picture.php

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I guess you missed the part where Romney said he would support the ban if Dems AND reps agreed to it

I dont see how .... How does that transcript NOT say he supports a ban if both sides agree on it?

After Crowley asked, Romney repeated what he said about what happened in his state. He did not say, "I will support the ban if Dems AND reps agreed to it".

What he did say specifically and in plain terms is "I'm not in favor of new pieces of legislation on - on guns and - and taking guns away - or making certain guns illegal.

In my interpretation of English, I'll take the most direct statement as what he supports, rather than reading into a less direct statement, some meaning that contradicts the more direct statement.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    After Crowley asked, Romney repeated what he said about what happened in his state. He did not say, "I will support the ban if Dems AND reps agreed to it".

What he did say specifically and in plain terms is "I'm not in favor of new pieces of legislation on - on guns and - and taking guns away - or making certain guns illegal.

In my interpretation of English, I'll take the most direct statement as what he supports, rather than reading into a less direct statement, some meaning that contradicts the more direct statement.

Willard didn't come out and say it. He doesn't want to lose his support from the NRA (not that they would have too big of a problem if there was an AWB, that would give them something to fight) and gun lovers. When asked if he'd be for doing what he did in his state, he couldn't say no. He just repeated something about it being bipartisan and needing that in Washington.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

I guess you could say dems and reps was a metaphor for pro gun and anti gun folks. Could you possibly give us your English interpretation of the following because to me this says he would have no problem signing a bill for more anti gun legislation:

"Well, Candy, actually, in my state, the pro-gun folks and the anti-gun folks came together and put together a piece of legislation, and it’s referred to as a — as an assault weapon ban, but it had at the signing of the bill both the pro-gun and the anti- gun people came together, because it provided opportunities for both that both wanted. There were hunting opportunities, for instance, that hadn’t previously been available and so forth. So it was a mutually agreed upon piece of legislation. "

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I guess you could say dems and reps was a metaphor for pro gun and anti gun folks. Could you possibly give us your English interpretation of the following because to me this says he would have no problem signing a bill for more anti gun legislation:

"Well, Candy, actually, in my state, the pro-gun folks and the anti-gun folks came together and put together a piece of legislation, and it’s referred to as a — as an assault weapon ban, but it had at the signing of the bill both the pro-gun and the anti- gun people came together, because it provided opportunities for both that both wanted. There were hunting opportunities, for instance, that hadn’t previously been available and so forth. So it was a mutually agreed upon piece of legislation. "

I quoted dems and reps because that's what you said. But I agee that he meant pro and anti organizations. On the national level, I suppose that would be orgs like the NRA and the Brady Bunch.

Good luck getting those two groups to come together and agree on anything.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    In other words, "I don't care what's right or wrong - I have no position on guns until Congress tells me what to do; I'll sign any gun control bill Congress sends me."

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I quoted dems and reps because that's what you said. But I agee that he meant pro and anti organizations. On the national level, I suppose that would be orgs like the NRA and the Brady Bunch.

Good luck getting those two groups to come together and agree on anything.

You're much more trusting of the NRA than I am. Then again, when an organization has a piece of trash like Nugent on the board...I'm not going to respect them all that much.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In other words, "I don't care what's right or wrong - I have no position on guns until Congress tells me what to do; I'll sign any gun control bill Congress sends me."

it seems obvious Romney doesn't really know much about guns, gun laws, issues, especially on the national level. He's supporting a pro-2a position because it's what he has to do on the national level.

But I don't think he would sign just "any gun control bill Congress sends him." If the Republicans supported some gun legislation, he would likely defer to the party line.

Bottom line, I don't think there will be any more restrictive gun legislation in a Romney administration.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You're much more trusting of the NRA than I am. Then again, when an organization has a piece of trash like Nugent on the board...I'm not going to respect them all that much.

Not all that trusting of the NRA either.

I have to agree with you on Nugent. I don't think he represents gun owners very well.

Top Bottom