• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I need a good live trap so I can get the dozen or so from work. I can't shoot them in the middle of a public works complex.
    I'd really like to bring some home too. There is one a couple doors down giving a Richard Forehead neighbor fits. He needs more.
    One of my neighbor's name is Richard Cranium.... I wonder if they are related LOL

Conibear traps work well for making them DRT but there is a need of caution if kids can get close to the traps as they will break an arm easily

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    I finally caught this SOB in a live trap a few days ago, a big male I think he's the same one that chewed his way out of the trap a week or so ago. I don't live on the property so it's tough to get a shot at them, they see me or my shadow and go down a hole before I can get a shot. I also caught a large female last week so that's two and from the looks of the barn and corn crib I have quite a few more.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I finally caught this SOB in a live trap a few days ago, a big male I think he's the same one that chewed his way out of the trap a week or so ago. I don't live on the property so it's tough to get a shot at them, they see me or my shadow and go down a hole before I can get a shot. I also caught a large female last week so that's two and from the looks of the barn and corn crib I have quite a few more.
    I've mentioned this a time or two. In instances where they are very timid and I don't have much of a chance at good shots I prefer conibear traps set over the entrance of the hole as it is instant death and no chance of the groundhog tearing up your live traps. I've had raccoon and groundhogs ruin a couple of them.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Best groundhog gun I've had. Took this guy from in front of the house by the road. Farmer put in a new drain tile 2 years ago and I've seen this guy a couple if times this year but I've always been pulling in the drive and he takes off for his hole.

Attachments

• 20240531_201943.jpg
      20240531_201943.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 23

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    2 days ago the gf thought she seen a rabbit under the jetta gli and didn't ssy anything until i said there was a slightly big baby groundhog under the car. It took off and somehow hot thru the chainlink fence..then another did the same. Didn't see anything yesterday, but lil while ago i seen 2 looking lije tgey were headed under the polebuilding garage door. They ran back to underneath the jrtta. Ran in an got the shotgun. Looked under car and nothing. All of a sudden i hear movement in the engine bay. Banged on fenders making all kinds of noise and then all went quiet. Pulled car cover off, popped hood snd there were 4 tucked in around the back of the battery and engine. 1 made it out and escaped. 2nd 1 got out but dropped it 20 feet away next to fence. Last 2 wouldn't get out of engine. Ran in house and giot the marlin 60 since i could use that under the car. 3rd 1 finally got out , i threw a stick at it and it ran 30 feet dead. 20240602_141357.jpg20240602_141435.jpg

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Believe i just got the 4th that got away sunday or i hope it is and not from another litter Not doing a pic this time. Just got up and went outside for a smoke. Seen it in backyard run back towards my garden, grabbed shotgun and quietly walked around polebuilding. Bastard was trying to get thru chainlink fence in a corner. Good thing my garden was not touched.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I hate groundhogs! We have property on the Vermillion river where we keep our travel trailer and enjoy having our dogs with us. Our female can find ground hog poop and loves to roll in it and they leave plenty. This year is the worst for poop since we bought the property in 2017. Pluss they have burrowed all under the closed to traffic covered bridge right net to us. The county has looked at the bridge but has said they don't have the money at this time for repairs.
    I wonder if a .22 short would take one out? This is not in town but people are close enough I don't want to have them hearing gunshots. I don't have a problem with any rounds leaving the property, just have to be aware of where I shoot. Probably doesn't matter because I don't remember ever seeing one where I had a save shot. Jim.

pewpew2232

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Charlestown
    I hate groundhogs! We have property on the Vermillion river where we keep our travel trailer and enjoy having our dogs with us. Our female can find ground hog poop and loves to roll in it and they leave plenty. This year is the worst for poop since we bought the property in 2017. Pluss they have burrowed all under the closed to traffic covered bridge right net to us. The county has looked at the bridge but has said they don't have the money at this time for repairs.
    I wonder if a .22 short would take one out? This is not in town but people are close enough I don't want to have them hearing gunshots. I don't have a problem with any rounds leaving the property, just have to be aware of where I shoot. Probably doesn't matter because I don't remember ever seeing one where I had a save shot.
    22 short would do fine, I would stick to head shots, or you could get into PCP air rifles for a whole new can of worms.

Attachments

• IMG_2384.jpeg
      IMG_2384.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 11
    • IMG_2385.jpeg
      IMG_2385.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 11

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Put a box over the trap.

I think I'm convinced to buy a conibear trap, can you recommend a size and online seller?

I went to the property yesterday and found my live trap chewed up again after I repaired it from the last time. I've caught two groundhogs with this trap I paid $70 bucks for so it cost $35 per hog and now have a destroyed trap again. I'm gonna try to fix it but I think it's time to change the game plan. I'm amazed such a big critter can get out of such a small opening.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I think I'm convinced to buy a conibear trap, can you recommend a size and online seller?

I went to the property yesterday and found my live trap chewed up again after I repaired it from the last time. I've caught two groundhogs with this trap I paid $70 bucks for so it cost $35 per hog and now have a destroyed trap again. I'm gonna try to fix it but I think it's time to change the game plan. I'm amazed such a big critter can get out of such a small opening.

Any farm store should carry them. I got mine from Rural King. Make sure that you also pick up the "setting device". I've got the No2 trap and once set, place the trap right over the hole

Top Bottom