• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I received the following email from the Campus Police of Ball State University. Feel free to send them your regards.
    State University Civilian Basic Firearms Training Class

Ball State University Police Department cordially invites you to participate in
    a free, two

- day Handgun Safety Training session offered to employees
    of Ball State University. The purpose of this training is to share information
    about:

How firearms operate.

The mechanical features of any
    firearm you intend to use.

Making personal decisions about your own
    safety and family safety.

The Safety and secure storage of your
    firearm.

The training will be held at Ball State University
    Police Department,

located at 200 North McKinley Avenue and the Muncie
    FOP Shooting

Range.

The training dates are: Saturday and
    Sunday, June 30 - July 1,

2012, from 7am -3pm (both days) with a 1 hour
    lunch. Please fill out the

following information for registration.
    Please return this information by June

16, 2012 by email to
    mbaker@bsu.edu or by fax @ 765-285-8148 to Ball State

Police
    Department. The classes will be limited. For more information contact

Corporal Baker at mbaker@bsu.edu or 765-285-3009.

BALL
    STATE UNIVERSITY POLICE DEPARTMENT
    It is not perfect, nor does it teach how to shoot, but the attitude is much, much more positive than I would have expected. I appreciate the openess about it rather than simply taking a hostile stance towards civilians having handguns.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd be worried about liability. The first person that took this class and is involved in a "bad" shoot, look to see if BSU isn't named on the "defendant" line.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I'm just curious about the motive for the class. My daughter is a student at Ball State and I am well aware of the University policy on firearms. I always got the impression that Ball State is anti-gun in their attitude. This seems odd to me.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Ball State police get NO support from me for any scam they might be running. Spent lots of cash on a local crooked lawyer that seemed to be part of their scams. End of rant and end of explanation.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I was under the impression that this class was going to be offered to Ball State students and Staff.

Ball State Campus police seemed to be the most willing to talk to someone about guns.. and in a positive way.

As a college student I have called a number of campus police departments.. I rather enjoyed the conversation that I had with them.

But this is a positive step forward.. I would be very shocked if there isn't a mass email to students this fall. This is probably a trial and error.

I doubt that this is to weed out professors or staff. Ball State facility are pretty much the lowest paid out of all Indiana 4 year institutions. And would probably be welcomed at other colleges with welcome arms.. or in their respected fields..

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    There will be range time for half of each day.

The plan currently is to open this to both employees and students if everything goes okay with this class.

Last edited:

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    There will be range time for half of each day.

The plan currently is to open this to both employees and students if everything goes okay with this class.

Probably working out the quirks of the class. Using staff as the guinea pigs and take a survey maybe to add more to it etc..

Is my speculations just glad to hear they are moving forward as planned and told.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Probably working out the quirks of the class. Using staff as the guinea pigs and take a survey maybe to add more to it etc..

Is my speculations just glad to hear they are moving forward as planned and told.

Hopefully they will have a good enough turn out and interest to present the class once or twice a semester.

I was able to pass along a lot of information and materials to the people who are organizing the class, and it looks like they took some of my suggestions. I haven't seen the outline yet, but I am hoping to get access to it in the next few days to see what they've come up with.

Regardless, this is a massive step in the right direction. Hopefully it will spread to other universities.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Hopefully they will have a good enough turn out to make a habit of presenting this class.

I was able to pass along a lot of information and materials to the people who are organizing the class, and it looks like they took some of my suggestions. I haven't seen the outline yet, but I am hoping to get access to it in the next few days to see what they've come up with.

Regardless, this is a massive step in the right direction. Hopefully it will spread to other universities.

Wow. So they are actually going to let staff shoot guns too?

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I was under the impression that this class was going to be offered to Ball State students and Staff.

Ball State Campus police seemed to be the most willing to talk to someone about guns.. and in a positive way.

As a college student I have called a number of campus police departments.. I rather enjoyed the conversation that I had with them.

But this is a positive step forward.. I would be very shocked if there isn't a mass email to students this fall. This is probably a trial and error.

I doubt that this is to weed out professors or staff. Ball State facility are pretty much the lowest paid out of all Indiana 4 year institutions. And would probably be welcomed at other colleges with welcome arms.. or in their respected fields..

My biggest question here is the red word, really? Yet, since no student is allowed to have a firearm...

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I'm still really surprised by this whole thing. I hope they do offer it to students. If so, I will encourage my daughter to attend. I have instructed her in firearms safety, handling and shooting. However, she has never attended a "formal" class. I still would like to know what prompted this, though.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom