You hear voices outside your front door after midnight, what do you do???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • You think threads like this are

• Total voters

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    My first thought is that you've made it too easy for them to get in.

Ideally - they should never get past the locked screen door. If they manage to pry that off it's hinges, they'll then have to break down the foam-core steel entrance door with deadlock. Any attempt at that would set-off the ADT home alarm system.

If they breech all that, they'll have to deal with my German Shepard... and then me with a 12 guage and 9mm.

I'd imagine the cops would arrive long before it got that far.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Depends all on where I am...
    Some places, I just roll back over and go to sleep...
    Some places I let the Dogs handle the problem...
    Other Places, I roll over pick up my Clacker and squeeze it 3 times to make the bad man stop...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    In the presented scenario, I agree, wife has her own gun, I have a pistol or a shotty or both. She's behind me with the kid, out of the line of fire. The stairway is now a fatal funnel. Anything coming up it is in the line of fire. That the door was breached as described is enough to tell me whoever did it is not there for coffee at 2AM, and if they are, too bad; this ain't IHOP. I've not had to draw on another human in my life. I don't want to sully that record, but if they're in my house, they made the decision that someone was going to get hurt or killed. At that point, my job is to make sure that that injured or killed person is not a member of my family, and those are the only people I'm worried about. It sounds cold to put it this way, but facts don't always leave much room for warm fuzzies.

Blessings,
    Bill

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    You all missed the obvious.... he ate Taco Bell, there is a good chance this is just a nightmare.

That aside, I say give the wife the AR and tell her there are two people in the house that want to hurt her baby. Problem solved within minutes.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    In the presented scenario, I agree, wife has her own gun, I have a pistol or a shotty or both. She's behind me with the kid, out of the line of fire. The stairway is now a fatal funnel. Anything coming up it is in the line of fire. That the door was breached as described is enough to tell me whoever did it is not there for coffee at 2AM, and if they are, too bad; this ain't IHOP. I've not had to draw on another human in my life. I don't want to sully that record, but if they're in my house, they made the decision that someone was going to get hurt or killed. At that point, my job is to make sure that that injured or killed person is not a member of my family, and those are the only people I'm worried about. It sounds cold to put it this way, but facts don't always leave much room for warm fuzzies.

Blessings,
    Bill
    that does not sound cold at all Bill, sounds perfectly normal to me.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    You all missed the obvious.... he ate Taco Bell, there is a good chance this is just a nightmare.

That aside, I say give the wife the AR and tell her there are two people in the house that want to hurt her baby. Problem solved within minutes.

Somebody picked up on it, finally! No one has really addressed what comes with ye olde mexican colonic. Mainly dehydration, sore midsection, shakes, and likely less than stellar mental acuity and reaction times.

Syxxthkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    have the wife and kid get down in the kids room, you take a handgun and pop off the first one to hit the stairs, the rest will leave if the cops are not there by then

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    For possible future legal purposes, I will not answer what I would do.

However, I believe the person in the op story should have shot the intruders during the door breaching. He was already awake and saw them coming up the road. He should have already been armed and waiting inside the house nearest the invaders. The moment the invaders started breaching the door, he should have shot at them (even through the door).

Some old man around South Bend a few years ago did the same thing and was cleared as being a self defense shooting (if memory serves me right).

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Good senario... first I would have put wife on phone with pistol she was familiar with in the kids room and bar the door before they breached.

As for black rifle fall out, F*#K'em its my house, my wife, my child..

I would have taken up a good position where I could take them out as they came in the door. Pistol, bat, black rifle, knife, any means possible to stop the threat. And stop means for good. To cover your behind you could set a video camera up to record them breaking in and you dispatching them.. oh make sure to warn them you have a weapon and they should not move as they fall to the floor leaking..

Just my thoughts. I don't know anything..

Last edited:

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    grab the shotgun,pump it and start to count slowly 1..............2.................. shot if you get to 3 but you may have to replace all the damm drywall of the living room or spend days cleaning guts from the walls. to me is simple, if you pass my door univitated you are subject to be kill at any time without notice no questions ask.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I would be at the end of the hall, with a shotgun, and a pistol. Wife, gf, significant other, with kids, and a gun of HER choice with the phone and wait till the shootin starts .....

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Give a Warning....
    Really?!

Warnings at Stately Plowboy Manor are...
    1.) If, by chance you are close enough to hear me say Pass Auf...
    2.) When the German Shepherds come out running and snarling at you...
    3.) When I shot your Friend...

Y'know, I went back and re-read the scenario again and have reconsidered. Because I have grown children with keys to my house, my mindset is "Be absolutely sure, without a doubt, that it's a BG I'm shooting at." But in the scenario the OP posted, there's not a shadow of doubt who has come into my house and what their intentions are (bad ones).

Also, the scenario has other family involved that I would be responsible for. Add those two factors together, and I swing over to shooting without warning.

However, the way I'm interpreting the scenario is that the odds would be overwhelmingly in my favor. If they have concealed guns, they will have to draw them, whereas I've got an AR pointed at them. So if it's me, myself and I, and not 100% sure who else is there, I'd stick by original comment.

Funny how I read a scenario, but then immediately change it somehow to fit my actual situation.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Get my wife to crack open the front door and scream "You'd better get the F*** outta here!" Like she actually did one time!

Your wife is like mine. 8.5 mos pregnant, while I am still running down the steps loading the shotgun she is out the door yelling at the guy who is half inside our truck. He dropped everything in the yard and there was the distinct smell of fecal matter in the air. I dare say she was much scarier than I.

Top Bottom