• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I was looking at the Zero Tolerance knives and was wondering something about the folders. Why is there such a price difference between the 0200 and the 0300 models? There is a drastic difference is why I ask and have never really looked at them to much until recently. I know that some models such as the 0300 are assisted openers but I don't understand the big difference in price from the 0300 to the 0350 in that case. Any help would be appreciated!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The big difference between the 0300 and the rest of the ZT models is the 0300 has an all titanium backside (frame lock) and the rest of the ZT models such as the 0350 (assisted) and 0200 (manual) are liner locks with G-10 handles on both sides. The cost increase/difference is due to the titanium frame lock design.

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The big difference between the 0300 and the rest of the ZT models is the 0300 has an all titanium backside (frame lock) and the rest of the ZT models such as the 0350 (assisted) and 0200 (manual) are liner locks with G-10 handles on both sides. The cost increase/difference is due to the titanium frame lock design.

Well, since you are in the know on these things do you think it is worth the extra money if you were buying one? I never noticed that on the titanium before and that makes complete since with the price of titanium and the difficulty in machining it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I was looking at the Zero Tolerance knives and was wondering something about the folders. Why is there such a price difference between the 0200 and the 0300 models?

As Brad stated, your going from a liner lock to a titanium frame lock. Frame locks are as heavy duty of a locking mechanism as you will find in a folder. IMO, HUGE difference and well worth the extra money.

There is a drastic difference is why I ask and have never really looked at them to much until recently. I know that some models such as the 0300 are assisted openers but I don't understand the big difference in price from the 0300 to the 0350 in that case. Any help would be appreciated!

O300 has a CPMS30 blade where as the 0350 was a limited run using Elmax steel. Elmax is a very high end steel, and much cheaper than S30V.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Well, since you are in the know on these things do you think it is worth the extra money if you were buying one? I never noticed that on the titanium before and that makes complete since with the price of titanium and the difficulty in machining it.

Thanks!

As far as lock up, it would be hard to argue that there is a stronger locking system for folding knives than a frame lock that uses titanium. As far as knives that use titanium. if you look at other companies (Benchmade & Spyderco as an example), that use titanium in certain models, those models tend to cost more than their models that don't. The one thing about the ZT0300 that I have heard from customers and people that own them, is it is a big knife and may not be very pocket friendly....then there are others that say it is big, but once you get use to carrying it, it's not a problem.

As far as spending the extra money for titanium :dunno:. I do, but I'm a knife snob and even though I'll will probably never use any of my titanium knives to the point were the titanium will make a difference in performance.....I like them, so I buy the ones that appeal to me.

Truthfully, for most people, the ZT0350 will be just fine. Your still getting the S30V blade and a knife that tends to be more pocket friendly. The ZT0350 is the number one ZT model as far as sales go, and it's about half the cost of the ZT 0300 model.
    :twocents:

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I was looking at the Zero Tolerance knives and was wondering something about the folders. Why is there such a price difference between the 0200 and the 0300 models?

As Brad stated, your going from a liner lock to a titanium frame lock. Frame locks are as heavy duty of a locking mechanism as you will find in a folder. IMO, HUGE difference and well worth the extra money.

There is a drastic difference is why I ask and have never really looked at them to much until recently. I know that some models such as the 0300 are assisted openers but I don't understand the big difference in price from the 0300 to the 0350 in that case. Any help would be appreciated!

O300 has a CPMS30 blade where as the 0350 was a limited run using Elmax steel. Elmax is a very high end steel, and much cheaper than S30V.

First, the physical size of the 0300 already dictates that a
    lot more material (blade, frame, handle...etc.) is going to used when making this knife over the 0350 model. Then you throw in the fact that the whole back side is titanium and has a frame lock. Titanium is considerably more expensive than stainless liners that have a G-10 handles on them (which is what the 0350 model uses), plus the added expense of having to work/manufacture titanium. A frame lock is going to have more manufacturing processes and parts (additional cost) than a liner lock. Those two things is what drives the cost increase over a standard liner lock type knife.

BTW: The standard 0350 model uses S30V steel for the blade.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, 0350 standard is S30V, but it WAS also avilable in: Elmax (0350CB), ZDP-189 (0350CBZDP - laminated, and 0350ZDP - solid blade).

there might be more, but these are the ones I know off the top of my head.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    As far as lock up, it would be hard to argue that there is a stronger locking system for folding knives than a frame lock that uses titanium. As far as knives that use titanium. if you look at other companies (Benchmade & Spyderco as an example), that use titanium in certain models, those models tend to cost more than their models that don't. The one thing about the ZT0300 that I have heard from customers and people that own them, is it is a big knife and may not be very pocket friendly....then there are others that say it is big, but once you get use to carrying it, it's not a problem.

As far as spending the extra money for titanium :dunno:. I do, but I'm a knife snob and even though I'll will probably never use any of my titanium knives to the point were the titanium will make a difference in performance.....I like them, so I buy the ones that appeal to me.

Truthfully, for most people, the ZT0350 will be just fine. Your still getting the S30V blade and a knife that tends to be more pocket friendly. The ZT0350 is the number one ZT model as far as sales go, and it's about half the cost of the ZT 0300 model.
    :twocents:

Yes you are a knife snob as you have shown me a few that make me say "thats worth how much:n00b:" and then I move down to the $50 knives. I like the looks of the zero tolerance and they feel nice to hold but honestly I really don't know if it will be comfortable to carry. I may just look at getting a manix or two for the price. However, that 0350 really is looking better and better.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have the ZT 350 Elmax and its a tank as for an EDC I used to carry it and since have switched from it to a Spyderco Military
    350cb5.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I carry an 0350 every day, and have for a couple of years now. In fact I occasionally carry an 0301, and you really don't notice it after a few minutes.

bgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Another reason the 0300 models are more expensive, other than the previously stated ones, is the 3-D machining to the G10 side as well as the Titanium side. I carry the 0350 quite often. I don't mind a bigger knife, like the 0300, and agree that after a few minutes, I forget it's even there. However, I still tend to carry a smaller more EDC friendly blade when I choose bigger steel to lug around.

Top Bottom