• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My take on the whole Zombie [insert anything here] accessories...

It's fun. And if you enjoy zombie movies, it makes it that much more interesting...
    And my biggest point to take... I own many things that just might be relevant to zombie apocalyptic matter
    that will benefit my being if S were to ever HTF and am forced to bug out into survival mode.

Yes, that means Tactical bacon, too. :rockwoot:

:+1: Some stuff is just for taking to the range and enjoying. Not everything has to be for home defense.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    My take on the "zombie apocalypse" theme/fad... (coming from a guy who is new to this whole gun ownership/hobby world as well as the weird Zombie gear I am finding all over the place as I scour the interwebs for gun stuff)

I think a lot of gun owners... especially the ones that choose to purchase ultra tactical gear do it for a few reasons on the surface. (zombies asides for a second)

We like Tactical Gear/Guns/Training because:

a) Its fun, exhilarating, empowering etc...
    b) It has a practical value just in case SHTF​

While owning a suppressed tommy gun for Home Defense might be overkill, it sure beats the alternative of being outmatched should some bad guy break into your window.

Beyond Home/Personal Defense... in the back of our heads, a lot of us (whether you consider us paranoid or not) feel that a LARGE scale SHTF scenario, while minute, is a possibility and being prepared could be the difference between surviving or dying afraid should the small chance that something like this happens.

I'm new here... and a new gun owner to boot. But before I purchased my first gun, I have always contemplated SHTF scenarios and what the world would turn into and while its easy to make light of, things could get ugly quick should a series of bad events happen in a short period of time. I think New Orleans showed how quickly chaos can ensue over a few days time.

A couple of days ago, I was gonna open a thread that asked... "If SHTF (in the worst way)... how grimey are you prepared to get?" "At what moral line are you willing to walk should the world around you start to crumble?"

I didn't make the thread because I'm still new... and inside me, I'm not sure I want to reveal just how grimey I might be willing to get given the worst circumstances.

... and I think a lot of people feel the same way.

...and I think that is why this "Zombie Theme" is an easy theme to roll with.

If SHTF... its a lot more comfortable to de-humanize the possibilities because simply, it would be much easier to think about shooting zombies in the face than real human beings. I'd rather think about something bad like zombies in a SHTF scenario when I am thinking about what uses my AR-15 can be handy for. Definitely easier to swallow than thinking about how it might be practical in a real life scenario... and how I would have to decide whether I would want to use it to save an unarmed family from being beaten and raped to death by a small gang of street thugs... or would I be better off turning a blind eye and pretend I don't see it happen as I am escaping the city.....

just a thought.... I think the Zombie twist is a nice way to deal with thinking about the end of the world. Training for either scenario (whether Zombies or real life) can be exactly the same. (unless you subscribe to the need to shoot zombies in the head. I don't... my zombies die when I shoot them in the chest and they also run when I shoot a warning shot over their head ;) )

For the record... I hate Zombie movies, but I like zombie gear :D The reticle is cool... but I also don't care for the biohazard symbol on the top of it. It makes it look cheap....

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    My take on the "zombie apocalypse" theme/fad... (coming from a guy who is new to this whole gun ownership/hobby world as well as the weird Zombie gear I am finding all over the place as I scour the interwebs for gun stuff)

I think a lot of gun owners... especially the ones that choose to purchase ultra tactical gear do it for a few reasons on the surface. (zombies asides for a second)

We like Tactical Gear/Guns/Training because:
    a) Its fun, exhilarating, empowering etc...
    b) It has a practical value just in case SHTF​
    While owning a suppressed tommy gun for Home Defense might be overkill, it sure beats the alternative of being outmatched should some bad guy break into your window.

Beyond Home/Personal Defense... in the back of our heads, a lot of us (whether you consider us paranoid or not) feel that a LARGE scale SHTF scenario, while minute, is a possibility and being prepared could be the difference between surviving or dying afraid should the small chance that something like this happens.

I'm new here... and a new gun owner to boot. But before I purchased my first gun, I have always contemplated SHTF scenarios and what the world would turn into and while its easy to make light of, things could get ugly quick should a series of bad events happen in a short period of time. I think New Orleans showed how quickly chaos can ensue over a few days time.

A couple of days ago, I was gonna open a thread that asked... "If SHTF (in the worst way)... how grimey are you prepared to get?" "At what moral line are you willing to walk should the world around you start to crumble?"

I didn't make the thread because I'm still new... and inside me, I'm not sure I want to reveal just how grimey I might be willing to get given the worst circumstances.

... and I think a lot of people feel the same way.

...and I think that is why this "Zombie Theme" is an easy theme to roll with.

If SHTF... its a lot more comfortable to de-humanize the possibilities because simply, it would be much easier to think about shooting zombies in the face than real human beings. I'd rather think about something bad like zombies in a SHTF scenario when I am thinking about what uses my AR-15 can be handy for. Definitely easier to swallow than thinking about how it might be practical in a real life scenario... and how I would have to decide whether I would want to use it to save an unarmed family from being beaten and raped to death by a small gang of street thugs... or would I be better off turning a blind eye and pretend I don't see it happen as I am escaping the city.....

just a thought.... I think the Zombie twist is a nice way to deal with thinking about the end of the world. Training for either scenario (whether Zombies or real life) can be exactly the same. (unless you subscribe to the need to shoot zombies in the head. I don't... my zombies die when I shoot them in the chest and they also run when I shoot a warning shot over their head ;) )

For the record... I hate Zombie movies, but I like zombie gear :D The reticle is cool... but I also don't care for the biohazard symbol on the top of it. It makes it look cheap....

Very nicely written... as for how grimy you'd be willing to get... post away, no one will do more than flame you... and, after all this is still just an Interwebz forum! :D

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Very nicely written... as for how grimy you'd be willing to get... post away, no one will do more than flame you... and, after all this is still just an Interwebz forum! :D

Speaking of which, I need to remember how to do a shotgun shell tripwire...

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Personally im not a fan of EoTech but if aimpoint made one thats a different story....
    still i thinks its a little big but i do like the sight

SmallTownGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Roanoke
    I don't think anybody should have to get to bent out of shape about this, I mean its an option among many that can be selected. Don't like it then don't buy it, the zombie theme may be gimmicky and quickly growing but if it helps a company out then fantastic. Gimmicks uplift little companies, granted EoTech is huge, so it lets anybody hop on the badwagon. Personally I think the reticle is sick, not sure of the price but it looks nifty.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    I think its pretty cool. But I would NOT want to look at that reticle all the time. If I could switch back and forth between that and a regular red dot, I would be more likely to buy it.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Personally, I've thought of doing the whole zombie AR build, and that would fit perfectly. I wouldn't do it as a "zombie defense" weapon, just a range toy that, as was mentioned, doubles for a SHTF weapon. While I don't believe TEOTWAWKI will happen in my lifetime it never hurts to be prepared. That would be a perfect addition to that type of firearm. I've heard that it is priced near, if not exactly, the same price as a standard EO Tech.

BiggEarl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Cory, IN
    Ya im almost positive its the same price. So who is really considering getting one now.. if I had the hun for it I would be all over that. But I still gotya build my AR yet... Soo expensive

BiggEarl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Cory, IN
    Maybe I could put one on my 357 mag.
    357mag.jpg

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Well I got one. Was only 20 bucks more than the non zombie reticle so i thought why not. I love it. took only about 6 shots to get it dialed in.

Top Bottom