• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    20160613_124432_zps3dkmbfid.jpg

Got my first 1911 today, been craving one ever since the first time I fired one 2 months ago. Got one heck of a deal and couldn't pass this guy up.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Here's a project I recently finished. Last fall, before my nephew was deployed, I asked him to drop his 1911 off with me and I'd tweak it a bit while he was gone. Here's what he dropped off:

Here's what he got when he returned:

While he was deployed, I stripped the gun, bead blasted the frame and then fit a Swenson beaver tail grip safety. Swenson is one of the few manufacturers that sell a grip safety that fits the .220 radius on the Springers instead of the more common .250 radius tangs found on most other pistols. It was a good piece and I would not have second thoughts of fitting one again. After the grip safety was fit, I sent it off to AllenM for Novak sight cuts and Cerakote. When Churchmouse heard that I was building the gun for a deployed soldier, he asked to help and pitched the MSH in. That is the perfect piece since my nephew mainly carries Glocks with his unit and this MSH pushes the barrel up a bit to help it point more comfortably for him. Internally, the stock parts were replaced except for the barrel and slide stop. I used an EGW ignition kit along with a Wilson BP ambi thumb safety (he's a lefty). I also fit an EGW FLGR with flat wire spring kit. The sights are TFOs and the trigger came out of my parts box, but I don't remember the make. The Grips are VZs over Pierce finger grooves and as luck would have it, they match the Yarborough knife he was issued almost perfectly. I had Wendall at Indy Laser Engraving do the engraving of the logo and initals. If you need laser engraving done, I'd highly recommend going to Wendall. He's great to work with and is more than reasonable in pricing.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Here's a project I recently finished. Last fall, before my nephew was deployed, I asked him to drop his 1911 off with me and I'd tweak it a bit while he was gone. Here's what he dropped off:

Here's what he got when he returned:

While he was deployed, I stripped the gun, bead blasted the frame and then fit a Swenson beaver tail grip safety. Swenson is one of the few manufacturers that sell a grip safety that fits the .220 radius on the Springers instead of the more common .250 radius tangs found on most other pistols. It was a good piece and I would not have second thoughts of fitting one again. After the grip safety was fit, I sent it off to AllenM for Novak sight cuts and Cerakote. When Churchmouse heard that I was building the gun for a deployed soldier, he asked to help and pitched the MSH in. That is the perfect piece since my nephew mainly carries Glocks with his unit and this MSH pushes the barrel up a bit to help it point more comfortably for him. Internally, the stock parts were replaced except for the barrel and slide stop. I used an EGW ignition kit along with a Wilson BP ambi thumb safety (he's a lefty). I also fit an EGW FLGR with flat wire spring kit. The sights are TFOs and the trigger came out of my parts box, but I don't remember the make. The Grips are VZs over Pierce finger grooves and as luck would have it, they match the Yarborough knife he was issued almost perfectly. I had Wendall at Indy Laser Engraving do the engraving of the logo and initals. If you need laser engraving done, I'd highly recommend going to Wendall. He's great to work with and is more than reasonable in pricing.
    That 1911 is beautiful!psyko

Top Bottom