• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Figured this woulda been posted but haven't seen it yet. Are they too dumb to realize you can only get away with this if you're on duty?

2 IMPD officers charged in bar beating caught on camera - TheIndyChannel.com

Much like the guy who got beaten, I don't give a darn if you show me a badge if you're not on duty. But it's sad the mentality exists that you can flash your badge at a bar while you're drinking beer to send a message of some sort.

Time for another demotion and suspension without pay and a plea deal for a couple of clean cut guys with no prior's, right?

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Well, the good new is the city council passed a bill extorting more property from Marion county taxpayers to get more police in order to reduce thuggery...oh, and to serve and protect mo better.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I'm waiting for the soap-in-the-sock beatings to start taking place. The good guys must be pretty sick and tired of this crap.

Amen. I deal with LEO everyday and I have yet to meet one resembling 99% of them mentioned online.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    It doesn't sound like this was their first beat down to me. They just went back in the bar and finished their drinks like nothing ever happened. I hope justice gets served on them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Neither can be demoted, they are both patrol officers, and there's no rank lower to be demoted to. I'd be surprised if they aren't offered a plea for a misdemeanor diversion. Most everyone is if there isn't a weapon involved, its not domestic, and there are no priors, unless the injuries are permanent. However I think they'll still be terminated for violation of department policy. Once you badge someone, you're acting in your official capacity. Failing to call for on duty officers to report the incident and to notify a supervisor about the use of force will probably be enough to cost them their badge, even if the criminal charges are reduced.

From what I hear, the bouncer motioned them over because the guy failed to leave. This is a fantastic reason to not go to bars, to not let people know you're a cop if you do go to a bar, and to avoid taking official action off duty unless its something that's worth taking action over, like someone's going to get hurt if you don't. If the allegations are true, they're both done. I know them both and used to work with one of them, who I really like. I don't know if he was drinking that night and how alcohol affects him or what he's normally like off duty, but he's normally a quiet and patient guy on duty. It sucks to throw that many years toward a pension away, but actions have consequences and (again assuming allegations are true) that was way over the line.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Not saying this mentality or behavior is anything but a very small percentage. The thing that seems to be the status quo is cops getting light punishments and keeping their job, albeit at a reduced rank and suspension while getting probation for their crime.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Neither can be demoted, they are both patrol officers, and there's no rank lower to be demoted to. I'd be surprised if they aren't offered a plea for a misdemeanor diversion. Most everyone is if there isn't a weapon involved, its not domestic, and there are no priors, unless the injuries are permanent. However I think they'll still be terminated for violation of department policy. Once you badge someone, you're acting in your official capacity. Failing to call for on duty officers to report the incident and to notify a supervisor about the use of force will probably be enough to cost them their badge, even if the criminal charges are reduced.

From what I hear, the bouncer motioned them over because the guy failed to leave. This is a fantastic reason to not go to bars, to not let people know you're a cop if you do go to a bar, and to avoid taking official action off duty unless its something that's worth taking action over, like someone's going to get hurt if you don't. If the allegations are true, they're both done. I know them both and used to work with one of them, who I really like. I don't know if he was drinking that night and how alcohol affects him or what he's normally like off duty, but he's normally a quiet and patient guy on duty. It sucks to throw that many years toward a pension away, but actions have consequences and (again assuming allegations are true) that was way over the line.

All great points. Never drink where staff can attempt to have you act in an officer capacity when alcohol is involved.

We'll see how this plays out and if your prediction is correct. Most of us don't know all the specific policies that are broken in a situation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    NThe thing that seems to be the status quo is cops getting light punishments and keeping their job, albeit at a reduced rank and suspension while getting probation for their crime.

Most first time offenders for low level felonies and misdemeanors get probation, you just don't hear about it unless its a celebrity or high profile case because its so common its not news. At least in Marion Co, I'm told other places play by different rules, but I can only speak to my own experiences. A "D" felony under the old system usually got you time served (whatever you spent at APC before bonding out, normally) and then the remainder of 365 days on probation (reporting or non-reporting) and some community service. Maybe a fine if you weren't indigent (almost everyone is indigent when they are in a court room) and probation fees.

The relevant IC code giving prosecutors the authority to do so is here:
    Ind. Code § 33-39-1-8 : Indiana Code - Section 33-39-1-8: Withholding of prosecution; applicability grounds; conditions; notification

And to convert "D" felonies to "A" misdemeanors here:
    Ind. Code § 35-38-1-1.5 : Indiana Code - Section 35-38-1-1.5: Converting Class D felony to Class A misdemeanor

I know that's the old code and we're on 1-6 felonies now, not A-D, but I don't think the diverson/deferral has changed. I don't see it much any longer because the crimes I investigate are too high level to be eligible, but when I was on the street I saw the "D" felony to "A" misdemeanor all the time for people who were employed, had no history, etc.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well this sucks! As soon as he pulled the badge he put himself on duty (as the chief said).
    It sucks if these guys were good officers but every choice we all make can affect the rest of your life. I don't drink anymore. I can't stand drunks. Do to know if they were buzzed or not but it changes people. Some better (funny) some bad.
    i don't like a bully period. I especially don't like a bully who uses any type of authority in order to be a bully.
    if these allegations are true I hope they are fired and are charged criminally.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So the victim was being a dick. The bouncer seeks the assistance of two officers. They show a badge and ask him to leave. He grabs the badge and throws it. Then an altercation commences where the two officers kick the guys ass. They may or may not have gone too far in giving the ass whipping, probably did. The victim calls PoPo inquiring about his sunglasses. Not something one would expect for having such grievous wounds that are being reported. The officers are now facing criminal charges and possible loss of their jobs... what is it I am supposed to be upset about exactly?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    They tried to tin him and he threw the badge on the ground, that's funny. Not sure he thought so though after the epic contempt of cop beatdown, complete with footprint to the face curbstomp and "chokehold" all rolled into one incident.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    While sad to see, I don't myself see it as a negative on IMPD as a whole. No coverup that I know of, both of them arrested and charged with a felony and one with an additional (I believe) misd.

Can they get a diversion on a felony? At least without the prosecutor amending the charge to a misd first? According to the article they have both been charged with a felony. Converting to a misd yes, but diversion?

And I have no idea how promotions work in IMPD but is it normal for an officer to remain a patrol officer for 15-16 years?

Not saying this mentality or behavior is anything but a very small percentage. The thing that seems to be the status quo is cops getting light punishments and keeping their job, albeit at a reduced rank and suspension while getting probation for their crime.

I'd say it depends on the county, light punishments are the norm for most in some counties. I know Lake Co, for OWI it used to be plead guilty to reckless, time served(and additional time suspended), court costs and 1 yr probation. Check deception was pled down to conversion and the same. That was the norm. Porter Co, was plead guilty to OWI, 1 yr probation, court costs/fine, and weekends in jail. And the weekends were if you had a job. Misd possession the same or diversion/deferred in both counties. Where White Co. it depended frequently included jail time or hefty fine. I had a chance to sit in court in Hammond back in the 80's, most misd were no plea agreement, just plead guilty and the judge sentenced them to time served, court costs, no probation.

Most first time offenders for low level felonies and misdemeanors get probation, you just don't hear about it unless its a celebrity or high profile case because its so common its not news. At least in Marion Co, I'm told other places play by different rules, but I can only speak to my own experiences. A "D" felony under the old system usually got you time served (whatever you spent at APC before bonding out, normally) and then the remainder of 365 days on probation (reporting or non-reporting) and some community service. Maybe a fine if you weren't indigent (almost everyone is indigent when they are in a court room) and probation fees.

Yep from knowing people who have went through court in several counties it varies.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    While sad to see, I don't myself see it as a negative on IMPD as a whole. No coverup that I know of, both of them arrested and charged with a felony and one with an additional (I believe) misd.

Not a negative on IMPD as long as they're actually fired.

I'm sure the guy was worthy of tossed from the bar, but any cop that flashes a badge while off duty to intimidate someone deserves to get told to GFY as far as I'm concernced.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Nothing good comes from getting drunk in public. I used to hang out with one of the officers when we were kids. I liked him a lot. But if this is proven true, than those two need to be prosecuted, fully. That behavior is in acceptable. Just one of many reasons why I do not drink, ever.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    The guy admits he was a Richard...but for two bullies to beat his ass and choke him out, then drag him outside and continue to rough him up, then calmly walk back and finish their drinks (bought by the fellow they just beat the crap out of) shows that they had nothing to fear because they are cops and more than likely had done it before.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The guy admits he was a Richard...but for two bullies to beat his ass and choke him out, then drag him outside and continue to rough him up, then calmly walk back and finish their drinks (bought by the fellow they just beat the crap out of) shows that they had nothing to fear because they are cops and more than likely had done it before.

Here's another article.
    2 Indianapolis officers charged with bar beating

According to the affidavit, a server at the bar said Reiger approached her once he was back inside after the beating and said, "What happens here, stays here, right?"

Isn't this the sort of police work some were advocating after Officer Renn's murder?

Top Bottom