shoots a jacketed bullet at much higher velocities. The increase in performance is very noticable. For a varmint gun the .22 magnum wins hands down over the .22. Never owned a .17, but from what I can tell their claim to fame is flat trajectory and speed.

Doublet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Lafayette
    i have never owned a .17 . so can't comment on it . but in my opinon and the use of the 22 mag. i have brought down most things i have shot at , close or at a fair distance . Like the winchester 9422 mag. but all round hard to beat is my Marlin 883 tube fed .

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    My truck gun for many years was a custom build .22 mag. That was back when I lived in open places and used it for varmint control mostly. Accurate and reached out with authority a lot farther then one would think.

The .22 is very veritable if you get one that is rated .22LR, L, S. I have a few and most all of them set up for different rounds.

I have no experience with any of the .17's. I think they have their uses, but, from my opinion, nothing you can not do with the .22's.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Idk about .22 wmr, but I own a .22 long rifle (who doesnt? haha) and I have shot a .17 hmr. The .17 may be more expensive, but if you're going to do anything besides plinking with it, I would definitely recommend it. Better range, better velocity, and the ammo just as abundant as .22 lr even if it is a bit more expensive.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom