• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I recently got bit by the 1911 bug and have narrowed it down to a couple options, should I get a rock island for fairly cheap or spend a bit more and get a Springfield gi stainless, or is there another option u would advise in the $600 and under range of price

SundayShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Hancock County
    I have the Springfield GI Stainless and it is a nice piece. The Taurus PT1911's have a lot of custom features for a decent price. Several finishes to choose from, including stainless.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Springfield. I'm not sure of the price point on the Taurus stainless 1911.

I don't know about the stainless version specifically, but I have a blued Taurus 1911. I got it used for $500; it was in great condition and had less than 1,000 rounds fired. I believe you can get new ones for $600 or under.

I haven't found anything wrong with my Taurus, so I can personally recommend it for the OP's price range. Some may argue, though, that the OP might be better served to spend a little more for a more expensive model such as a Springfield or a Kimber. Since I've not tried any of those, I can't say they're wrong; I just know my Taurus works great and didn't cost as much.

Either way, welcome to the 1911 crowd!

dman65

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Last edited:

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I know I will take a beeting on this from all of the hard core 1911 people out there but I have had real good luck with these. for the money you just cant beat them. they are hard to find but well worth it. 450.00 new

I saw one of those at a local pawn shop. Seemed pretty nice, actually.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    CHeck out the Para-Ordnance GI Expert for something else in that price range. The enhanced model comes out of the box with a fiber optic front sight. I had one (sold it before I shot it though to fund a nicer 1911) and it locked up nice, was fitted well for the price. It was the basic GI Expert model, not the enhanced one with beavertail grip and FO sights. Their website says $700 MSRP but I'm sure you could find it for less.

But if nifty sights aren't a necessity, I'd encourage you to go with the SA milspec models. They are quite nice for the $$$ but are basic, no frills guns.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I would personally get something that will allow for you to change the sights, the basic model 1911's are not very easy to get the sights changed as there is usually no dovetail to make it happen.

Like someone else said the Para Gi expert seems to be a good deal for the money and the features offered.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I also have an American Classic. Picked it up at the Indy 1500 gun show earlier this year or late last year (I forget right off hand) Anyways I bargained with the guy and got the price of it down to 390.00 plus tax. I did end up picking up different grips (double diamond checkered all black) and a full guide rod instead of the little pos the gun comes with... other then that it has been a great gun... very cost effective.

Top Bottom