• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You had asked me “Overestimate like how?” I was responding with what I have heard from multiple people over the years. I have heard this from people since I was a little kid and more myths on what can be done with a shotgun. These examples were just what I could think of in a timely fashion.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    It would all depend on what was happening, how much time I had to choose and bug out, where I am bugging out to ,etc.
    All my weapons are ready to go w/ammo and such ready to be packed into my CFP-90 and LBV.
    Generally I would go w/my 24" AR and shorter upper, so I could change from long range shooting to close combat/room clearing.
    Any other weapon I would need I could take from the fallen.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL well I think the comparison of a 12 gauge to a blowgun is a warning signal to bail on this conversation before it gets too silly, but before I go I'd like to thank everyone who took time out of their lives to chat a little with me.

While we might not have agreed on everything it was an interesting conversation which I hope helped some folks interested in choosing a bug out weapon, glean a little something from it which helps them make their decision on which weapon platform is the correct one for their needs.

I do hope those of you thinking of gathering their needed supplies by use or threat of force (not pointing fingers at anyone in peticular, mearly addressing those following this thread anonymously to whom it applies to) rethink the decision to walk down the predatory path.

Speaking of which that'd be a pretty interesting Glen Beck topic: "post-SHTF, determining good guy from goblin?"

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Well, interesting thread. It might be more productive if we inject some mission needs. I'm thinking of things like: a gun that will be used for hunting game (small to deer), for defensive purposes out to a max of 200 yards (if need be), for which you can easily carry a minimum of 300 rounds (on foot?), fix yourself with a spare parts kit, etc.

Any interest in starting a new thread with parameters like that?

Of course a premise of the question is that "bugging out" is the best course of action, when often "bugging in" will be the best route, but for the purposes of discussion we can leave that for later.

Last edited:

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Being that I'm a firefighter, if it's a local disaster type of SHTF, I probably won't be grabbing a weapon. I'll probably grab an axe and a halligan and go to work. Now for civil unrest type of SHTF, I'll be grabbing my M1A, and the wife will be carrying my M4. Along with my HK USP and her XD.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Being that I'm a firefighter, if it's a local disaster type of SHTF, I probably won't be grabbing a weapon. I'll probably grab an axe and a halligan and go to work. Now for civil unrest type of SHTF, I'll be grabbing my M1A, and the wife will be carrying my M4. Along with my HK USP and her XD.

thats awesome! :yesway:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    don't own an AR (yet) since I keep my pistols loaded and nearby..I'd probably take the .45 and leave the 9mm and the shotgun behind for the wife, kids and house.

Depending on the scenario, ...I'd acquire an AR as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    don't own an AR (yet) since I keep my pistols loaded and nearby..I'd probably take the .45 and leave the 9mm and the shotgun behind for the wife, kids and house.

Depending on the scenario, ...I'd acquire an AR as soon as possible.

good point, ... a decked out AR ... is going to be one PRIME target during a time of lawlessness.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    good point, ... a decked out AR ... is going to be one PRIME target during a time of lawlessness.

Thats why us Veterans will need to get those people trained ;) And tell them to take that crap off the rifle - except for the optic! Hence the Militia leadership at work!

scububbs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    The strength of shotguns lie in their unmatched versatility. Rifles can't come close to being as useful on a wide variety of targets inside 100 yards. I chose a .22, but that's because I don't have my own shotgun yet, and .22 ammo weighs nothing compared to significant quantities of shotgun ammo. Besides, if we were forced to bug out and try to get to friends or family, my wife and son would each have their 20 gauges to go along with my lil .22. Fighting is something we'd try awfully hard to avoid in a bug out situation. Actually, being seen at all is something we'd be trying to avoid LOl.

That is an excellent point. In a bug out staying hidden is always going to be your best bet.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    I hope you were kidding?

Threads like this really show how good people like to think bad thoughts.
    Id guess that it was with a hint of sarcasm...but id venture to say the reality is that the person you trust as a neighbor would harm you if it meant the survival of their family. True human nature is very ugly, the sooner anyone realizes it, the longer youll survive in a SHTF scenario.:twocents:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I hope you were kidding?
    Threads like this really show how good people like to think bad thoughts.

Thank You, I am good people. :)

I'm basing my response on a very real SHTF scenario, not a "Gee its a sucky day in America-HTF" type day.

In a defensive position you constantly fortify your position. Which includes food, water, weapons and ammo. I would defend my home and family to the best of my means.

I really hope your signature line is not true..."All flash and no bang". That makes you sound like a potential victom, just an observation.

:yesway: :patriot:

Id guess that it was with a hint of sarcasm...but id venture to say the reality is that the person you trust as a neighbor would harm you if it meant the survival of their family. True human nature is very ugly, the sooner anyone realizes it, the longer youll survive in a SHTF scenario.:twocents:

Yes Sir there was some sarcasm mixed in there as well. :D

And I also agree with your post. :yesway: :patriot:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008

Actually, humans are social creatures according to Sociology; we bond with others to survive as a group. Whether you want to believe it or not - most people will bond and create groups to survive. Think of Jericho :yesway:
    The thinking of one against all is VERY DANGEROUS....

Top Bottom