• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    If you can only grab one...go for the rifle? pistol? shotgun? etc?

from a selection of a glock19, rem 870, and ar15

id go with the 870 and as much shells I can carry.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Just one gun?

My .22 rifle.

Actually, my wife's Rossi with interchangeable 20 guage and .22LR barrels, but I wasn't sure you'd let me get away with that LOL.

.22 can take anything I need it to. From squirrels to people, and and a brick of ammo doesn't weigh didly compared to just a few rounds of other ammo.

Edit: I can't imagine a scenario that would have me reaching for bug out guns that would have me reaching for just one, though.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What kind of "bug out" scenario are we talking about here? I would choose differently if I was evacuating to my folks' place across town for a few days due to a power outage or localized disaster, as opposed to heading for my buddy's ranch in Kansas to ride out the collapse of civilization as we know it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Really depends on the scenario:

Average neighborhood patrol:
    Arsenal 5.56 AK, light kit (less mags than my "expeditionary pack").

This does bring up a key thing. You mention only one gun, but realistically, my Go to rifle is right next to my bag, which has my mags and my secondary (Smith model 10), all loaded, ready to go. Exercises like the one given really reminds us that we should have our items and weaponry ready to go at all times so that we dont run into a "what would you grab if you only had time for one" situations.

Good post man! :D

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I would have to say if just one my glock 23. But again it depends on the situation. The ideal way would be grab 3 my ar, my glock 23, and my Ithaca model 37.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    First choice would be my M4, second would be my Ithica 37 DS/PS 12ga. But as others have mentioned it would really depend on the situation.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I would have to say if just one my glock 23. But again it depends on the situation. The ideal way would be grab 3 my ar, my glock 23, and my Ithaca model 37.

DAMN!! We picked the same guns, almost. For a handgun I'd have to take one of my 1911s or my G33! I love the way you can slam fire an Ithica.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    The only thing is you can only slam fire the older ones. I wish I had a old police issue Ithaca I kick myself for passing on one about 4 years ago and have never seen another one that was reasonably priced.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My G19 is always on me so that is a given.

I would add my AK. No way would I grab my shotgun. (mossy 500)

After training with it, vs an AK, they are slow and awkward. It was clearly evident that the AK was better, for fighting men.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Well, I usually have a pistol on my side and you said I can grab one......that means I will have 2, the one I grab and the one I have on me.

But for a SHTF scenario I would definitely grab the AK

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    something to think about: You're intricate weapon may need parts. some of the picks I've seen on this post may require more maintenance and parts than can be obtained...

FWIW

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    You can send three times more lead downrange with your Mossberg 590 than you can with your AK in the same amount of time & without reloading.

Yeah, but past about 25 yards, the AK is going to be more accurate and effective, and when it does come time to reload, it will be a HELL of a lot faster than the shotgun as well.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I have often thought about my henry lever .22MAG. 11 shots, sealed chamber/bolt, good on man sized targets to 100, plus it wouldn't destroy small game to eat, can carry 2K rounds (about10 lbs.) Pretty darn accurate and not breaking the bank to practice with. The only real part I would worry about replacing would be the tube spring, since it's a rimfire it is more reliable.

I had thought about my XCR, it would be my first choice. Down side, getting spare firing pins for ARs isn't like going to the hardware store. Carrying large amouts of ammo, well, it would suck.

I think a low maintenance weapon, with readily available ammo, and spare parts is a must. Hands down. Even an M1a will break a firing pin every once in a while. And, being able to carry an amount of ammo that would carry your life for a while.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    God post! My CZ P01 would be the handgun, then my 12 gauge pump (Charles Daly) and my M4. (I don't have an AK but I might remedy that situation soon.)

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shooter,

25 yards? LOL I suggest that you try shooting 12 gauge 00 buck at some man-sized targets at 100 yards, granted the pattern will be too greatly dispersed for "hunting purposes" but you'll still get a few hits on that target & on a thin skinned (& will'd) critter like a man that should be enough to either kill them (depending on where they hit) or at the very least take the fight out of them.

But yea I'll agree that slapping a magazine into an AK is generally a little quicker than slanking 9 shells into a shotgun is (unless the insertion was bungled, which is sort of easy to do on an AK if your in a hurry).

Top Bottom