• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Does anyone have experience with .17 cal guns? I've never known anyone who had one yet I see ammo for sale in the stores. I know they make handguns and long guns in that cal. Can they be shot at indoor ranges? Do they use them mostly for varmit shooting?:dunno:

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    varmints, yes. i wouldnt shoot at anything larger than a raccoon with a .17, personally. very fun to shoot, hella accurate, and almost no recoil.

are you looking at .17hmr, or .17mach2 by chance?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    .17 rimfires, etc.

I use a lot of .17 HMR killing paper (outdoor) and prairie dogs. I have bolt action rifles, a bolt action pistol, a revolver, single shot rifles, and a semi-auto rifle chambered in HMR. Brands include Ruger, Savage, Marlin, CZ, TC, and Anschutz. It's obviously an inherently accurate round as it has shot very well for me in all the above, and I ain't that good. I have three .17 HM2 (or Mach II) rifles. They also shoot very well.

I have no .17 centerfires but several of my fellow prairie doggers use .17 Mach IV and/or .17 Rem with great success.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    .17 mach 2 ammo is WAY cheaper that regular .17 HMR. Wish I would have looked at that before buying, but otherwise I love my Savage. Will turn most birds into a puff of feathers. Kinda cool.:rockwoot:

keyser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    I have a 17hmr. I haven't shot a coyote with it yet and don't know if I'd even attempt it unless it walked in my backyard, but I shot a coon with it last fall and it did the trick. I'm used to having to shoot coons several times in the head with a .22 to get the job done, and the coon I shot didn't move after he was hit with the .17. It is a great flat shooting round, I'd like to give .17mach2 a try to see how they compare. And yes they can be shot in most of the indoor ranges.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom