• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mine too. No problems what so ever. After the factory warranty runs out I will have it customized to my taste but until then Its fine as is.

Hmm....I'll have to wait awhile for my factory warranty to wear out on my Springfield...

I still think I'll do some work to it. De-horn, lose the ambi safety, different sights.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    True, but as long as the load bearing parts are made in the proper manner (not MIM) then I really dont see the problem with MIM parts.

As you likened the 1911 to a Harley, its no different than Harley using plastic parts in some of thier new bikes in none critical areas. It helps keep cost down (although IMHO Harleys are still over priced for what you get, but thats another topic entirely best saved for a new thread) and weight managable for the end user.

Sure you can swap out the parts you dont like for "better" parts, but if its not gonna hurt anything why mess with changing it?

As to the last statement.....I have no idea.

GunsAll004.jpg

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    My vote is the TRP. Take some time and read through this: Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...

I've had several big name 1911s and I love my SA TRP and my Ed Brown Kobra Carry. After $1500 or so you begin to pay for names, special models, and hand crafted parts. It depends what you want out out of your gun and what you plan to do with it. Sure, my Kobra Carry could do just fine in an IDPA or other match, I just don't want to use it for that.

Last edited:

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I have a series 80 Colt and have zero issues with it. I have heard the stories and know they are based on fact but have never seen or experienced any problems with that series. My sons Colt is series 80 as well with zero issues. We shoot the snot out of them.
    I did have to re-stake the spring/detente housing for the slide lock/safety on my Colt and I understand Colt had issues with this in the late 80's early 90's.
    I wasn't suggesting that there would be issues with them. Just that there's a bit more to them and as a person's first 1911, he (or she) may want to stick with the classic. That's all. Heck, I had a series 80 in my collection and didn't even know it. It sat in the safe for a lonnnng time and I finally pulled it out, took it to the range, gave it a good workout (it fired fine), then broke it down to find out that it was an 80.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wasn't suggesting that there would be issues with them. Just that there's a bit more to them and as a person's first 1911, he (or she) may want to stick with the classic. That's all. Heck, I had a series 80 in my collection and didn't even know it. It sat in the safe for a lonnnng time and I finally pulled it out, took it to the range, gave it a good workout (it fired fine), then broke it down to find out that it was an 80.

Never thought you were inferring to that. I get the stories from a few nutty friends that are hooked on the 70 series Colt just because. Not jabbing them but my Stainless 80 series runs as well or better and will drive tacks. They are all good in their own way.
    Do not let them languish in the dark in the safe. Get them out for a run.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    As to the last statement.....I have no idea.

GunsAll004.jpg

Just blowing a HD biker some crap CM. No worries buddy!

NICE BTW! :yesway:

Honestly I envy you guys that can do your own work. Im lacking the skill and at the moment I dont have the time to learn. Maybe in a few years when life calms down for a bit and I can slow down then Ill start tinkering with them. But until then I have to use the warranty or call the gunsmith.

I do love a nicely done custom work of "preformace art"!

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Why would you have to break it down to find that out? You can just look under the slide while it's locked back...
    It's a gun I picked up for a good price and wasn't a planned purchase. The circumstances were just right. If I recall, it was a holiday sale or something like that. I didn't even give it any thought and it must have sat in the safe for 9 months or more before I even took it out of the case. It's obviously not my EDC.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    Originally posted by rockhopper46038
    EDIT: There is probably a professional metallurgist somewhere on this site that will take exception to my simplification of the processes described above. I've got good familiarity with each of them and have designed parts for forging, MIM, casting, die-casting, blow-molding, roto-molding, structural foam molding, machining and a number of other manufacturing processes, but each application must be assessed individually for a large variety of factors and it is easy for multiple experienced people to come to differing conclusions based on their evaluation of the relative importance of these and other factors. What I posted above is a very simplistic description of a very complex design process.

I take exception to your exception, that was a a fine synopsis. I work for a defense contractor as an inspector (mechanical) and encounter these parts almost daily. They are rigorously tested and must pass the same regime as a billet machined or investment cast part.

In my humble opinion the 1911 is a platform for creating whatever you like, so I would start with well made components, Ruger, Remington and Colt, in no particular order.
    :twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Camhickey
    Top Bottom