• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    to each his own....but i have never understood why anyone hangs the deer by the neck/antlers?????........why would you run all the blood into the best part of the animal....loins and back legs....

congrats on the deer......

No, I don't hang the deer from the rack. The hind legs are on the gambrel. If the deer is too big to get off the floor for weighing purposes, I simply lift the head up with rope. Once I am done weighing, I then lower the head back down. I never hang a deer from the head for the reasons you mentioned. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    would love to be telling my dear story but I am doing something wrong haven't seen a deer in 2 years, unless its not deer season then they are every where..hellllp

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Darkrose- I have the same problem with the hoist in my garage. I just took some rope, tied it around the rack, and ties it up to the gambrel. That will get the entire body off the floor. Congrats!

Well we hang hind legs up, we field dress in the field and start skinning on the rear legs...

Just saw the post above, gotcha, keeps all the true weight on the gambrel...

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I don't gun hunt, as I prefer archery and concentrate on the kids/wife getting deer in firearms. This year my twelve year old got his first buck, and my nine year old got his first ever deer. Good season for them.

2a8j9sl.jpg

IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/289ac0y.jpg[/IMG]

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Only a couple more weeks of rifle season left and I can only go out a few times. I will need to buy a muzzleloader and get ready for the rest of the season.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Got a spike on Tuesday. No trophy but my first in 2 years. Took him at 8 yards. 3:50 in the afternoon and thought he was going to come right into my lap. I see good jalapeño sausage ahead.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Put a couple year old five pointer down this morning right at first light. He was on the trail of a doe that I heard crashing through the brush about 10 minutes before him. The 458 SOCOM strikes again. The 300 gr. JHP did its job at 85 yards and he was down and out within 10 yards of where he was hit. Now to fill my doe tags...

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co

my 8 yr old grandson took the 8pt at 72yrds with a 357 sat eve after the snow sat morning. his first buck

igot the 12 pt tue eve with TC inline. really old buck probablly a better deer last year or year before.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I was out hunting in Boone county when I got a text from my dad saying he'd gotten a doe. Funny thing was that he wasn't even really out hunting. He had been out in the garage and looked out and happened to the see the deer in the field. He was able to get within range of it and put a perfect shot on it with his 77/44 and his hand-loaded 240 grain xtp. Weirdest thing was that the doe had a tag in each ear. Yellow tag in one ear and blue in the other. Upon speaking with the dnr officer it appears that the doe most likely escaped from a farm. So happy for my dad!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I was out hunting in Boone county when I got a text from my dad saying he'd gotten a doe. Funny thing was that he wasn't even really out hunting. He had been out in the garage and looked out and happened to the see the deer in the field. He was able to get within range of it and put a perfect shot on it with his 77/44 and his hand-loaded 240 grain xtp. Weirdest thing was that the doe had a tag in each ear. Yellow tag in one ear and blue in the other. Upon speaking with the dnr officer it appears that the doe most likely escaped from a farm. So happy for my dad!
    T

Several years back a group of us were hunting in Missouri and my cousin shot a tagged deer. It was also an escapee from a local farm. The CO stopped by the cabin we were staying at to check it out. I just don't remember if my cousin was able to keep the ear tag or if it was taken by the CO. I just know we razzed him the rest of the week for shooting a tame pet!! Congrats to your dad.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Well Firearms was a bust for me. I didn't go for the Deer bundle this year, so it looks like I will be getting an antlerless tag and looking for a doe during muzzleloader or during the bonus antlerless week after Christmas. Next year I will definitely be getting the bundle.

Top Bottom