• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's all a big lefty conspiracy. Only guns and conservatives are being targeted.

YouTube's Restricted Mode Is Hiding Some LGBT Content [Update]

Unless you're a liberal, and YouTube is restricting channels focusing on LGBT issues.

Where's LeadEye with his "always follow the money"?

Youtube hasn't always paid for content. It might be interesting for some of you to take a look at the history of how users started to make money, how the program expanded, etc. I *think* it was when Google bought it that some uploaders started to get paid.

The Restricted Mode issue is also separate from the demonetization issue. I'll re-visit this thread soon with a larger explanation when I have time... but the Restricted Mode, Gun channel thing, and advertiser problem... are mostly separate.

Google/YouTube may be complicit, but they also may be entirely incompetent. They shouldn't be assumed to be the enemy here. There are some big powers outside of Google that have a major influence on what's happening.

At least one part of it is definitely about the money, and the dying old media launching attacks at new, influential people.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What is this restricted mode?
    Is it like parental control where videos with "bad words", nudity and such are not visible to a certain type of audience?
    Is it something people can turn on and off and still have access to all the videos they want?

I've seen youtubers complain that most of their videos are now "restricted" but I have no idea what it means. :dunno:

I guess if your videos are now restricted then they can't get moneytized?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This is a fantastic opportunity for some software coders to put together a scalable video site that can monitize, push notify cell phones, integrate into social media, etc... It sounds like Full30 isn't ready to do this yet. There will be something soon I bet.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What is this restricted mode?
    Is it like parental control where videos with "bad words", nudity and such are not visible to a certain type of audience?
    Is it something people can turn on and off and still have access to all the videos they want?

I've seen youtubers complain that most of their videos are now "restricted" but I have no idea what it means. :dunno:

I guess if your videos are now restricted then they can't get moneytized?

You have to sign in and confirm you're over 18, IIRC. Ordinarily you can just view a video without an account or signing in. Without an account, you can't view it. Parents, employers, schools, etc. can also activate it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Why is this so hard to understand? It is about money. Youtube is under fire lately from the companies that advertise with them, and they have to please those companies. I imagine at some point Youtube will break advertising into categories and let those advertisers choose their target audience.
    YouTube Ad Boycott Could Cost Google $750M, Say Analysts | Fortune.com

FWIW, this advertising boycott is entirely synthetic, and it comes courtesy of the legacy media, especially the Wall Street Journal's hitmen disguised as journalists, eager to make false stories about "Nazis" and "bigots" in an effort to prevent the advertising dollar that the WSJ and others are losing out on from shrinking even further.
    IOW, follow the money.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    What I find funny is when I watch gun videos, there are no ads. If I click on a non-gun video I get ads for Primary Arms. That's a special double standard.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    More about this from The Firearm Blog: BREAKING: YouTube Gun Channels In Danger Of Disappearing Forever - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

"It appears that all gun related videos on YouTube have been flagged as restricted material. That means that either YouTube’s algorithm or users have flagged them as inappropriate for one reason or another. Once a video is flagged it is no longer eligible for monetization."

So who should we be flagging as inappropriate? So as to level the playing field.
    Don't complain life is unfair. Get busy and fight dirty.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    MAC posted an update on his channel, seems its hit him pretty hard. Glad to see him taking other measures to continue with what he doing with his channel...

[video=youtube;YXOQ9BvT7iA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXOQ9BvT7iA&t=0s[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    From IV8888

(This is a response to someone who asked about this whole Youtube/Gun channel fiasco...which by the why is completely fabricated non-sense)

I'm likely not going to make a gripe about it because I don't want to add to the hysteria for no reason. YouTube is currently undergoing a series of algorithm changes as well as some housekeeping on the back end of the platform. Some (actually it's EVERYBODY) content creators are seeing drastic decreases in the amount of ads that are being served, as well as the quality of ads. The official response I got from YouTube is that it's going to take them a few weeks to fully debug and implement all the changes. I understand everyone's concern. Here's a short list of what youtube is trying to accomplish:

1. Prevent larger channels from being copy-catted as well as prevents their videos from being re uploaded, which can cause copyright as well as community guideline issues for the original channel

2. Enforce the community guidelines they have always had all along, which doesn't apply to us specifically, but WILL apply to many channels that produce certain types of content (yes pewdiepie cusses like a sailor so many of his videos were demonetized) (videos of 14 year old girls twerking won't be monetized...lol)

3. Add more in depth tools for advertisers so they know exactly what type of content their ads are served against. They will help content creators in the long run

4. They are taking a strict stand on hate speech and I can't blame them for that. YouTube is a place where people can share their little world with everyone, but you have to use some common sense too.

5. Recently many channels lost monetization on a score of videos when YouTube flipped the switch on a series of extreme algorithm changes to target the "hate speech/terror" related stuff. In doing so they painted some channels with a broad stroke of that brush. To combat this, they have fixed their manual review system so if a content creator has an issue they can simply request a manual review which fixes 90 percent of all affected cases

6. They now have a "restricted mode" the end user can turn on, which filters out all content that might be considered adult only or questionable for kids.

I hope this response is sufficient. Yes we are all worried about it a bit. It's things like the man cans we sell that allow us to be transparent in times like these, and I thank every person that supports my channel and my family.

Just like the Hummingbird algorithm change, this one will also have some growing pains and everyone is going to feel the pinch while YouTube makes up and plays nice with some of their bigger advertisers. For people to spread completely false rumors that actually HURT us in the long run is a childish and foolish action and is not helping ANYONE.

Our content will resume as planned and at the normal frequency of uploading. Thank you for the support.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Good on him for not feeding into the hysteria, and explaining it simply.

Though there's certainly more behind it, this is what's essentially happening on the surface.

Not a fan of the "hate speech" portion, as that is left up to who to decide?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well, Eric (IV8888) certainly has credibility on this issue.
    Let's hope that they get this sorted out equitably and effectively.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good on him for not feeding into the hysteria, and explaining it simply.

Though there's certainly more behind it, this is what's essentially happening on the surface.

Not a fan of the "hate speech" portion, as that is left up to who to decide?

Who decides it here? The owners and their representatives.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Although Google/Youtube are free to run their businesses as they see fit, aren't they providing a service to other businesses? This seems similar to me of banks refusing to do business with gun related businesses. I thought there were federal commerce protections in place against this kind of practice.

GlockLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Pittsboro
    MAC posted an update on his channel, seems its hit him pretty hard. Glad to see him taking other measures to continue with what he doing with his channel...

[video=youtube;YXOQ9BvT7iA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXOQ9BvT7iA&t=0s[/video]
    I signed up. Great guy with a great channel.

Top Bottom