• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm sure it sucks gas by staying in boost all the time if you're working it. I had no idea there was a 5.3 Colorado. Like I said, I've not followed Chevy for years and midsize trucks especially.

I would suppose the benefit is unladen fuel economy and that sweet sweet torque curve of a turbo, especially down low. Elevation changes certainly benefit a forced induction motor, though that's obviously not much of a concern in Indiana. Maybe weight savings? What's the 2.7L weigh vs the 5.3? Weight savings helps payload ratings, handling, etc.

For my use profile, I don't really care about towing or hauling any great weight. I'm not terribly concerned with fuel economy, but am concerned about fuel range between fill ups, which is one reason Chevy hasn't really interested me (as well as horrendous interiors until very recently, and eaton lockers instead of a selectable locker). Why no optional larger tanks? Ram and Ford offer 33-36 gallon tanks on pretty much any non-hybrid. The Silverado, even with the 6.2L, will not offer something similar. The Tremor with the 3.5EB is down right quick. Not 'for a truck' quick but legitimately quick. I'm not going to run my Camaro down with it or anything, but highway on ramps, 2 lane passing, and various 'sprited' driving shenanigans are a pleasure. Plus it's very easy to turn to absurd power if you're willing to run 91 or 93 octane exclusively. Coming from a hemi equipped RAM with 3.92s, it felt quicker. The Raptor is quick but you notice the higher rotating mass of the bigger wheel package.
    I don't know what the weight difference is. I'd guess less than 100 pounds, wouldn't really matter in a 5000+ pound vehicle I don't think.

I agree with the garbage interiors, this one does seem to look better, don't know if it will be better.

I hope they did a better job on the active fuel management and Evap than they did with the others.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    5.3 was available in first gen Colorado but not the 2nd Gen.
    And yes they are few and far between.
    Dodge had V8's on the midsized Dakota's also.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Dodge had V8's on the midsized Dakota's also.

Yeah, that's the 318 I mentioned, though I think they were marketed as 5.2L by then.

I remember the complaint then was why can't you get the 360. Forever wanting more. :D They were nice trucks, and at the time they were introduced they were the only actual midsize. They split the difference between the then-compact S10 and Ranger and the full sized 150/1500 trucks pretty neatly.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Yeah, that's the 318 I mentioned, though I think they were marketed as 5.2L by then.

I remember the complaint then was why can't you get the 360. Forever wanting more. :D They were nice trucks, and at the time they were introduced they were the only actual midsize. They split the difference between the then-compact S10 and Ranger and the full sized 150/1500 trucks pretty neatly.
    I believe they had the 360/5.9 in the Dakota R/T. Not sure if available in 4x4 though.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`m a Toyota Tacoma guy. Toyota just seems ti be better engineered, better built, and my 2009 Tacoma only has 125,000 miles on it. They are rated to be able to make it to 350,000 miles, if well maintained. Ask Larry at Larry`s Auto in Danville if my Tacoma is well maintained.
    Even Larry will tell you, any vehicle today, if well maintained, will go to 200,000 miles, but I like the odds of my Toyota Tacoma much better.
    And by the way, it`s "American made"...it was made in Indiana.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

6ofzjm.jpg

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The 2.7T will be a much better engine than the 3.6L V6. The mid output engine, which is an option on LT trim, has more torque (at a much lower RPM) than the 5.3L L84 V8 and miles more torque than the 3.6L.

As a former 3.6L Colorado owner...the 2.7L is a much better engine choice. (I was under GCWR with family by about 500lb per a CAT scale)

d4dbbc805e7ac4dc351e38acfc13730c.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm hoping they're higher quality than 70s and 80s Chryslers. Here's mine.

View attachment 214635View attachment 214636
    They are. Much better. We may wax nostalgic to the older cars saying "they don't make them like they used to" and for that I say "Thank God".

Cars/trucks from a objective point are better in many ways.

If you desire nostalgia or "soul" or some kind of visceral effect from a vehicle, get whatever provides that.

If you want dependable transportation that provides good utility, a decent ride, good handling, stopping power, interior comfort, fuel efficiency, durability, corrosion resistance, performance and longevity, buy the newest vehicle you can.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like the looks of those '23 Colorado's. I would at least look at one if I was in the market. Not the ZR2 as I usually look to buy one step up from the basic model though in this case I would look at the Z71 since I consider the LT to be the basic model. To me the WT is really a truck for commercial use specifically.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    As a GM recently disabled retiree, I am liking this over the smelly garbage of all electric like M. Barra and henchmen are pushing. Heck, they can't even get 2 or 3 hybrids going like everybody else to hedge their bets. Let's just put all our eggs in 1 basket as this is what Biden wants.

The only thing that sucks in the new line-up all use premium gas whether it is 2.7, 5.3 or 6.2. Higher priced gas I can do without. Thanks Uncle Joe, you've screwed over your country once again and know that nobody ain't going to do Jack Crap to you except your buddies in China when they tell the world they bought you and your kids. Best money Xi Jinpingpong spent.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As a GM recently disabled retiree, I am liking this over the smelly garbage of all electric like M. Barra and henchmen are pushing. Heck, they can't even get 2 or 3 hybrids going like everybody else to hedge their bets. Let's just put all our eggs in 1 basket as this is what Biden wants.

The only thing that sucks in the new line-up all use premium gas whether it is 2.7, 5.3 or 6.2. Higher priced gas I can do without. Thanks Uncle Joe, you've screwed over your country once again and know that nobody ain't going to do Jack Crap to you except your buddies in China when they tell the world they bought you and your kids. Best money Xi Jinpingpong spent.

The 5.3L went to premium gas? 6.2L will run on it, but why buy a 6.2L to cheap out on fuel.

Top Bottom