• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I think the PCP air rifle may well be THE best squirrel tree hunting gun?
    I'm pretty impressed with mine-it will shoot 1/2" at 50 yards and the ..25 pellets really make a pop when they hit! A couple added bonuses are the safety factor-like a wiffel ball,the pellets lose energy much faster than a .22 40 grain bullet and don't destroy as much meat if you don't make a perfect head shot.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    First day of season, 72 year old hunter, shot by another. :xmad:

Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Monrovia man injured in hunting accident (Monroe County)​

Indiana Department of Natural Resources sent this bulletin at 08/16/2023 11:30 AM EDT
    Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.​

Law Enforcement

Indiana Department of Natural Resources
    402 W. Washington St.
    Indianapolis, IN 46204

For immediate release: August 16, 2023

Monrovia man injured in hunting accident (Monroe County)
    Indiana Conservation Officers are investigating a hunting accident that occurred Tuesday morning at Morgan-Monroe State Forest.
    At approximately 8 a.m., emergency personnel were dispatched to the Morgan-Monroe State Forest property office to assist an individual who stated he had been shot while hunting.
    William Long, 72, of Monrovia, reported that he was shot by another hunter in the area while squirrel hunting. The incident is currently under investigation.
    Long was transported to Morgan County Hospital in good condition for medical treatment and was later released.

Indiana Conservation Officers remind hunters to always identify their target and be aware of what is around it before shooting in the field.
    Assisting agencies include Indiana University Health Ambulance and the Monroe County Fire Department.
    Media Contact: ICO Brent Bohbrink, DNR Law Enforcement, Bbohbrink@dnr.IN.gov, 812-320-9817
    What's his INGO username? :toilet2:

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    First day of season, 72 year old hunter, shot by another. :xmad:
    Stuff like this is why I think I am done hunting public land in Indiana. There is zero excuse to mistake a man for a f***** squirrel. Whoever shot him should lose their hunting license for life.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Look behind you
    Stuff like this is why I think I am done hunting public land in Indiana. There is zero excuse to mistake a man for a f***** squirrel. Whoever shot him should lose their hunting license for life.

Yeah, because like, that dude shot him on purpose, you know

Kind of a harsh punishment when you have absolutely no clue what the circumstances were

Maybe consider the possibility that a well-aimed shot somehow missed, and the trajectory took that missed shot waaaaay over yonder across hill and valley, into the victim, who could neither be seen nor heard from where the shot was taken...

Or, maybe Dick Cheney was hunting in Indiana

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Yeah, because like, that dude shot him on purpose, you know

Kind of a harsh punishment when you have absolutely no clue what the circumstances were

Maybe consider the possibility that a well-aimed shot somehow missed, and the trajectory took that missed shot waaaaay over yonder across hill and valley, into the victim, who could neither be seen nor heard from where the shot was taken...

Or, maybe Dick Cheney was hunting in Indiana
    Who said anything about it being on purpose ? I'm not disputing it was an accident, but I am saying that its almost 100 percent negligent. But if you want to believe the highly unlikely theory that the shot came from one hunter a mile away and over a ridge and just so happened to strike another hunter, that's your business.

And no I don't consider a lifetime hunting ban too harsh. He has proven he is unfit to be trusted not to shoot people while hunting. What do you suggest the punishment should be for shooting a grown man thinking he was a squirrel ?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    They're there, wondering what you are doing in their living room.:shady:
    Came in early.
    It's already hot, muggy, and buggy.

I did get one fox squirrel, but left him for the coyote.
    It's tail was missing about half of the hair.
    One side of the tail was bare from rump to tip.
    There was also a bald spot about the size of a dime on the top of his head.
    Skin underneath was scratched raw.
    Looked like he was in pretty bad shape.

Do squirrels get mange?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Who said anything about it being on purpose ? I'm not disputing it was an accident, but I am saying that its almost 100 percent negligent. But if you want to believe the highly unlikely theory that the shot came from one hunter a mile away and over a ridge and just so happened to strike another hunter, that's your business.

And no I don't consider a lifetime hunting ban too harsh. He has proven he is unfit to be trusted not to shoot people while hunting. What do you suggest the punishment should be for shooting a grown man thinking he was a squirrel ?
    Lots of assumptions here. And you know what happens when you assume? If this Hunter ever went to trial and you were being interviewed to be on the jury, you would be dismissed immediately for spouting this crap.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Look behind you

I was gonna reply, but BigRed must've taken all the *'s with him...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Came in early.
    It's already hot, muggy, and buggy.

I did get one fox squirrel, but left him for the coyote.
    It's tail was missing about half of the hair.
    One side of the tail was bare from rump to tip.
    There was also a bald spot about the size of a dime on the top of his head.
    Skin underneath was scratched raw.
    Looked like he was in pretty bad shape.

Do squirrels get mange?
    I believe it's possible.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Man, I haven’t gone squirrel hunting in years. Love those little delicious legs. Have a great season everyone!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom