Youth Season: Who's taking a kid hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Best of luck to him Hammer...Nothing better than doing something that you love with someone that you love..

I am "taking" 14 kids out this weekend. Going to house, feed them and their mentors from Friday evening through Sunday. We will have fun and games contests with prizes during Saturday lull time. Pretty nice outdoor stuff "goody bag" for each youth hunter. Everyone gets a camp shirt and we have caps galore. Hopefully we can put a few deer on the ground too!

This is our 4th year doing this..

2013 Bob Skinner Memorial Youth Hunt | HUNTING INDIANA

SNAGGLE TOOTH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Indy
    My 8 year old daughter wants to go this year and I am fine with it. Even seeing deer together will be an honor and a pleasure for me. She is cool and can sit still and take instruction. I am going to keep it low key and use a crossbow with shooting sticks

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Both of my girls will be out there this weekend. I am noticing that as they get older (12&14 now) that other interests (sports mainly) are starting to limit our hunting time. Thankfully they both now hunt during bow season, so we just roll from youth into bow season. Less pressure to make something happen and work around other commitments in a short two day window.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My oldest child is a nearly 5 year old girl and my wife thinks she's too young to go with. I have to agree, but maybe next year. I mentioned it to my brother and his liberal wife, since they have a 10 year old boy and his 12 year old cousin, but I didn't get anywhere with that. My hopes of getting a kid out there this year have fallen flat. I hope the rest of you guys have better luck with it than I did.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    My son is 11, and I'll be taking him out this weekend. I put him together a little Handi-Rifle in .357 Max, and he's been practicing with it ALOT the past month or so, as long as he doesn't get to exited I am confident in his marksmanship, he's actually kinda impressive out to about 50 yards or so. As thick as everything is right now in the woods, where we set up his ground blind- he won't have much over a 35 yard shot anyhow. It's hard to tell at this point who is more exited.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Teddy, I feel your pain. Mine is 6 and he wants to go out as bad as I do but my wife is saying no to it until he is 13. I am getting no support from my parents or my in-laws either. It did not help that I took he and his sister out to put up cameras and they came home covered in ticks. That made my wife very upset. I am hoping that I can change her mind by next year just to have him sit with me during an evening hunt for bow season.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Teddy, I feel your pain. Mine is 6 and he wants to go out as bad as I do but my wife is saying no to it until he is 13. I am getting no support from my parents or my in-laws either. It did not help that I took he and his sister out to put up cameras and they came home covered in ticks. That made my wife very upset. I am hoping that I can change her mind by next year just to have him sit with me during an evening hunt for bow season.

Early this year we had a bunch of ticks out where I'll be hunting (backyard). I bought a half dozen praying mantis egg cases for $20 and tossed them out back all over, and then bought 4,500 lady bugs for $20 and sprinkled them all over. The praying manits eats the ticks, the lady bugs eat the tick eggs. Since I did that, we haven't had one tick on any of us since. Even my dog has been ok. It's too late for that trick to help you this year, but maybe next year you can spend that $40 and let your wife/family know what your'e doing it for and hopefully you'll get the same results I did. For me it's something I'm going to do every year. Maybe that'll help you get a kid out next year, maybe not, but at least you won't have the tick infestation that's been pretty common around here this year.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Teddy, yes, I read your commetns on the "ticks" thread. I like the idea and may have to search you out next spring to do the same thing. I am hoping we have a long cold winter this coming season which should help with the bugs all together

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I found the bugs on Amazon and EBay so I just looked for where I got the best bang for the buck. I'll admit that I really wasnt sure or confident that it'd be as effective as it was. I'm definitely going to do it again next year around May.

24robinson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    southern indiana
    I'm so excited to take my 12 year old daughter out for her first ever hunt this weekend. She has went with me to watch fields during summer months for about 5 years and followed me to recover deer, however this year is the first time she said she would like to hunt. Kids are not on a set time frame so be patient and let the kids decide when its right for them !!! Hopefully I will be back on here this weekend telling you about the great memory we made. I haven't been this anxious for several years, hope my nerves hold up. Wish us a safe hunt !!!!

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    My son is one of the 14 Willie is "taking", so we will be out this weekend. Since I have no experience hunting, I'm grateful for organized opportunities like this so we can both learn. He had wanted a crossbow for a while (he is 11, so a while is relative), so we got him one. I have to say that thing is fun, pretty darn accurate at a reasonable distance, and on the target it packs a pretty good punch. We have already lost one field point that got buried in the wood frame around the target. He has a girlfriend whose family also has some land, so hopefully we will be able to get out with them later on too.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Mulsas,

Looking forward to hunting with you and your son.

We will have a "crossbow shooting contest" during the Saturday lull time. Also a "longbow contest and a "still board contest". It will be the youth against each other and mentors against each other..

You all will have fun,... I guarantee it.

daedrian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm taking my 6 year old, turns 7 in November, camping in two weeks. Mentioned to my wife today that I wanted to bring the .22 and try to get some squirrel and introduce him to hunting. She flat out told me NO! I've still got two weeks to work on changing her mind! I was 6 when first started shooting the little tree rats, and I want my son to experience it too. He's still a little young for deer, although he's pretty good with his bow up to 10-15 yards or so.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Mulsas,

Very nice meeting you and Alex and congratulations to Alex for winning the H and R .44 mag Handi-Rifle.
    i hope he bags a big one with it!

null_zps6fb5fb32.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom