• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve09

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Mooresville
    Any particulars on Yugo SKS that I should know before I purchase one? All numbers seem to match (even on the stock). One abnormal thing is that it takes a magazine and doesnt have the typical trap door. Is this normal? Does it take standard ak mags or are there specific sks mags? Any help would be appreciated.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If it is truly a Yugo SKS, then it will take SKS mags, not AK mags. They look a lot like AK mags, but have a much longer front lip. The only ones that take AK mags are certain Norinco (Chinese) models.

Very good pair of videos on what to look for:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZmSpfRVGUE]YouTube - what to look for when buying a sks pt 1[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMdsnblN9BE]YouTube - what to look for when buying a sks pt 2[/ame]

Steve09

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Mooresville
    Thanks for the video link that explained alot. Do you have an idea on what a good buy would be for a good condition rifle like the one shown on the video. The one I am looking at does not include the magazine, I am sure they can be found at the local gun shop.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Thanks for the video link that explained alot. Do you have an idea on what a good buy would be for a good condition rifle like the one shown on the video. The one I am looking at does not include the magazine, I am sure they can be found at the local gun shop.

indy 1500 gun show in 2 weeks, best deals can be found there.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Wow. I wouldn't have known it if you hadn't pointed it out. The SKS videos are actually pretty good and I learned a lot from them that I've confirmed from other reading and now owning an SKS. :dunno:

If anyone can find any serious problems with the videos above, PM me and I'll yank the links above so as not to mislead anyone else.

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    $250 seems to be a reasonable price for a complete Yugo that looks pretty pristine. One that is missing components? $200-$225.

What are they asking?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I just couldn't list the big old plastic one. ;) The beauty of an SKS, for me, is as original. Those tapco abortions just kill me.

Pudly is right, though. If you plan to tacticool it anyway, no reason to go original with the fixed mag. (Though many find the original incarnation to be faaaaaaar more reliable that the plastic-tacticool-stocks with big duckbill mags.)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sure- I pointed to the Tapcos because they were the highest rated on MidwayUSA. If you have a plastic stock, then these make more sense. If you have the original wood, then the original box magazine or a metal replacement is more likely.

Steve09

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Mooresville
    I think I will go ahead and buy it today, I let you know a little more about it later. I bought and arisaka from him a couple weeks ago and that has been a fun research project, although I have come to a complete stop on it. If those old things could talk it would be much easier!

Steve09

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Mooresville
    Just picked up the sks. Its seems to be in really good shape. Seems that all the numbers match. The wood on the upper hand guard is a different color, also the numbers on it are different.

Top Bottom